GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

All Windows Opened By Themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-10, 07:29 PM
StealthAWD
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Windows Opened By Themselves?

Parked my car at work today and around 4:00 a few people stopped by my office to let me know that all of my windows were down in my car. I was like ..that wierd. So I went outside and lo and behold all of the windows were down and the sunroof was open. That is odd I though. So I closed them all and no further problems.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Did I perhaps sit on my FOB and press the buttons a certain way that made all of the window go down?? My office is 2 doors down from the outside of the building where my car is parked, so the signal from the FOB would have to have traveled pretty far?

Other than that, my car has 73K miles and has been flawless!!
Old 01-04-10, 08:34 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there is something you can do with the fob to open all the windows and the sunroof, but I don't remember what it is. I use a smartcard instead if a fob.

So is your car really stealth like mine?
Old 01-04-10, 10:13 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Yeah, if you hold down the unlock button for a couple of seconds it will do this. Maybe it got pressed in your pocket?
Old 01-04-10, 10:18 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanz
Yeah, if you hold down the unlock button for a couple of seconds it will do this. Maybe it got pressed in your pocket?
Thats what i was thinking.. I have that feature on my 2 GS... pretty cool..
Old 01-04-10, 10:26 PM
timtem
Pole Position

yea if you hold the unlock button down for a few seconds on the key fob, all the windows will roll down and the sunroof will open
Old 01-05-10, 07:29 AM
StealthAWD
Driver

Thanks all for the feedback - I will keep my FOB on my desk to make sure it doesn't happen again!!
Old 01-05-10, 08:10 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthAWD
Thanks all for the feedback - I will keep my FOB on my desk to make sure it doesn't happen again!!
Or you can have the dealer disable that function, but it does come in handy when you want to vent a hot car in summer b 4 you get in.
Old 01-01-11, 08:16 PM
Oscar93927
Driver School Candidate

Ok I know you guys pretty much came to a agreement that he pressed on Key FOB but on my situation my 01 GS my driver door lock does not work with the keyfob and always needs to be manually closed from the inside because i cant use the key to manually lock it from the out side either so yeah thats one of my problems and know back to this thread topic-- on several occasion when I close my driver door when parking it and all my doors and sunroof will roll down all the way and this happens all the time.. So do you guys thinks the reason to this because of my mest up door lock from the drivers door??

What ever help you guys could help me you really appreciate it I would hate to take it to the dealer and pay that huge bill..
Old 01-01-11, 09:13 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Oscar93927
Ok I know you guys pretty much came to a agreement that he pressed on Key FOB but on my situation my 01 GS my driver door lock does not work with the keyfob and always needs to be manually closed from the inside because i cant use the key to manually lock it from the out side either so yeah thats one of my problems and know back to this thread topic-- on several occasion when I close my driver door when parking it and all my doors and sunroof will roll down all the way and this happens all the time.. So do you guys thinks the reason to this because of my mest up door lock from the drivers door??

What ever help you guys could help me you really appreciate it I would hate to take it to the dealer and pay that huge bill..
Your in the 3rd generation forum you may want to repost in the 2nd generation forum where people that have your car can better assist you, good luck!
Old 11-13-12, 05:14 AM
wrflexus
Driver School Candidate

and just for the record - I am a 2 year owner of a lexus is250. This morning all the windows/sunroof were open (of course in the rain). This happened once before but I assumed that this was just "one of those things" with all the electronics in the car. Now a second "event".

I'll get the option for the fob disabled, but the car has been sitting quietly all weekend and not used. Rather strange.
Old 11-13-12, 06:38 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It happened to me once, key fob in my pocket and I guess I was sitting or leaning on it funny for a long enough period of time. It was rather disconcerting to go out to the car and see everything was open.
Old 11-13-12, 07:07 AM
circuit022
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to hold lock as well and the Windows and sunroof should close on they're own
The following users liked this post:
ChuckMaste (01-03-24)
Old 11-13-12, 07:52 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

In the late 2006, I was told cars no longer had that feature where if u hold the "lock" button, windows will close itself. So far I've deemed that true on the few cars I have tried from 2006+ . That including my 3GS.

The reason why this was disabled (I didn't do research, just listened to my service rep really), was because some lady sued the car manufacturer because she was holding the "lock" button, to close up the windows and it caught her son's neck into the window.
Old 11-17-12, 02:37 AM
pbateson
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Last week in Seattle after church service, I went outside on heavy rain. My car had all windows sightly down and tilt sunroof open. I said, "Woah! What the..?" I never seen before my car turned windows and sunroof open in heavy rain. I clean inside the wet.
Old 11-17-12, 04:26 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can also dis the moonroof to open. only open the other 4 windows.
The following users liked this post:
ChuckMaste (01-03-24)

Quick Reply: All Windows Opened By Themselves?