GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Front licence plate holder

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-06, 01:49 PM
Snowhite
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front licence plate mount

I was SHOCKED when my salesman pulled into my driveway to deliver my new beautiful Crystal White GS430 and I saw that ugly piece of black plastic bolted on to the front bumper. It not only looked hideous, but it doesn't even fit the actual licence plate! Having a plate in front ruins the design of the car for me, so I had the dealership remove it, fill in the holes and repaint it, but I'm concerned about getting a ticket. Has anyone received a ticket for no front licence plate? If so, how much does it cost and do you just pay a fine or is it a "fix it" ticket and you have to prove you've installed it?

Last edited by Snowhite; 09-14-06 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-14-06, 01:55 PM
G-Ride
Driver School Candidate

Both.. fix-it and pay fine.
Old 09-14-06, 02:38 PM
RandalR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Snowhite

I was SHOCKED when my salesman pulled into my driveway to deliver my new beautiful Crystal White GS430 and I saw that ugly piece of black plastic bolted on to the front bumper. It not only looked hideous, but it doesn't even fit the actual licence plate! Having a plate in front ruins the design of the car for me, so I had the dealership remove it, fill in the holes and repaint it, but I'm concerned about getting a ticket. Has anyone received a ticket for no front licence plate? If so, how much does it cost and do you just pay a fine or is it a "fix it" ticket and you have to prove you've installed it?
Better just go buy a slim chrome one that doesn't look so bad. You won't get away with not having the front plate in California for very long.
Old 09-14-06, 02:59 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

At least they put black plastic thing on yours...
My GX... they screwed it right onto my front bumper...
Old 09-14-06, 07:34 PM
Snowhite
Driver School Candidate

It's actually been 4mos since I bought my car and the dealer did paint the plastic mount white to match my car and even threw in a nice chrome licence plate holder, but I just can't bring myself to have it put back on. I guess for now I'll cross my fingers and pray I don't get pulled over and if I do, I hope the policeman has a weakness for beautiful blondes!
Old 09-14-06, 07:37 PM
Snowhite
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hsk73
At least they put black plastic thing on yours...
My GX... they screwed it right onto my front bumper...
Ouch....Sorry your car got assaulted.

Last edited by Snowhite; 09-14-06 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-14-06, 08:17 PM
RandalR
Pole Position

I guess for now I'll cross my fingers and pray I don't get pulled over and if I do, I hope the policeman has a weakness for beautiful blondes!
You left that detail out - so in that case, I'd say you have nothing to worry about.
Old 09-15-06, 04:44 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's actually been 4mos since I bought my car and the dealer did paint the plastic mount white to match my car and even threw in a nice chrome licence plate holder, but I just can't bring myself to have it put back on. I guess for now I'll cross my fingers and pray I don't get pulled over and if I do, I hope the policeman has a weakness for beautiful blondes!
All policemen have a soft, and hard spot, for beautiful blondes... you should be good. Just make sure you fix yourself right (like in Cannonball Run I) before the officer approaches you.
Old 09-15-06, 06:15 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's like the weather... If you don't like it, move.

California is not about the change their tagging laws. They just are purchasing an infrared camera that reads the front plate and determines if a warrant has been issued for any reason. It uses a new on board computer with a large hard drive to hold the database. It's capable of thousands of tag reviews per hour.
Old 09-15-06, 12:17 PM
Snowhite
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tammy
It's like the weather... If you don't like it, move.

California is not about the change their tagging laws. They just are purchasing an infrared camera that reads the front plate and determines if a warrant has been issued for any reason. It uses a new on board computer with a large hard drive to hold the database. It's capable of thousands of tag reviews per hour.
Hmmm....that sounded a bit harsh. I am well aware of why they want you to have a front plate, but was curious how much a fit-it ticket cost and was interested if most people end up conforming to the law. Then I can make an educated choice for myself.
Old 09-17-06, 08:02 AM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I just moved to TX recently from FL (where no front license plate is required) and received 2 citations... one for no front license plate ($150) and another for "obstructed rear license plate" ($150). The "obstructed" thing was because I had a plate frame from South Motors Infiniti that covered most of the TEXAS part but none of the letters/numbers. Crazy.
Old 09-17-06, 11:28 AM
wassabie
Driver School Candidate

my salesman understood that I didn't want to put two holes in my bumper. He just said to make sure you keep the front license plate holder in your car...and if you get pulled over, just say you just purchased the car and you were trying to find time to put it on.

just make sure you keep your car nice and shiny all the time =)
Old 09-18-06, 10:27 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

It's all about how 'LUCKY' you are in CA!!
Both front license plate and tinted windows...

I have a friend who never got pulled over! Even with 80% tint on all of his windows!!
Another one.... had to remove tint on his front window twice in last 3 years!! And, he only had 25% front and 50% rear!!
Old 09-18-06, 04:49 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wouldn't it be illegal for the dealer to perform this work?
Old 09-18-06, 10:30 PM
Snowhite
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaveJ
Wouldn't it be illegal for the dealer to perform this work?
Yeah, it's illegal...they don't like to do it, but I told them I'd sign a waiver, so they did it. They did a full tint on my windows too!