GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

DIY - Trouble with door jamb sensor solved.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-10, 08:41 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default DIY - Trouble with door jamb sensor solved.

I've been having issues with the driver's side door jamb sensor, which detects whether or not the door is open, not operating correctly for a while. In my case, when the door was opened, it would intermittently not detect the door is open. The LEDs on the door itself as well as various other things like the courtesy lights would either sometimes not activate or flicker on and off randomly.

Sorry, no pics as usual but it's a simple operation.

What I did to solve the problem was remove the sensor (switch) from the door jamb. It is a single bolt. I thought at first that it was a matter of the switch itself getting sticky and needing lubrication so I removed the rubber boot from it and wiped it down well with silicone lubricant.

At this point after plugging it back in, I noticed that it would not operate at all when attached to the harness but not attached the vehicle. I realized then that the screw holding it to the chassis must actually be providing the ground. When I started screwing it back in, while the screw was loose, it was flickering on and off as before but when I held it in certain positions the flickering stopped.

Now, the bolt holding it was far from loose to begin with but there must have been a layer of corrosion or something that I loosened up just by removing it and re-tightening it because after I got it good and hand tight my problems were gone and the ground was properly restored.

Some of you claim to have issues with your lights not automatically turning off, the default state of the circuit seems to be open (door closed, which is smart of Toyota this should effectively cover the switch going bad) so I'm not sure if this will help you at all. My problem was the car not thinking the door was open, not with not detecting that the door was closed. In your cases, it may not be the ground that's the problem and it may very well be the physical switch is not travelling to the closed position and simply doing the lubrication may help.
The following users liked this post:
LUX2006 (06-21-17)
Old 10-26-10, 08:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

great info jay, added to FAQ thread under DIY
Old 10-26-10, 09:12 AM
Drift King
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome info! This is why I love CL!
Old 10-26-10, 11:23 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info Jay. Glad you figured it out.
Old 02-14-14, 11:29 PM
pcp123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just adding to the knowledge base. In addition to my automatic lights not turning off upon exiting the car, I also had a delayed response in the garage door opener sometimes taking up to 10 seconds to respond. In my case though, I had to replace the door jamb sensor. Part number is 8423150190 for the GS460 and 8423153010 for the GS350 but they are interchangeable with the latter being a few dollars cheaper.
Old 02-19-14, 10:22 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

thx for the info pcp123
Old 09-28-16, 06:06 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just did this and it worked perfectly! Mine would flicker as well
Old 09-28-16, 07:43 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Awesome! I have this problem too every now and then, twice my battery died because my lights were on during the day when I left my car for hours. I think it's really dumb that the lights don't automatically turn themselves off after a few mins, when the car is off. My 2nd gen GS headlights would turn off after a couple mins being off or from hitting the lock button on the fob twice. Don't see why they'd not have that.
Old 06-21-17, 08:49 PM
LUX2006
Driver School Candidate

Default same prob

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I've been having issues with the driver's side door jamb sensor, which detects whether or not the door is open, not operating correctly for a while. In my case, when the door was opened, it would intermittently not detect the door is open. The LEDs on the door itself as well as various other things like the courtesy lights would either sometimes not activate or flicker on and off randomly.

Sorry, no pics as usual but it's a simple operation.

What I did to solve the problem was remove the sensor (switch) from the door jamb. It is a single bolt. I thought at first that it was a matter of the switch itself getting sticky and needing lubrication so I removed the rubber boot from it and wiped it down well with silicone lubricant.

At this point after plugging it back in, I noticed that it would not operate at all when attached to the harness but not attached the vehicle. I realized then that the screw holding it to the chassis must actually be providing the ground. When I started screwing it back in, while the screw was loose, it was flickering on and off as before but when I held it in certain positions the flickering stopped.

Now, the bolt holding it was far from loose to begin with but there must have been a layer of corrosion or something that I loosened up just by removing it and re-tightening it because after I got it good and hand tight my problems were gone and the ground was properly restored.

Some of you claim to have issues with your lights not automatically turning off, the default state of the circuit seems to be open (door closed, which is smart of Toyota this should effectively cover the switch going bad) so I'm not sure if this will help you at all. My problem was the car not thinking the door was open, not with not detecting that the door was closed. In your cases, it may not be the ground that's the problem and it may very well be the physical switch is not travelling to the closed position and simply doing the lubrication may help.
I had this very same problem. while waiting for a exam I had time to remove to switch to examine it. Also choose whether or not to purchase a new switch for $15.xx from Lexus parts now. after figuring out the ground thing you did and reinstalled it. The switch has not had a problem since. Maybe it was put on too tight from a previous repair, or like you mentioned corrosion or rush. Headlights still remain on I just flick the switch to manual and back to auto to shut off. Had dealer check told me they couldn't duplicate the prob. Anyway the courtesy light doesn't or hasn't flickered since I removed. now the right rear door is doing the same thing. gotta check that one out as well. Could just be a system ground somewhere that is loose. anyway thanks for the write up.
Old 08-05-17, 09:39 AM
Novakrj
Driver School Candidate

I have a faulty door jam switch also. Mine is not a bolt but appears to require a "star-shaped" tool to remove? Is this so I have to take it in to get it fixed? I'd appreciate any help.

2009 LS 460 AWD

Thanks.
Old 08-05-17, 01:26 PM
LUX2006
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Novakrj
I have a faulty door jam switch also. Mine is not a bolt but appears to require a "star-shaped" tool to remove? Is this so I have to take it in to get it fixed? I'd appreciate any help.

2009 LS 460 AWD

Thanks.
That would be a T30 torx bit/driver, unless of course Lexus changed bolt specs between years. I still might have to replace mine, as I'm learning the more I fully examine my car the more I learn of other parts that need to be replaced......like my moon roof weatherstripping. You can purchase a set of torx bits(or torx drivers) and bit handle at sears, Home Depot, lowes, or any tool/hardware store. Or order online from amazon. I got a good set from Wihl very good quality bits
Old 08-05-17, 04:05 PM
Novakrj
Driver School Candidate

LUX2006,

Found the item you mentioned at an auto parts store and fixed my door jam sensor.

Thank you
The following users liked this post:
LUX2006 (08-07-17)
Old 08-07-17, 05:52 PM
LUX2006
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Novakrj
LUX2006,

Found the item you mentioned at an auto parts store and fixed my door jam sensor.

Thank you
Glad I was able to help someone for once.
Old 06-13-18, 07:40 PM
dakrause
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 1999 RX300 with an inoperative open driver door sensor. Where/how do I find the bolt that has likely become oxidized?

DIY - Trouble with door jamb sensor solved.-qkubbh3.jpg
Old 06-13-18, 09:06 PM
LUX2006
Driver School Candidate

Hi, if your having the same issue as I was. It’s not those bolts. Look for a small black rubber switch that faces out and is inside the door jam. That’s the sensor. There is only one bolt. Most likely the switch is bad. However you can try removing it. Then cleaning the metal. However given the year of your lex most likely the switch has lived its life. Don’t have a pic right now at work. If you don’t find or someone else responds. I’ll send a pic of what it looks like.

Quick Reply: DIY - Trouble with door jamb sensor solved.