GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Direct Injection Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-08, 04:09 PM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, most people probably don't notice it. It's not really that obvious. It has to be fairly quiet, and you should be next to a wall or something for the acoustics of it to bounce back and have the windows down of course. So try doing that for those of you that don't think they have it.
Old 02-28-08, 04:44 PM
hammer45
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mysteryan
Yeah, it's annoying and gets very loud bouncing off walls, especially in drive thrus. Used to think it was ticking valves...
I was wondering the same thing as the OP with the noise, and I would definately characterize the sound as "ticking valves". As others have said, it's not the best of noises, but a small trade-off for the increase in performance.
Old 02-28-08, 08:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrinkley
This is so obnoxious for me that I'm thinking about selling it, I only have 2700 miles and now maybe it gets worse down the road? No way.
I do notice that somewhere around 80 degrees and with the car warm it's almost bearable. I went through a drive through last night, about 50 degrees out, ticking echoes off the brick wall, sheesh.
I feel the same way. Any drive through and all you hear is this loud ticking. It doesnt sound like a lexus should at idle. Great car, but I think next time I may look at infiniti or BMW ( dare I say).
Old 02-28-08, 11:47 PM
SiccMonkey
Driver

Originally Posted by hammer45
I was wondering the same thing as the OP with the noise, and I would definately characterize the sound as "ticking valves". As others have said, it's not the best of noises, but a small trade-off for the increase in performance.
yep thats how would describe the noise exactly. i even called the dealership and told them it sounded like my valves needed to be adjusted should have researched it before i called and sounded like an *** eheh. I suppose i can live with the tick for the extra 30 or so hp
Old 02-29-08, 09:05 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Any owners out there with a GS460 or a LS that makes the same ticking noise?
Old 02-29-08, 09:14 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
i do not hear anything...

*actually, here is what i am going to do, I think i am just not sensitive to these noises since I drove 5 years slammed on coilovers with aftermarket rims, so I will film my engine bay and you guys tell me if i have the noise or not :P

Last edited by whlkev; 02-29-08 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-19-08, 11:17 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

All diesel engines use direct fuel injection systems too. You generally hear a rapid *tick*, repeatedly. Nothing to worry about. It's the way those injectors operate.

DFI optimizes the fuel mixture, particularly in both light and medium load conditions, creating a precise burn, higher output, aiding drivability, lower emissions and fuel economy. The new direct fuel injection system provides a cooling effect in the cylinders, which allowing higher compression ratios. The results are substantial improvements in engine efficiency with increased power and fuel economy.

The sound is very noticeable when I roll down the windows or open the door with the motor running. In a parkng garage, it's louder. I love it because people are always turning their heads to see "who's coming". It's my version of the BOV--pshhhh sound. I have to admit, that's one feature that I truly love about my car. If it means better performance without sacrificing gas, I'm all for it. It's more complex and more expensive to build, but worth it. The injectors have to be able to withstand high heat tolerance from the combustion chamber so that's a scary thought.

Last edited by LexusIS-TL; 03-19-08 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-20-08, 08:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

It sounds like an old *** car with the most misaligned valves in the world. Direct injection generally produces up to 20 % more power and can create 20% more fuel economy. But what they never tell you is that it also creates 20 % more noise at idle.
Old 03-21-08, 01:58 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Yup its there. I asked this question too when I bought my car. wasn't aware of it becuase I SIT in the car while test driving and the car is OFF when I was outside. I doubt if that would've stopped me from buying the car. BUT everytime I'm in a drive-true I CAN hear it. It sounds like a tick but its like 3 ticks a second. Its there. I don't know if it gets quiter as the car warms up, but its there.
Old 03-21-08, 01:55 PM
weilunc5
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a '02 BMW 330. its intake rumbles, its exhaust roars, and its valves tick.
purchased '08 GS350 2 months ago, noticed the ticking sound immediately.
Compared the noise level to my bimmer's, I can only appreciate luxus' effort on the noise control.
to me it's like lexus muffled the intake/exhaust sound, so the ticking sound is now all you can hear. you guys' ears got spoiled. that's all.
The following users liked this post:
inked05 (07-30-22)
Old 03-21-08, 02:11 PM
dk0515
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
I have a GS350 and LS460 both make that noise. When I'm outside of the car with engine on I can hear it. When I'm inside with windows up, I can't hear it at all. When I'm at a red light with the windows down, I can hear it a little, but it doesn't bother me and if I have music playing, I can't even hear it with the volume around 8+.

Overall, the noise is not that bad and it's something I can live with. It's not like you will have the engine on and stand outside of your car a lot. When your inside with windows up, you can't even hear it.
inked05 (07-30-22)
Old 03-21-08, 02:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

same here, gs350 and ls460l, as long as i am inside the car windows up (i hardly drive with them down), never hear anything

but the gs350 when i floor it, man it's very loud
Old 03-21-08, 03:07 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whlkev
tire noises have nothing to do with the car manufactures, bmw are starting to use runflats which everyone hates.

man, if you honestly think bmw is going to be rattle free and more quiet than Lexus, you are in for a very rude awakening when you switch.

believe me, we love bmw

Dang dude...that is serious love for the BMW's. Where's your 460 in the pic? Must be nice to choose between cars to drive for the day.( j/p..I'm sure they are other family members rides.)

I'd definately take the direct injection noises instead of the dang rattles I'm dealing with coming from the top of my windshield.(clips?)
Old 03-21-08, 05:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

you cant hear it inside unless sound is bouncing off closed spaces or something like that...

but if you think it is louder than diesels, then you do not know diesels.

MB S class diesel sounds like F350 diesel early in the morning.
inked05 (07-30-22)
Old 03-22-08, 03:04 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

The ticking sound is there for life. I had a beautiful white GS next to mine at an intersection and we're just ticking away!!!
inked05 (07-30-22)

Quick Reply: Direct Injection Noise