GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

TPMS registering

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-20, 05:48 PM
fortega
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 6speediroc
Just to update..ordered one of these and it took a month to arrive. The cable driver won't install on a Windows 7 or Windows 10 64bit system..vendor says they recommend Windows 7 32 bit. Anyone else get this to work on a 64bit system, ideally windows 10?
Mine took just as long to arrive. And I spent about that long getting it to work with Windows 10 64. I tried so many options I don't remember how I got it working.
Old 02-11-20, 06:01 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 224 Posts

There is a way to make it work on a 64-bit OS but for all the time and hassle, for me, it was easier to install a 32bit OS. I have win7 32bit running in a Virtual box on my macOS.
Old 02-11-20, 05:51 PM
6speediroc
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I have windows 7 32 bit on a virtual machine setup with everything installed, but can't get the cable to connect for some reason. Can't seem to run the firmware update step..
Old 02-25-20, 12:49 PM
6speediroc
Driver

Hey fellas, I'm still wrestling with this thing and getting the cable to connect on an old windows 7 32bit.
What did you use for the cable driver?
There doesn't seem to be one on the cd provided. I can download one from drewtech.com. Anyone else need to do this?
Old 02-25-20, 02:45 PM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by 6speediroc
Hey fellas, I'm still wrestling with this thing and getting the cable to connect on an old windows 7 32bit.
What did you use for the cable driver?
There doesn't seem to be one on the cd provided. I can download one from drewtech.com. Anyone else need to do this?
I downloaded the drivers from the drewtech site.
Old 02-26-20, 07:02 PM
6speediroc
Driver

It works! Just reprogrammed my TPMS and all other data streams work fine as well.
The support on this product is a joke from the vendor.

I installed the techstream software provided on a Windows 7 64bit with the "MongoosePro JLR" driver from drewtech.com and voila. Hopefully others can use this info.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (02-26-20)
Old 08-06-20, 11:02 PM
elysium
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, sorry for reviving an old thread. Thought it made more sense to reply here than making a brand new one. I have a 4th Gen GS350 ('13) and recently had a flashing TPMS light. Go into the local Firestone, they say I need a new TPMS. I just let them do it, as they've done one before (though, they bought the sensor from Toyota the previous time, and used something in stock this time) and I trust them to be able to do another. The new TPMS clears the flashing orange light, but has the dreaded --- (dashes) dashboard readouts. Firestone tells me I need to go to the dealer to have them program them into my ECU.

Begrudgingly I go to the dealer, and the dealership immediately tells me they want $170 diagnostic fee to do anything. An hour later, they tell me the Firestone put in an aftermarket TPMS and they can't do anything for me. I would have to pay them another $170 to have them take out the old TPMS, put in a new TPMS. At this point I'm not sure who to believe and I go to a body shop I trust with a ODB2 tool. They scan the ECU with their snap-on odb reader, and sure enough, it seems like the car is reading the pressures from all 4 tires (see picture below) the 5th tire is set to ID 00000000 so it wasn't pulling a spare's pressure. However, my dash readout is still reading dashes for all four wheels "---". My body shop even re-entered all the TPMS IDs in there again just to see if that would resolve anything - TPMS orange light came on, but quickly went off. Even tried the button under the dash - nothing. The car has been driven 10 miles between every step, so driving it around doesn't seem to fix anything.

What am I to do in this situation? Technically I guess the Firestone installed it correctly as the ECU is reading the pressure. Why wouldn't it show on the dashboard at this point? Do our 4th Gen GS have a switch between summer and winter sets? Is this something I can fix myself with a mongoose cable and a copy of Techstream? Very confused on what is going on and how to resolve this without throwing more money at the dealer.

ecu reading

Carista showing pressures from all four tires.

Last edited by elysium; 08-07-20 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-07-20, 07:17 AM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by elysium
Hey guys, sorry for reviving an old thread. Thought it made more sense to reply here than making a brand new one. I have a 4th Gen GS350 ('13) and recently had a flashing TPMS light. Go into the local Firestone, they say I need a new TPMS. I just let them do it, as they've done one before (though, they bought the sensor from Toyota the previous time, and used something in stock this time) and I trust them to be able to do another. The new TPMS clears the flashing orange light, but has the dreaded --- (dashes) dashboard readouts. Firestone tells me I need to go to the dealer to have them program them into my ECU.

Begrudgingly I go to the dealer, and the dealership immediately tells me they want $170 diagnostic fee to do anything. An hour later, they tell me the Firestone put in an aftermarket TPMS and they can't do anything for me. I would have to pay them another $170 to have them take out the old TPMS, put in a new TPMS. At this point I'm not sure who to believe and I go to a body shop I trust with a ODB2 tool. They scan the ECU with their snap-on odb reader, and sure enough, it seems like the car is reading the pressures from all 4 tires (see picture below) the 5th tire is set to ID 00000000 so it wasn't pulling a spare's pressure. However, my dash readout is still reading dashes for all four wheels "---". My body shop even re-entered all the TPMS IDs in there again just to see if that would resolve anything - TPMS orange light came on, but quickly went off. Even tried the button under the dash - nothing. The car has been driven 10 miles between every step, so driving it around doesn't seem to fix anything.

