GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Adaptitive Headlights must be package with Mark Levenson

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-06, 12:58 PM
stech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptitive Headlights must be package with Mark Levenson

Why does Lexus force buyers to the Mark Levenson package, in order to get AFS? You can't buy that separately or Lexus will have to tell 3 months to customize it. Anyone bought GS350 with AFS without buying Mark Levenson?
Old 11-14-06, 03:26 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stech
Why does Lexus force buyers to the Mark Levenson package, in order to get AFS? You can't buy that separately or Lexus will have to tell 3 months to customize it. Anyone bought GS350 with AFS without buying Mark Levenson?
This may be a regional thing. I just bought a AWD GS350 and the AFS came with the rain sensing wipers for myself. If I would have ordered the ML, it would have been a special order here in Minneapolis.
Old 11-14-06, 06:13 PM
stech
Driver School Candidate

That makes sense. I hope the Dealers in my region will buy more GS350 with Rain Sensing Package ( AFS ) included with their cars. Funny thing is 9 out of 10 dealers tries to convince me to skip the ML sound system ( because their inventories has less ML packages. I'm going to wait till December to see if their inventories change. I am shopping for a GS350AWD, but I want the AFS. Right now I can't find one, until they are packaged with ML.
Old 11-14-06, 06:20 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Please - Is the ML system really worth the $$? From the info I have been gathering I have a feeling it is.
I will also want GPS too so I have heard that the ML system is a must.
Old 11-14-06, 06:27 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Please - Is the ML system really worth the $$? From the info I have been gathering I have a feeling it is.
I will also want GPS too so I have heard that the ML system is a must.
Not to me! - I brought in my CDs to the dealership and compared the ML to the Premium. - I doubt I could tell them apart in a blind test.

Yes you can get the GPS (Nav) without the ML. - That is what I ordered!
Old 11-14-06, 06:44 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Cd's aren't DVD audio's. But it has to work for your ears only. what ever you hear to be best is best to you, and who cares what others say or hear. Your ears are your own.
BUT In my mind there is a significant difference between a CD, which is the highest quality the regular sound sustem will handle and the DVD audio, which is the best the ML will handle.
BIG blind audible difference.

I agree with comparing a CD regular sound system to a CD ML sound system, there isn't that much of a blind difference.
To answer yes the ML is worth the money..... for the sound... for the DVD option.....

Last edited by Jace7; 11-14-06 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-14-06, 06:56 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jace7
Cd's aren't DVD audio's.
There is a significant difference between a CD, which is the highest quality the regular sound sustem will handle and the DVD audio, which is the best the ML will handle.
BIG blind audible difference.

I agree with comparing a CD regular sound system to a CD ML sound system, there isn't that much of a blind difference.
To answer yes the ML is worth the money..... for the sound... for the DVD option.....

CD audio is far better than DVD audio. DVD is for video, not audio! - I have yet to find a DVD with a better audio track than a good CD! - I have 3 DVD players in my home systems. None of them can touch a finely recorded CD. You are fooling yourself!
Old 11-14-06, 07:01 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Yawn.
Like I said, your ears hear what you want, mine hear what mine want. To me it's worth it.
I'm glad your home systems are great.
Yes a DVD is video, but it's one more option you get when you get the ML that you don't get when you get the premium.

This is a childish round and round that I have heard on so many threads.
It's annoying and pathetic.

Get what sounds better to your own ears and who gives a *(*(*&(*&(*& what others "think" they hear or what others are fooling themselves.

Get what sounds better.

Try it out, sit in it. See... or hear for yourself.

It's that simple.
Old 11-14-06, 07:17 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Well known in Audio circles.

"It gets worse, though. Not only is DVD sound digital, it is compressed digital. Anybody who has ever heard the sound quality of an MP3 file when compared to its original source can tell you that digital compression makes already-bad audio sound even worse. Of course, if the DVD video is compressed, why should the zealots care if the audio is compressed?

Finally, it's worth mentioning that all of these high-end sound formats such as "Dolby Digital 5.1" and "DTS" are pure junk. Scientists have demonstrated that the human brain is not capable of separating out more than four simultaneous sound channels at once. Coincidentally, four channels is what you get with the tried-and-true Dolby Surround technology (an analog technlogy that is available on VHS tapes.) Digital formats that claim to offer five, six, or even seven channels might sound tempting, but remember that your brain cannot process this much information anyway, so the point is moot! (And beyond that, it's all compressed digital sound, so it's garbage to begin with.)"
Old 11-14-06, 07:19 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

maybe we all just have to turn up our batteries on the aids.
to each his own.
good hearing.......
Old 11-14-06, 07:48 PM
ucmyGS350
Rookie

Hi Stech,

To answer your question, I'm here in the NYC area and I was told that all cars come pre-packaged from the factory this way to the northeast. I was told there are only 3 available pkgs here...base, base w/navi or base with ML Navi... I wanted the AFS and the rain sensing wipers also but the only way to get it is thru ML Navi system. I actually had to educate some of these sales guys and their managers. Believe it or not they are under the impression that as long as you have HIDs the AFS comes with it. It really is amazing that most car shoppers know more about the models then the sales people?

Even the IS250AWD non-ML navi comes with the AFS but not the GS...go figure?

I bet in the 2008 model GS350 AFS will be standard.

If you really want it and don't wish to wait 3 months for special order...i suggest buying it in another state that has it and either drive it back or ship it back?
Old 11-14-06, 08:17 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it's a regional thing. I bought a base GS350 three weeks ago and it came with AFS, rain sensing, and headlamp washer. The car has no nav or ml so I guess the features were standards here in south florida.
Old 11-14-06, 08:45 PM
AudiMan
Driver

I got Nav, no ML, i got AFS :-)
Old 11-15-06, 07:33 AM
stech
Driver School Candidate

Default Afs

Yes, most of these lexus Sales people don't know about the AFS. Think I'll wait for 2008 GS350.
Old 11-15-06, 08:50 AM
ucmyGS350
Rookie

Yes, most of these lexus Sales people don't know about the AFS. Think I'll wait for 2008 GS350.
How can you resist the temptation? You might have to wait until next fall for the 2008...why don't you just special order and wait the 3 months?