GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Cleaning the Touch Screen

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-06, 08:45 AM
Tex-Lex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning the Touch Screen

New to the forum, but have been lurking until I finally got my GS350 (black sapphire pearl/cashmere, ML/nav). There is some very good info here that helped me make my decision (thanks). Picked it up this week in Houston and so far, so good. Does anyone have a good recommendation on the best way to clean the touch screen? Fingerprints build up quickly.
Old 12-02-06, 10:05 AM
Firstlps
Driver

Originally Posted by Tex-Lex
New to the forum, but have been lurking until I finally got my GS350 (black sapphire pearl/cashmere, ML/nav). There is some very good info here that helped me make my decision (thanks). Picked it up this week in Houston and so far, so good. Does anyone have a good recommendation on the best way to clean the touch screen? Fingerprints build up quickly.
Congrats on your new car. I clean my screen with a micro- fiber cloth for
cleaning screens so no chemicals needed except water maybe. I almost
got that color combo but waiting for Matdor Red/cashmere, ML/Nav here
in Houston.
Old 12-02-06, 10:45 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats! I'm sure you will love your new GS! The touchscreen should be treated like any flat panel monitor. A slightly damp cloth is all it takes. If you really don't like fingerprints, you can get a product called Invisishield or something similar. Invisishield is by far the best because it's slightly squishy if you can invision that. It's more than a protective film so it doesn't show fingerprints at all. They don't have one on the website for the GS but they do have some for Pioneer screens which might work perfectly.
Old 12-02-06, 11:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

agree, nothingmore than slightly damped cloth. no solution, detergen, none
Old 12-02-06, 02:17 PM
Funky
Rookie

I picked up a micro-cloth from CompUSA that works great without anything else which I keep in the center console. Five dollars well spent.

Here it is...no water, just the cloth.
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=278511
Old 12-02-06, 02:52 PM
Tex-Lex
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tips. I'll try a micro cloth (or glass cloth). I replaced my G35 coupe and to anyone considering this move, go for it. Good acceleration and a much more comfortable and quiet ride. For those of you buying in Houston, I went to Sterling McCall Lexus and got a very good deal as well as excellent service.
Old 12-02-06, 05:45 PM
RandalR
Pole Position

Get the little moistened wipes that are designed for cleaning eyeglasses or computer screens - most drugstores have them. They work perfectly.
Old 12-03-06, 06:45 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JJG430
A little windex works great. It does nothing to the screen to damage it and then I rub real good with micro fiber cloth
I would avoid using Windex since it contains ammonia that can degrade the LCD screen. A microfiber cloth on its own is perfectly fine.
Old 12-03-06, 06:47 AM
MartinGS
Driver School Candidate

I use Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer, black bottle, that was transferred to a small spray bottle, wrap the spray bottle in a microfiber cloth and store it in the drivers door pocket. It works great, not only on the Nav screen, but on the insturmentation cluster.
Old 12-03-06, 07:42 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Tex-Lex, could you PM me with the price you wound up paying vs invoice or MSRP? Thanks

Thanks for the tips. I'll try a micro cloth (or glass cloth). I replaced my G35 coupe and to anyone considering this move, go for it. Good acceleration and a much more comfortable and quiet ride. For those of you buying in Houston, I went to Sterling McCall Lexus and got a very good deal as well as excellent service.
Old 12-03-06, 09:24 AM
Tex-Lex
Driver School Candidate

Lots of good input. Finally read through some of the manual (It's as thick as War & Peace). According to the manual, Lexus says "Wipe off fingerprints using a glass cleaning cloth. Do not use chemical cleaners to clean the touch
screen." Make sure to tell your car washes not to use any cleaners when they clean and wipe down the interiors.
Old 12-03-06, 12:48 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

I use the LCD cleaning pads used for laptops. There's a wet cloth and dry cloth. The wet pad is very mild and removes the fingerprints well.
Old 12-03-06, 11:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by SGT
I would avoid using Windex since it contains ammonia that can degrade the LCD screen. A microfiber cloth on its own is perfectly fine.
agree, i know some people who used windex on their sc430 and it was terrible. that told me windex is too aggressive arleady