What am I to do in this situation? Technically I guess the Firestone installed it correctly as the ECU is reading the pressure. Why wouldn't it show on the dashboard at this point? Do our 3rdG GS have a switch between summer and winter sets? Is this something I can fix myself with a mongoose cable and a copy of Techstream? Very confused on what is going on and how to resolve this without throwing more money at the dealer.

ecu reading

Carista showing pressures from all four tires.
Did Firestone install the correct "version" of the TPMS? They may have installed the wrong production year sensor into your wheels. TPMS sensor from a later year GS may not work on an earlier year GS. They will show the pressure readings in techstream or an OBDII app but the TPMS ECU won't be able to display the info in the MID.

I learn that the hard way when I installed the TPMS from my 06 to my 13. It will read in techstream but it only display dashes in the gauge.
Old 08-07-20, 07:37 AM
elysium
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MX73
Did Firestone install the correct "version" of the TPMS? They may have installed the wrong production year sensor into your wheels. TPMS sensor from a later year GS may not work on an earlier year GS. They will show the pressure readings in techstream or an OBDII app but the TPMS ECU won't be able to display the info in the MID.

I learn that the hard way when I installed the TPMS from my 06 to my 13. It will read in techstream but it only display dashes in the gauge.
That's my fear, is that they didn't use a correct tpms. My existing sensors all have aluminum stems, and the tpms they put in has a cheapo rubber stem, so definitely not stock / denso.

I'm just confused as to how the ECU can see the data from the sensors but it not pull into the dashboard display.
Old 08-08-20, 07:12 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

Dashes mean that the car cannot localize the sensors (determine which sensor is in which corner). In this cases Lexus decides not to display pressures at all.

AFAIK there are two separate initiation antennas - one for the front sensors and one for the rears. Left vs. right is determined by the directions the sensors rotate.

To work properly the sensor need to have a well defined sensitivity as not to be triggered by a wrong antenna. Aftermarket sensors seem to be more sensitive - hence the dashes.

My guess would be the shop just cloned the existing sensor ID onto the aftermarket one.

Soooo, just live with dashes of get the OEM sensor. The TPMS warning light should still come up in case of low pressure with either setup (again AFAIK - you may test it just by deflating one of the wheels).
The following 2 users liked this post by NdYAG:
elysium (08-10-20), thisguy_06 (01-25-21)
Old 08-10-20, 10:18 AM
elysium
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NdYAG
Dashes mean that the car cannot localize the sensors (determine which sensor is in which corner). In this cases Lexus decides not to display pressures at all.

AFAIK there are two separate initiation antennas - one for the front sensors and one for the rears. Left vs. right is determined by the directions the sensors rotate.

To work properly the sensor need to have a well defined sensitivity as not to be triggered by a wrong antenna. Aftermarket sensors seem to be more sensitive - hence the dashes.

My guess would be the shop just cloned the existing sensor ID onto the aftermarket one.

Soooo, just live with dashes of get the OEM sensor. The TPMS warning light should still come up in case of low pressure with either setup (again AFAIK - you may test it just by deflating one of the wheels).
That would make total sense then. I managed to get the dealership to at least give me one OEM sensor for my trouble. I wish the dealership had explained it like you just had instead of just blanket saying the aftermarket sensor wasn't sending a signal. I'll have the Firestone swap out their part for the Lexus part (which seems to be the same Denso Pacific sensor everyone gets on Rockauto. Fingers crossed it was this and not some other component that broke.
Measured (01-25-21)
Old 01-24-21, 02:09 PM
TheWizard
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NdYAG

Wifey's 2014 GS350 has developed the dreaded dashes. Then, a week later, the TPMS light came on as well. All four tires have OEM TPMS. I manually checked the tires and all the pressures are about 40psi. I tried the reset procedure with the button way under the steering column. No luck. Not sure what to do at this point. Why would we have these issues if we have never swapped the TPMS's?

If it's a dead battery in one of the TPMS's, I would think 3 out of 4 tires would work properly and the 4th would have a dash.
Old 01-24-21, 02:15 PM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by TheWizard
Wifey's 2014 GS350 has developed the dreaded dashes. Then, a week later, the TPMS light came on as well. All four tires have OEM TPMS. I manually checked the tires and all the pressures are about 40psi. I tried the reset procedure with the button way under the steering column. No luck. Not sure what to do at this point. Why would we have these issues if we have never swapped the TPMS's?

If it's a dead battery in one of the TPMS's, I would think 3 out of 4 tires would work properly and the 4th would have a dash.
Yes, 3 out of 4 can still work properly if a battery dies in one of them.

Besides, the button under the dash is not a reset button. It is to set a new threshold value for whatever PSI is currently in your tires. It has nothing to do with resetting the sensor. Since you have 40 PSI in all tires, the new threshold that the system will warn you of a low tire is now about 32-34PSI.
thisguy_06 (01-25-21)
Old 01-25-21, 07:14 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 58 Posts

My local shop that I had order my new wheels (still waiting for them to arrive) was shocked when I said I didn't want to buy their TPMS's they sold. The owner asked me if I am sure they work as he says "because we just clones them with our tool, are yours vehicle specific" to which I replied "yup!". Worst case scenario is I have to use my OBD dongle from Carista or get the dealership to do it.

Old 01-25-21, 10:09 PM
2ND2NO1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just purchase a set of tpms from America tires and they programmed it the car without any issues. Kept my stock tpms on another set wheels and was told to bring the car back in if it needed to be reprogrammed at no charge.

Quick Reply: TPMS registering