GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

!HAPPY WINTER! How to drift GS450H in full Hybrid Power

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-19, 08:49 AM
Stilkus
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default !HAPPY WINTER! How to drift GS450H in full Hybrid Power

To GS450H Owners, Happy winter and here's how to drift your car in FULL power, and not only the petrol engine in Maintenance mode.
To do that, we need to switch the CERTIFICATE mode on, and don't forget to charge the battery beforehand.
To charge the battery in standstill conditions, put the gear in D, press the brake in fully, then at the same time hold the Gas pedal to about 15-25% ( till the revs climb a very little bit and you feel the engine loaded ), then it should begin slowly to top off.

to Activate Certificate Mode,
  1. Pull the handbrake
  2. with the gear in P, press the start button without the brake pedal to switch the ignition on
  3. (the following sequence has to be done fast) firstly, press the gas pedal fully till the end 3 times consecutively.
  4. shift to D using the brake pedal
  5. again 3 times gas pedal needs to be pressed to the metal
  6. shift to P without the brake pedal
  7. again press the gas pedal to the max 3 consecutive times.
  8. CERTIFICATE MODE should be displayed with various VSC errors
  9. Press the brake, then the power button, Ready is shown on the tacho.
  10. Happy Drifting
The following 4 users liked this post by Stilkus:
hybridguru (09-26-21), Lwerewolf (12-14-19), petershen (08-03-21), ThE0nE (04-26-21)
Old 12-14-19, 05:20 PM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts

Just tried...

In short, as described above - full power, no traction systems.

I wouldn't do this on open roads, I drove towards a "drift spot" (big empty asphalt patch in the middle of nowhere) nearby, let's say that it's way too easy to slide

No comparison to maintenance mode - the car easily goes sideways in the dry (5 degrees and 225/50/17 winter tires set but still), don't want to imagine what it'll be in the wet.

Keep in mind that VSC/VDIM is completely off - no help even if you slam on the brakes or something.. use responsibly
The following users liked this post:
Stilkus (12-15-19)
Old 12-15-19, 02:05 AM
Stilkus
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Just tried...

In short, as described above - full power, no traction systems.

I wouldn't do this on open roads, I drove towards a "drift spot" (big empty asphalt patch in the middle of nowhere) nearby, let's say that it's way too easy to slide

No comparison to maintenance mode - the car easily goes sideways in the dry (5 degrees and 225/50/17 winter tires set but still), don't want to imagine what it'll be in the wet.

Keep in mind that VSC/VDIM is completely off - no help even if you slam on the brakes or something.. use responsibly
I agree with the brakes being somehow lame in this Mode. Good that you mentioned that 👍..
Old 12-16-19, 03:27 AM
rryba
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Is anyone know that can harm some hybrid components system ? In european version, when i hold traction button long enough, it will shout down traction fully off. Does this trick do more than that ?
Old 12-16-19, 05:38 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

1) The gears are not locked (maintenance mode seems to lock the car in "high gear", hence the low power). Potential upshifts in the middle of a drift, so go easy on it - car can upshift as soon as 90kph (EU version, US/JDM even earlier). Controlling "wheel speed" is difficult as power output is somewhat delayed, and engine revs are not locked in any way to the output shaft revs.
2) All the usual risks associated with running EVs without traction control - back-EMF potentially killing inverters.

That said, I don't think I've ever heard of that happen... most blown inverters seem to have been due to other reasons.

At least in my case (eu-spec gs450h, manuf. 07/2008), holding the trac button won't turn off VDIM - it will spin the wheels, but traction kicks in as soon as the car starts sliding sideways at, say, 10kph+... actually I think it kicks in even earlier if it thinks it'll spin out. 60kph+ forces it on no matter what. Again, for regular driving, this is very much what you want in this vehicle - there's way more power than you think, and it comes on quite suddenly and violently... I floored it in certification mode at 50kph uphill and it was not easy to control at all - huge wheel, very little steering feedback... and who knows what the VGRS was doing. VDIM is there for a reason

And again the brakes - they "let off" for 1/4 sec just before coming to a full stop or something - don't know the reason. On a sidenote, does anybody else's gs450h have a delay when pressing the brakes? If I floor the brakes, especially at low speeds, there is a very small but noticeable delay (100-200ms or something) before they apply - and the application is quite sudden, which leads to the wheels skidding, even at 5kph. Very annoying when trying to maneouver around tight city streets. I haven't bled the ABS unit itself, so maybe it's that...
Old 04-25-21, 08:28 AM
ThE0nE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I own 2007 EU GS450h. Today I tried to enter certificate mode but I just didn't worked. Then I tried maintenance mode and it worked.

Can any of you youtube the pedal dance or maybe describe better the process. Maybe I'm missing something out.

Thanks
Old 04-26-21, 07:07 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

It's like maintenance mode but with steps on the pedals instead of 2. The procedure described above is the correct one.
Old 04-26-21, 07:22 AM
ThE0nE
Driver School Candidate

My understand of the steps, correct me if I'm wrong:
  1. Pull the handbrake - not sure, since it is foot brake and not hand. So what "pull handbrake" means? handbrake ON or OFF? I leave handbrake ON. And is this requirement or part of the pedal dance? Should I have handbrake OFF when I start this dance?
  2. with the gear in P, press the start button without the brake pedal to switch the ignition on - 1 click doesn't switch to ignition ON. I have to click 2 times.
  3. (the following sequence has to be done fast) firstly, press the gas pedal fully till the end 3 times consecutively - press gas pedal to the metal and release - 3x times (total time 1 second)
  4. shift to D using the brake pedal - press on brake and shift to D, release brake
  5. again 3 times gas pedal needs to be pressed to the metal - press gas pedal to the metal and release - 3x times (total time 1 second)
  6. shift to P without the brake pedal - shift from D to P
  7. again press the gas pedal to the max 3 consecutive times. - press gas pedal to the metal and release - 3x times (total time 1 second)
  8. CERTIFICATE MODE should be displayed with various VSC errors - never appear this after previous step
  9. Press the brake, then the power button, Ready is shown on the tacho.
  10. Happy Drifting
Old 04-26-21, 07:25 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

https://attachments.priuschat.com/at...ction_mode.pdf

Neutral instead of Drive.

The usual warning regarding "don't do stupid s***" - the car is very... different. No stability control of any kind, open diff (i.e. unpredictable), brakes are a bit funky when coming to a full stop, power is anything but linear and controllable, "active" steering messes with the ratios, electric power steering can "cut off" (the last thing that you want during any kind of attempt at a controlled slide)... plus 1000 other things.

Last edited by Lwerewolf; 04-26-21 at 07:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lwerewolf:
hybridguru (09-26-21), petershen (08-03-21)
Old 04-26-21, 07:28 AM
ThE0nE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Ahhhhh, that makes sense. Thanks Lwerewolf
Old 04-26-21, 01:42 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Thankfully I purchased an awd (not on purpose) keeps me away from doing burnouts and drifting, and saved me so much in rear tires lol