GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 aimgain rep front bumper conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-23, 12:56 PM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts
Default 2013 aimgain rep front bumper conversion

so i've got the opportunity to buy this aimgain rep front bumper locally, it's already painted, but ill have to end up repainting it. unfortunately, the shop the guy was using to paint and install had trouble with the fitment. I was just wondering how hard it was for those who installed the other 16+ front bumpers, and if they had any major issues with the fitment that would prevent me from getting this installed myself?

just considering my options at the moment, i want to eventually get a front end conversion, but should i buy this one where the guy had trouble installing, or go to alibaba/ebay and grab the 16+ fsport/gsf ones that everyone else has got.

thanks in advance.

Old 07-27-23, 02:41 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

did they paint it before having it fitted?
Old 07-27-23, 03:16 PM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kietlander
did they paint it before having it fitted?
yes, looks like it..i guess the shop thought it'd be a breeze, which is why i'm a bit hesitant.
Old 07-27-23, 06:27 PM
EAST
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Not sure how different this bumper is from the OEM but I tend to be more cautious. If a shop who presumably have the tools to try "make it work" ​​​​​couldn't fit it then I'm not sure if you'll have better luck.

But maybe there's a trick to it. Is it really cheap?
The following users liked this post:
ph0bolus (07-28-23)
Old 07-27-23, 06:55 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,135 Likes on 841 Posts

Originally Posted by ph0bolus
so i've got the opportunity to buy this aimgain rep front bumper locally, it's already painted, but ill have to end up repainting it. unfortunately, the shop the guy was using to paint and install had trouble with the fitment. I was just wondering how hard it was for those who installed the other 16+ front bumpers, and if they had any major issues with the fitment that would prevent me from getting this installed myself?
just considering my options at the moment, i want to eventually get a front end conversion, but should i buy this one where the guy had trouble installing, or go to alibaba/ebay and grab the 16+ fsport/gsf ones that everyone else has got.
thanks in advance.
Another member went the aimgain route and also had fitment issues. I would take a look at this thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10435919

I think with any aftermarket bumper, there have been some trials and tribulations. As long as you're are open to taking on the challenge or have a good shop that can handle it, it will definitely add an aggressive, updated look to the front-end.

The following 2 users liked this post by AJLex19:
jgscott (07-27-23), ph0bolus (07-28-23)
Old 07-27-23, 08:33 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,270 Likes on 1,008 Posts

I have been trying to figure on one of those style bumper myself. Seems from Facebook post and here on CL they are hit or miss. My friend got the ebay one and ended up with the hood gap. Others have installed the ebay one and no gap. Some have done some fitting and adjusting and it came out fine. There should be no expectation that it will just match up like it should. I have seen the advise of using the GS F hood latch, changing out the top inside radiator support, and/or also removing the foam bumper impact Absorber.

Customizing it to fit at a body shop is also going to depend on how well the body shop is at this stuff. Some body shops are stock to stock replacement and repair only. Anything else they don't want to deal with vs, working on a big money Insurance repair jobs instead. I would venture to guess that the body shop that had that one was not so great, but idk. I personally don't like the Aimgain design one. The bottom holes are extra big and there is just a little too much extra flare on the bottom left and right.

Seems you said it was a rep, then you have to repaint it, then it may need fitting if it can be, and one place has already failed. It would have to be at a dirt low price for me to even consider it. It seems like it's a risk and a possible loss of way more money than buying one just primed unpainted yourself, because they are going to have to prep that painted one to repaint it doing even more extra work costing even more money.
The following users liked this post:
ph0bolus (07-28-23)
Old 07-28-23, 09:36 AM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EAST
Not sure how different this bumper is from the OEM but I tend to be more cautious. If a shop who presumably have the tools to try "make it work" ​​​​​couldn't fit it then I'm not sure if you'll have better luck.

But maybe there's a trick to it. Is it really cheap?
they're wanting 1k, which is probably about 200-300 off what it would be if i bought it from alibaba/ebay myself. i'd probably take a chance on it if i didn't have to repaint it to stargazer black metallic.

I have been trying to figure on one of those style bumper myself. Seems from Facebook post and here on CL they are hit or miss. My friend got the ebay one and ended up with the hood gap. Others have installed the ebay one and no gap. Some have done some fitting and adjusting and it came out fine. There should be no expectation that it will just match up like it should. I have seen the advise of using the GS F hood latch, changing out the top inside radiator support, and/or also removing the foam bumper impact Absorber.

Customizing it to fit at a body shop is also going to depend on how well the body shop is at this stuff. Some body shops are stock to stock replacement and repair only. Anything else they don't want to deal with vs, working on a big money Insurance repair jobs instead. I would venture to guess that the body shop that had that one was not so great, but idk. I personally don't like the Aimgain design one. The bottom holes are extra big and there is just a little too much extra flare on the bottom left and right.

Seems you said it was a rep, then you have to repaint it, then it may need fitting if it can be, and one place has already failed. It would have to be at a dirt low price for me to even consider it. It seems like it's a risk and a possible loss of way more money than buying one just primed unpainted yourself, because they are going to have to prep that painted one to repaint it doing even more extra work costing even more money.
the shop they took it to works primarily with lexus', and the owner has a few lexus' himself, so that's why i'm a bit hesitant to buy it if even he couldn't get it to fit right, but then again, maybe he only has experience with oem bumpers and not chinese ones. that's true about repainting it though, i'd only be saving about $200-300 buying it locally as opposed to going to alibaba/ebay, and would probably have to shell out another $400 to get it repainted.

Last edited by ph0bolus; 07-28-23 at 09:40 AM.