GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Direct Injection Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-08, 12:04 AM
wickedfn4u
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direct Injection Noise

I did a search and did not find a whole lot of topics on this so maybe it is just bugging me. We bought a 07 last Dec and I started telling my wife this car seemed loud. Now it has 5k miles on it and it is even worse. We took it in and they said it was normal. It is louder in the cabin than my friends E320 dsl. I tell you if this is the best that Lexus can do, I will never ever own another.
Old 02-28-08, 12:58 AM
jbrinkley
Driver School Candidate

This is so obnoxious for me that I'm thinking about selling it, I only have 2700 miles and now maybe it gets worse down the road? No way.
I do notice that somewhere around 80 degrees and with the car warm it's almost bearable. I went through a drive through last night, about 50 degrees out, ticking echoes off the brick wall, sheesh.
Old 02-28-08, 01:01 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Direct injection is loud as the fuel is moving through the injectors at over 1000psi. This is just a characteristic of direct injection. Lexus/Toyota is not the only one with this type of noise. Many manufacturers are moving to this technology so the characteristic sound is not going away anytime soon. But in time, there should be improvements to suppress the noise.
Old 02-28-08, 02:18 AM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it's annoying and gets very loud bouncing off walls, especially in drive thrus. Used to think it was ticking valves...
Old 02-28-08, 06:02 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wickedfn4u
I did a search and did not find a whole lot of topics on this so maybe it is just bugging me. We bought a 07 last Dec and I started telling my wife this car seemed loud. Now it has 5k miles on it and it is even worse. We took it in and they said it was normal. It is louder in the cabin than my friends E320 dsl. I tell you if this is the best that Lexus can do, I will never ever own another.
You can do what I did when given a similar explanation for the noise my ES was making. Get a 2nd outside opinion..... only stay away from MB dealer who have direct injection vehicles <--quiet injectors....or you may do what I barely did not, leave with a "quietly injected" MB E350

Or go test drive other vehicles with direct injection, there are many of them, and then go back to dealer and have a meeting to discuss your findings and anything they can do to please you or go to another Lexus dealer svc.
Old 02-28-08, 10:09 AM
Sharifi
Driver School Candidate

How often does the noise come about? I test drove a 07 GS350 yesterday and did not hear anything...maybe it was becuase the car was pretty cold. But if you guys could give me some input as to how often the noise comes about it would be helpful. Also, how many of you that hate the noise would have rather gotten a GS430?
Old 02-28-08, 10:26 AM
rkb43
Pole Position

The noise is constant, it's inherent to the design. It doesn't bother me at all, but I noticed it even during the test drive. If you didn't, chances are good that you will be ok with it. To me it's very subtle, nothing to complain about, but apparantly some people find it annoying, so maybe you want to drive the 350 again.
Old 02-28-08, 10:44 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

It's a small price to pay for 303+ hp and 27/19 mpg from a 3.5l NA V6. If you want quiet, trade for a ES/RX350, you'll get the non DI version of a 3.5l V6 with the muted hp and whisper quiet cabin...
Old 02-28-08, 11:43 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

I was driving around in my GS350 last night and as soon as I started up the car I heard it more then usual. It didn't bother me, maybe it was the cold weather in Miami (52 degrees) that made it sound louder. Keep in mind I didn't drive the car for a day and it was low low low on gas.

Trade off is great IMO. For those who this problem bugs, turn up the volume to around 10 and you will be set.
Old 02-28-08, 12:41 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by socalJD
It's a small price to pay for 303+ hp and 27/19 mpg from a 3.5l NA V6. If you want quiet, trade for a ES/RX350, you'll get the non DI version of a 3.5l V6 with the muted hp and whisper quiet cabin...
People in the RX forum are complaining about valve ticking too when the engine is cold, so are the owners in the RAV4 V6 forum. I think the ticking is from the valve design of the 3.5 V6 not the direct injectors itself. Anybody here have ticking noise from a GS460 or a LS, which has direct injection also.
Old 02-28-08, 12:52 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

hmm.....Mine is not that loud I wonder that can be wrong there...
Old 02-28-08, 12:57 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

honestly, I don't hear anything, but then again, I am the type of person who likes to hear the car's engine roar, so I love engine noise and exhaust noise and road feel. Seems like that's the exact opposite of what typical lexus owners expect from a Lexus - Complete silence.

Bottom line, if you don't hear it, great, enjoy the car, if you do hear every noise in the car, your ears are overly sensitive. Crank up the volume and enjoy
Old 02-28-08, 01:07 PM
Armand
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How timely this post is. I just took my car in for an oil change and told the svc rep about a ticking noise i hear. I also thought it was valves but nope it was the injectors.

This 3rd gen has to be the biggest let down of the 3 (and I have owned all 3), engine noises, tire noises, on a NEW CAR?!?!?. BMW here i come.
Old 02-28-08, 01:17 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Armand
How timely this post is. I just took my car in for an oil change and told the svc rep about a ticking noise i hear. I also thought it was valves but nope it was the injectors.

This 3rd gen has to be the biggest let down of the 3 (and I have owned all 3), engine noises, tire noises, on a NEW CAR?!?!?. BMW here i come.
tire noises have nothing to do with the car manufactures, bmw are starting to use runflats which everyone hates.

man, if you honestly think bmw is going to be rattle free and more quiet than Lexus, you are in for a very rude awakening when you switch.

believe me, we love bmw

Old 02-28-08, 03:19 PM
moolman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I almost left the car with the dealer when I first got the car because of the ticking. After the car was PDI'ed, I drove it from the back of the dealership to the front where my wife was waiting. She has a keen ear and asked me if I heard a loud ticking from the engine. I didn't hear it but when you start to listen for it, it's there. So we had our saleman come out and he didn't know why either so he got another car from the lot and put it side by side to mine. It also had the ticking sound, so I figured it was normal for the car.

I don't here it much, but maybe some cars are tuned differently and it's just louder because of variations.

Quick Reply: Direct Injection Noise