GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Center Diff leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-19, 06:05 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Center Diff leak

I notice that the passenger side CV seal (of course the hard one) may be leaking. I looked at diffs on ebay and many of them seem to have stains on that side. I wonder if the vent could be clogged. R/R that seal looks like the diff has to come out. I didn't get a good look from underneath though.

I also wonder why this car has such uneven CV axles. The steering on this car always seemed a bit weird.

Meant front differential!

Last edited by gs350fan; 04-07-19 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Clarify
Old 04-06-19, 06:19 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Is it leaking or sweating? If its something minor I would just leave.

Last edited by ibidu1; 04-07-19 at 12:46 AM. Reason: .
Old 04-06-19, 09:33 PM
potatomon
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Center diff only has 1 output so what diff is in the discussion??

Last edited by potatomon; 04-06-19 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-07-19, 12:21 AM
tghw
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by potatomon
Center diff only has 1 output so what diff is in the discussion??
That is the transfer case, not the differential. He's talking about the front differential, hence the reference to uneven CV axles.
Old 04-07-19, 06:12 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tghw
That is the transfer case, not the differential. He's talking about the front differential, hence the reference to uneven CV axles.
Sorry, meant FRONT DIFF. It is kinda in the center haha.. They seem to all have sweating on one side. I have to look again on mine but not a major leak.
That diff is installed upside down. The leak I believe is on the pass side like mine. The side with the very long axle.

Old 04-07-19, 06:48 AM
potatomon
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

It's too much work just to so the seals. The subframe has to come out. It's not too bad though
Old 04-07-19, 08:32 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by potatomon
It's too much work just to so the seals. The subframe has to come out. It's not too bad though
I can check it at each oil change and top off. Not looking for perfection at this point.
Old 04-08-19, 08:10 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

If its leaking where the CV join goes in, isn't it as simple as an axle seal? All my mechanic did was pop the cv axle out, pop the seal out, then reassemble. Only charged me like an hour of labor per side (both driver side and passenger sides were leaking).
Old 04-08-19, 08:47 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RXGS
If its leaking where the CV join goes in, isn't it as simple as an axle seal? All my mechanic did was pop the cv axle out, pop the seal out, then reassemble. Only charged me like an hour of labor per side (both driver side and passenger sides were leaking).
Looks like there is no way to get a seal in on the passenger side without removing the diff.
Old 04-08-19, 05:27 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I saw that you're in Albany (or general area) I suggest bringing it to Larry's Foreign Auto Service for a second opinion. Thats where I bring all my cars and nearly everyone in my apartment building has since started going there (most of us are from out of town and here for school and didn't have a mechanic in the area). They don't have the lowest labor rate, but with their experience, they typically end up being the cheaper alternative in the end.
The following users liked this post:
gs350fan (04-08-19)
Old 04-08-19, 05:30 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RXGS
I saw that you're in Albany (or general area) I suggest bringing it to Larry's Foreign Auto Service for a second opinion. Thats where I bring all my cars and nearly everyone in my apartment building has since started going there (most of us are from out of town and here for school and didn't have a mechanic in the area). They don't have the lowest labor rate, but with their experience, they typically end up being the cheaper alternative in the end.
Thanks. Yeah, in the area for sure.
I usually DIY or have Mavis do it while I watch. :lol:. I know some guys there.
Old 07-03-20, 03:49 PM
LexusLgend
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gs350fan
Sorry, meant FRONT DIFF. It is kinda in the center haha.. They seem to all have sweating on one side. I have to look again on mine but not a major leak.
That diff is installed upside down. The leak I believe is on the pass side like mine. The side with the very long axle.

I wonder if it's a front differential design issue with our generation 2IS/3GS models (I have a high mileage 2IS AWD; the rear diff is fine knock on wood)....but a similar issue to your GS with leaking diff fluid from the passenger side front cv axle area. The breather vent is located above the drivers side cv axle, so I don't think the fluid would leak from above over the passenger side cv axle seal area. Have you gotten your front differential replaced?
Old 07-03-20, 08:00 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexusLgend
I wonder if it's a front differential design issue with our generation 2IS/3GS models (I have a high mileage 2IS AWD; the rear diff is fine knock on wood)....but a similar issue to your GS with leaking diff fluid from the passenger side front cv axle area. The breather vent is located above the drivers side cv axle, so I don't think the fluid would leak from above over the passenger side cv axle seal area. Have you gotten your front differential replaced?
I cleaned it up very well, also cleaned/blew out the vent. Changed fluid. I'm monitoring it closely and don't see any dripping. Maybe it was a clogged vent? That could certainly cause a bit of fluid to push out of a seal. I've never seen drips on the floor, so it was a very small leak. Fluid was at a good level before I drained it. (spec is 5mm from the bolt)

Every thing else thank goodness is leak free. I changed all the fluids.
Old 07-03-20, 08:19 PM
LexusLgend
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gs350fan
I cleaned it up very well, also cleaned/blew out the vent. Changed fluid. I'm monitoring it closely and don't see any dripping. Maybe it was a clogged vent? That could certainly cause a bit of fluid to push out of a seal. I've never seen drips on the floor, so it was a very small leak. Fluid was at a good level before I drained it. (spec is 5mm from the bolt)

Every thing else thank goodness is leak free. I changed all the fluids.
Thanks for the response gs350fan. I'll try that first; it's an easy fix that'll possibly save $$$. How were you able to access the breather vent on top of the front differential? I assumed you didn't take your front differential off. So far, I'm thinking I'd have to use a socket wrench with a crows foot to loosen it, but maybe there is an easier method...

Last edited by LexusLgend; 07-03-20 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-04-20, 10:18 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexusLgend
Thanks for the response gs350fan. I'll try that first; it's an easy fix that'll possibly save $$$. How were you able to access the breather vent on top of the front differential? I assumed you didn't take your front differential off. So far, I'm thinking I'd have to use a socket wrench with a crows foot to loosen it, but maybe there is an easier method...
Differential did not come off. I managed to get some cleaner and compressed air around the vent. Would be tricky to get off. I think this vent is on some other Toyota truck front diffs.

Quick Reply: Center Diff leak