GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 01-06-15, 05:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Need Replacement Front Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 06:15 PM
dwiall
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Replacement Front Windshield

The wife took a rock in the windshield and it now has a crack about 2 feet long so I am looking for a new windshield. Lexus wants $2148 for a new Lexus glass installed. That ain't gonna happen because the insurance will only pay $500 (diiferent story). Anyway, my Lexus dealer hooked me up with the guy they have do there replacements and said he could put PPG glass in for $600 including all new molding and clips. Do any of you have experience with PPG glass and is there anything I should be sure they don't miss or not to use which of the old parts.

Also, I do have some dash noise when it gets cold, can I do anything with that while they have the windshield off?

Thanks
Dave
Old 10-13-10, 06:42 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Why not turn it in as a claim? $500 deductible isn't that bad for OEM glass. Assuming your deductible is $500...
Old 10-13-10, 06:53 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Windshield

I am not sure what year your car is, but the windshield in the 2010 is "accoustic glass", to help keep out the outside noise. If that is the case, I would go back to my insurance company. Seems like all they want to pay for is plain, cheap glass. If they won't go for it, I would be shopping other insurance companies. I check out my insurance thoroughly. The cheaper policies are fine, until you have a claim, and then you find out why they are cheap. If they have a $500 glass clause in their policy you may be stuck with it. If not insist they cover what you lost, or else they lose a customer.
Old 10-13-10, 07:51 PM
dwiall
Driver

The car is a 2007 GS350 AWD with rain sensor and no Heads Up (everyone insist that if I have rainsensor I have Heads Up, not even an option). Insurance company is American Family. I forgot about the acoustic glass part. My agent told me $500 was the most they would pay because that is the going rate for OEE (original equipment equivalant). My wife called another agent from the same company and they gave her a different story. Said I can have whoever do it with whatever glass. I am going to get the scoop tomorrow. My deductable is $1000. I go with the higher deductible because I have not had a claim in 16 years and the differance has paid for itself many times over.

Does the 2007 have the acoustic glass and what is the differance? If it does, they will be paying for the Lexus glass.
Old 10-13-10, 08:14 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that's bullshiz. which insurance company is this?
Old 10-13-10, 11:47 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Why don't you take a look at this discussion:

here

BTW, PPG is an excellent choice. Many auto manufacturers use PPG as an OEM glass.

Last edited by arnieosp; 10-16-10 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-14-10, 04:21 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

i wouldnt pay $2100+ for ****ty oem glass. The oem lexus windshields pit so easily that you'll just be throwing money away. A member mentioned they got their windshield replaced by safelite and they even transfered over the rain sensor (didnt know that was possible) to the new ppg glass. it was about 1/3 of the cost for an oem glass.
Old 10-14-10, 05:43 AM
johnnunez2
Pole Position

you need real insurance. alstate maybe! statefarm. idk. ive never heard of that company you have. and have never had a broken window(yet). so i cant chime in about that.
Old 10-14-10, 06:53 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

also, not sure where you live, but in KY, as long as you have full coverage, it's no fault and insurance is supposed to replace the windshield with no cost to the owner and not be reported on your insurance history. whether that applies to any glass and any install crew is a story I don't want to have to investigate. good luck!

I've heard stories about the glass that Toyota uses in the Camry plant up the road. If they're not willing to accept mediocre glass for a Camry, I find it hard to believe that Lexus would install "cheap" glass in their vehicles. Is it worth $2100?...that's up to you to decide. You bought a Lexus, not a Kia.
Old 10-14-10, 07:25 AM
dwiall
Driver

Does anyone know if the 07 GS350 has acoustic glass and does it work? Just got a call from the installer. This installer does my local Lexus dealers installs and they were talking about my car on tuesday after I called Lexus. The price just jumped from $335 to $654. When they were talking they said the key to a good install was to replace all the molding and clips (52 clips in there). I take it they do not use glue and the windshield floats, I don't know. Again, anything I can do while they have the glass off to help with the dash noises?

Got to thinking, If they do use accoustic glass, it is a waste. There is no insulation beneath the glass for about 6 inches and the inside of the car. I found my biggest noise maker was coming from the engine bay. You could just touch the piece of plastic cowling that rest on the windshield and the noise inside the car was twice as loud, never would have thought all that noise was coming from the engine bay.

Anyway, thanks for the comments
Old 10-14-10, 07:52 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the 07 has acoustic glass but i'm really not certain. I live in PA....the land of the flying gravel and i'm on my 3rd windshield in my 08 GS. The second windshield that was installed was an aftermarket installed by a contractor at the Lexus shop. It was not as quiet as the OEM but I don't think it's acoustic and for some reason the rain sensing wipers didn't work correctly after the install. Maybe the installer messed up but who really knows.

After that windshield caught a stone and needed replacement, I went to Lexus and it was done for about $1,500 last year. I have Allstate insurance and they were willing to go with OEM glass since the car was still fairly new. Apparently they have an unwritten policy that if the car is less than 2 years old, they're willing to go OEM. Now, with the Lexus glass it's somewhat quieter and the rain sensing wipers are back to normal.
Old 10-14-10, 08:01 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
also, not sure where you live, but in KY, as long as you have full coverage, it's no fault and insurance is supposed to replace the windshield with no cost to the owner and not be reported on your insurance history. whether that applies to any glass and any install crew is a story I don't want to have to investigate. good luck!

I've heard stories about the glass that Toyota uses in the Camry plant up the road. If they're not willing to accept mediocre glass for a Camry, I find it hard to believe that Lexus would install "cheap" glass in their vehicles. Is it worth $2100?...that's up to you to decide. You bought a Lexus, not a Kia.
what is that suppose to mean? you think lexus doesnt use cheap parts? half the things in and on the car are cheap they just think because the L symbol is attached to the car its worth more. Theres plenty of threads of how terrible the oem windshield is.
Old 10-14-10, 11:07 AM
bryanc182
Driver

Originally Posted by dwiall
Also, I do have some dash noise when it gets cold, can I do anything with that while they have the windshield off?

Thanks
Dave

Can anyone please elaborate on this part. I'm having my windshield replace (by safelite)as well and have the clicking in the dash too. If there is anything that can be done while having the glass installed please let me know.
Old 10-14-10, 12:38 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bryanc182
Can anyone please elaborate on this part. I'm having my windshield replace (by safelite)as well and have the clicking in the dash too. If there is anything that can be done while having the glass installed please let me know.

there's a clip cutting procedure service bulletin which might help.
Old 10-14-10, 04:55 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
what is that suppose to mean? you think lexus doesnt use cheap parts? half the things in and on the car are cheap they just think because the L symbol is attached to the car its worth more. Theres plenty of threads of how terrible the oem windshield is.
I absolutely believe that. Pretty much for the reason I just said. People I know who work at the Toyota plant in Georgetown, KY have told me how "picky" Toyota is when/where they get their glass from. You go ahead and believe that the glass that Lexus uses is terrible. If you're so fed up with Lexus and think they're ****...why don't you sell the POS.

Quick Reply: Need Replacement Front Windshield