GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Rear Struts

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-19, 05:57 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Rear Struts

I have a leaker in the back. So the KYBs look nice. Do they come with the bump stops?
They seem to be sold separately.
May be a good idea to change the rubber spring seats too.

Looks like there are real cheapies you can buy on ebay (like $30 ea) but avoiding those.
Old 02-10-19, 12:47 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Yup stick to kyb its what the factory oem uses, I would only replace the rubber and the bump stops only if they are worn. I replaced my rears with kyb I forgot if they came with the bump stops or not, its been several years.
Old 02-10-19, 02:00 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

how hard to replace
Old 02-10-19, 02:22 PM
potatomon
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

you just undo these guys and the 3 nuts in the trunk. lower the arm and take out the assembly. Don't remove bolt A. Just loosen the nut. There's also 2 bolts hidden behind the fabric. For bolt D you need to jack up the control arm to line up the holes. Then tap the bolt out

Compressing the spring to install the mount is a mission, don't shoot yourself in the head with it. The springs are very long and very beefy.

This pic shows how the lower portion of the rear springs should sit in the shock absorber. 99% of mechanics wouldn't even know about this but if they put it in the manual, I'm sure it matters.

The rubbers should still be good, and the upper bushings are like new I ended up not installing them

Last edited by potatomon; 02-10-19 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 10:25 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by potatomon
you just undo these guys and the 3 nuts in the trunk. lower the arm and take out the assembly. Don't remove bolt A. Just loosen the nut. There's also 2 bolts hidden behind the fabric. For bolt D you need to jack up the control arm to line up the holes. Then tap the bolt out

Compressing the spring to install the mount is a mission, don't shoot yourself in the head with it. The springs are very long and very beefy.

This pic shows how the lower portion of the rear springs should sit in the shock absorber. 99% of mechanics wouldn't even know about this but if they put it in the manual, I'm sure it matters.

The rubbers should still be good, and the upper bushings are like new I ended up not installing them
Thanks for the pics. I matchmark everything before taking apart. Struts can be tricky to put back. A bit of nail polish on everything.

I have someone who can compress them for me for a few bucks. The suicide sticks scare me. Especially for a heavy car.
I have a place that wants to install them for $189 a side (KYB part). Almost tempted.

So I guess the extra rubber bushing kit isn't needed.
Old 02-11-19, 10:07 AM
potatomon
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

3 nuts in trunk - 74nm
nut on shock absorber shaft - 18nm
2 bolts behind the fabric - 21nm
bolt/nut a - 161nm
bolt/nut b - 110nm
bolt-nut c - 27nm
bolt/nut d - 140nm

this brace gets removed too. 2 fasteners to 50nm.

I have this type of spring compressor, felt very safe. I secured one of the compressors in a vice after grabbing the spring. if you can get help with that, I'd pay for that. Everything else is easy and a good bonding time.
Old 02-11-19, 10:19 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by potatomon
3 nuts in trunk - 74nm
nut on shock absorber shaft - 18nm
2 bolts behind the fabric - 21nm
bolt/nut a - 161nm
bolt/nut b - 110nm
bolt-nut c - 27nm
bolt/nut d - 140nm

this brace gets removed too. 2 fasteners to 50nm.

I have this type of spring compressor, felt very safe. I secured one of the compressors in a vice after grabbing the spring. if you can get help with that, I'd pay for that. Everything else is easy and a good bonding time.
Thanks for the torque specs, have to convert to ft/lbs!

Yeah, that unit is very good if you are going to do this. The $10 Harbor Freight ones are not for this - maybe a Civic or compact car.
Old 02-11-19, 06:50 PM
450hmatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just tried replacing the rear struts on my 2008 GS450h with KYB's bought from Napa. The tech at Toyota said that he couldn't make them work after several hours of labor! I was annoyed because you'd think they'd check before trying to fit them. I think the Sport mode connections might have him confused.

Anyway, now I'm looking at OEM parts on LexusPartsNow ( part number 48530-80454) for $281.50 each. But I'm thinking maybe I should look for a shop that just does suspension and wheels rather than at the Toyota dealer. The rear struts are completely shot so need to get this done.

I don't see the parts on sale at Rock Auto.

1) Is it better to get those OEM parts or should I try the KYB's again? Anyone know the exact part number for KYB's so I make sure I'm getting the right ones?

2) I'm on 135,000 miles so wondering if I should replace any other suspension components while I'm getting this done. Any advice is welcome.

3) Does constant driving in sport mode put significantly more wear on the suspension?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-11-19, 07:37 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by 450hmatt
I just tried replacing the rear struts on my 2008 GS450h with KYB's bought from Napa. The tech at Toyota said that he couldn't make them work after several hours of labor! I was annoyed because you'd think they'd check before trying to fit them. I think the Sport mode connections might have him confused.

Anyway, now I'm looking at OEM parts on LexusPartsNow ( part number 48530-80454) for $281.50 each. But I'm thinking maybe I should look for a shop that just does suspension and wheels rather than at the Toyota dealer. The rear struts are completely shot so need to get this done.

I don't see the parts on sale at Rock Auto.

1) Is it better to get those OEM parts or should I try the KYB's again? Anyone know the exact part number for KYB's so I make sure I'm getting the right ones?

2) I'm on 135,000 miles so wondering if I should replace any other suspension components while I'm getting this done. Any advice is welcome.

3) Does constant driving in sport mode put significantly more wear on the suspension?

Thanks in advance for any help.
If not mistaken many of the hybrids run AVS option struts, kyb (aftermarket) does not have AVS on their replacements. You can run a regular kyb and just dont run the AVS system by leaving it unplugged. Many have gone this route with success. As for the toyota tech, are you sure you gave him the correct shocks from napa? Do you have the part number of the kyb that you used?

Old 02-12-19, 06:44 AM
450hmatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
If not mistaken many of the hybrids run AVS option struts, kyb (aftermarket) does not have AVS on their replacements. You can run a regular kyb and just dont run the AVS system by leaving it unplugged. Many have gone this route with success. As for the toyota tech, are you sure you gave him the correct shocks from napa? Do you have the part number of the kyb that you used?
It looks like KYB 551105

I don't mean to crap on the Toyota tech. I just assumed that they would know if a part would work before attempting to fit it.

What does running without the AVS system mean in practical terms? Bumpier or not noticeable really?
Old 02-12-19, 07:12 AM
tghw
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 450hmatt
It looks like KYB 551105

What does running without the AVS system mean in practical terms? Bumpier or not noticeable really?
The same as leaving the switch in the "normal" position. You won't notice any difference.