Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

Best way to Launch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-17, 01:03 AM
Calsenator
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best way to Launch?

Out of curiousity, what is the best way to launch from zero? Switch to S+ and turn off traction are given. Does it make sense to hold both gas and brake and rev the engine to 2k rpm? Is there any value to the paddle shifters?
Old 06-30-17, 06:34 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Firstly, I would not recommend doing this on public roads or even doing this too much since the strains it puts on your clutch, but if you're driving in Mexico, here you go..

Switch to S+
Turn off traction control
Make sure battery is at least 6 bars (the higher the better).

Switch car to manual mode (to utilize paddle shifters) - the car shifts slightly faster in manual mode.

Depending on your tires & the condition of them, hold the brake pedal and rev until you can hold the rpms at 2K+ (I would say 2.5K maximum). While you're holding the brake pedal and revving, you are charging the battery level, so this is a good time to get the battery level up a little higher (if needed).

Once you are holding a constant rpm, let go of the brake pedal completely and the car should spring forward. Shift through gears just before redline and make sure the rpm don't drop too far below 4K, because maximum power is delivered above 4K rpm.

Oh.. make sure you're holding onto your steering wheel.. there is no autopilot while doing this

Hope this helps,

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 06-30-17, 08:32 AM
1fuzzybk
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shifting? Is this actually quicker than letting our CVT hold the RPM's at a constant 6K? I have only used the paddle shifters twice but so I don't have experience with them launching.
Does anyone have a lot of experience holding the brake and gas to keep the engine running at a light? I've done it but just a little, wasnt sure if charged the battery or took more power out of it.

My car has a real bad problem with spinning the tires. Once that happens its over. I need to figure out how to turn off the traction control.
In my experiences it seems to really launch well with half throttle for about the first 3/4 second then roll into full throttle.