GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

XM vs Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-07, 05:22 PM
edbern
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM vs Sirius

I just had the dealer install the Lexus-brand XM satellite radio on my 2007 GS350 -- using factory pre-wiring including the sharkfin antenna.

Previously, I had Sirius installed on my 2006 GS430, using the Sirius-supplied "black brick" antenna on the windshield.

I'm just writing to say - NIGHT AND DAY. It is unbelieveable how much better the XM works -- the difference in receptoin is spectacular.

I had come to accept the constant interruptions in Sirius (any tree or overhead obstruction, including entire neighborhoods in my reasonably wooded town).

Since I have heard Lexus was unhappy with Sirius reception and had actually issued a "stop sale" order on Sirius kits and discontinued it at hte factory level.

Anyway, I'm just writing to note -- for the benefit of anyone considering the choice (if still available!) or anyone who was turned off from Satellite by the Sirius experience -- that XM is terrific. Maybe it's the sharkfin, maybe it's the XM satellite / repeater coverage. But the net effect is that my opinion of satellite went from "marginal, probably not again" to "I never want to be without it again."
Old 04-30-07, 06:09 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In defense of Sirius I have to admit that windshield brick/diamond antenna was a cause of your problem before. Previously, I had my Sirius (original 1"x1" puck antenna) in different locations, and it only worked outside on top of the rear fender. Being in between NYC and Philly, I don't have access to any terrestrial repeaters and only rely on direct satellite connection. Still get cutoffs going under the bridges and occasionally reception gets choppy in areas with lots of trees. 2 days ago I had my Sirius wired directly into the sharkfin. Works perfect, no different than original Sirius antenna which was on the back on my car.

As a side note, if you are just interested in general music and news channels, XM will do a great job. But, if you need Howard, Raw Dog Comedy, and few other than you really don't have a choice!!! Of course, hopefully next year when they merge, the choice will be which one will give you a better reception in your area.
Old 04-30-07, 07:52 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

Im planning on holding out until they merge. I had XM for a while and it kind of sucked, same goes for Sirius. The two combined might be worth it.
Old 04-30-07, 09:43 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

XM reception blows away Sirius reception in CA. On the trunk, on the roof, on glass, in the house, in the office, hands down XM blows away Sirius. I used to have 5 XM radios and listened to it so much that I didn't even bother setting any FM presets in any of my cars. I bought a car with Sirius and it was all over for XM. The channel line up and programming is much better @ Sirius. Now I have 5 Sirius radios and I dumped my XM stock just before it started to tank. The only way you can have my Sirius radios is if you pry them from my cold dead fingers.

BTW, I only get signal drops in my garages and parking structures. I haven't had any problems with overpasses.
Old 05-01-07, 02:21 AM
Balnk
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the sirius antenna installed on the rear roof, where the shark fin is,
and my reception is great. No problems with it at all, plus Howard Stern is King.

By the way, I live in Baltimore.
Old 05-01-07, 04:31 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@Balnk, can you post a pic of your antenna?

I mentioned that before, but geographic location is such a key element in satellite reception. Even on West Coast, both 2thfixr and edbern have different reception experience. I'm really looking forward to this merger (and keeping my fingers crossed FCC not gonna screw it up), than all the technical resource can be shared and utilized to benefit all of us.
Old 05-01-07, 04:32 AM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my sirius experience

I have the puck antenna lodged between the center brake light and rear window, I get very good reception (with the exceptions of the typical garage structure issues and a tree or 2)...I really need to get the SLS unit as my sportster unit is hidden in my console and the cassette device is my only quality issue.
Old 05-01-07, 08:26 AM
Lexaholic
Driver School Candidate

I placed the brick/triangle upside down on my rear decklid. Great reception, only issues are parking garages and some trees on back roads. Worked out a lot better than I originally thought.