GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Need Help: Major Brake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-09, 11:09 AM
LT 562
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help: Major Brake Issues

Did my brakes myself as I've done tons of times with past cars.

Changed the front rotors and pads but didn't have time to bleed the brakes. It drove fine but a little squishy. Got around to doing the rear rotors and pads this morning (a day later) and bled the system. Now every light (vsc, brake, abs, etc) is on and I have little to no brake pressure. Fluid is all there.

Any ideas?
Old 10-18-09, 11:54 AM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You did not need to bleed brakes just changing pads and rotors. You may have let air in the system by doing so. There is a method to this as you have to utilize the key to make the brake motor run to bleed the thing.
Old 10-18-09, 01:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

you have 06 gs430 with ebc system, you can't just bleed the brakes like that coz' the computer will go wild. you likely have to go to dealership to reset the system (make sure there is no leak or anything)
Old 10-18-09, 01:36 PM
LT 562
Driver School Candidate

Well one thing I didn't mention was it was my first experience pushing caliper pistons back in where the caliper had opposing pistons. so when I was clamping down one side, one of the pistons fell out so I figured I had to bleed the system since air must have gotten in then.

So what's the trick with the key? I called a tech friend and he said you need a scan tool to activate the brake booster motor but didn't mention anything about being able to use the key in lieu of having a scanner.

once the brake motor is activated, does that mean I don't have to have any pumping and holding the brake pedal?

It did strike me odd that when I was bleeding out the brakes the fluid just kept coming and I did hear what sounded like a motor kicking on. But I don't recall having pushed the start button at all.

Thanks for the feedback. If anyone knows what the trick is, I'd greatly appreciate the insight.
Old 10-18-09, 04:58 PM
LT 562
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
you have 06 gs430 with ebc system, you can't just bleed the brakes like that coz' the computer will go wild. you likely have to go to dealership to reset the system (make sure there is no leak or anything)
Perfect. Disconnecting the battery for a while would be too easy I suppose(?).

And thanks for the insight.
Old 10-18-09, 08:49 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

here is a similar thread...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ght=brakes+ebc
Old 10-19-09, 01:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

the piston fell out @_@ oops...

once the lights are on (computer error codes triggered), i don't think resetting the ecu will help. you can try it though. but if that doesn't work i guess dealership is your only option...
Old 10-19-09, 08:37 AM
LT 562
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all for the feedback.

I read that thread you linked but it sounded like warning lights was his major issue, for me my brakes don't bite. The car hardly stays still once I put it in Drive while holding down the pedal. And when I stomp on the pedal while moving it'll slow-slowly and eventually lock up one of the front tires. I know I bled the system through though.

What a mess. My local mechanic has all the scan tools and said he'd be able to reset the computer and re-flush if necessary. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 10-19-09, 10:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

wow, that doesn't sound good... seems like the whole system is not functioning and not applying pressure for you when you bleed the system.

just curious, was your car running when you bleed the system? i wonder if that helps make a difference. not to take out the lights, but at least to get the brakes on
Old 10-19-09, 03:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am always fascinated at how people pay so much a car then try to service it themselves. I wish you the best but this is probably going to cost you some time and a bit more money. Good luck
Old 10-19-09, 04:12 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am always fascinated at how people pay so much a car then try to service it themselves. I wish you the best but this is probably going to cost you some time and a bit more money. Good luck
+1, Good Luck
Old 10-20-09, 02:28 PM
LT 562
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
wow, that doesn't sound good... seems like the whole system is not functioning and not applying pressure for you when you bleed the system.

just curious, was your car running when you bleed the system? i wonder if that helps make a difference. not to take out the lights, but at least to get the brakes on
Car was not running. I limped the car over to my mechanic and he cleared the codes for me free of charge and it was back to normal. I asked him to bleed the system for me again to be safe, so he did and said there was no air in it. Live and learn.
Old 10-20-09, 02:37 PM
LT 562
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I completely understand where you're coming from. But honestly it's not because I'm trying to save a buck or two. Maintenance on the car are one of the few lifelong hobbies I still have the opportunity to enjoy these days. Where do you draw the line? Take it in for an air filter? Nav update? spark plugs? Some things are just enjoyable to do and as far as complexity, I never really hesitated (until now) about brakes.

Unfortunately newer cars with all the electronic nannies are becoming harder for hobbyist to work on. Guess I'll only do brakes on my geriatric '85 Corolla going forward.

Again, live and learn. But I appreciate everyones' constructive and encouraging responses.

Last edited by LT 562; 10-20-09 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-20-09, 03:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by LT 562
Car was not running. I limped the car over to my mechanic and he cleared the codes for me free of charge and it was back to normal. I asked him to bleed the system for me again to be safe, so he did and said there was no air in it. Live and learn.
glad that everything is fixed! hope the car functions normally now and no more codes. safe driving
Old 10-20-09, 03:29 PM
LT 562
Driver School Candidate

Car drives great and is whisper quiet and smooth again. Just gotta adjust to the Akebono ceramic pads versus the very grabby Lexus carbon metallic ones.

Quick Reply: Need Help: Major Brake Issues