GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Check Engine Light - Check VSC

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-11, 07:50 PM
08lexus350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RufRidn
I came to my car today and it was completely dead. I have no idea why as everything was off. I had to give the battery a charge and then it started but it had the check vsc, check engine and the triangle next to check engine on when it started. Also the windows didnt work. I had to reset the windows because I couldnt control any of them through the drivers side. I drove the car around for a block, turned it off and turned it back on and everything went back to normal. Now Im trying to figure out the problem because I didnt do anything different since the last time I drove it.
how did you rest your windows? i have the same problems all my service lights are on and mainly power steering is out (P/S)
Old 10-23-11, 08:28 PM
CRAB
Driver School Candidate

I had my '06 at Lexus of Portland yesterday to replace a bad wheel bearing ($1K) and figure out why the "VSC Check Engine !" lights are on. The said my bank 2 cat failed and was going to run a little over $2K to replace. I mentioned that I'd like to purchase a gas cap, but they told me they wouldn't recommend it that my cap tested fine and would be a waste of money. My nearest dealer is two hours away, and now I wish I would have just bought the cap for my own curiosity. Any recommendations on cat converter replacement......magnaflow?
Old 10-24-11, 09:25 AM
InvisibleM
Rookie

you should have bought the cap anyways and spent the 25 dollars to see if thats all it was. I bought one when my vsc light came on and it went off after i disconnected the battery and cleared the codes
Old 10-24-11, 01:56 PM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CRAB
I had my '06 at Lexus of Portland yesterday to replace a bad wheel bearing ($1K) and figure out why the "VSC Check Engine !" lights are on. The said my bank 2 cat failed and was going to run a little over $2K to replace. I mentioned that I'd like to purchase a gas cap, but they told me they wouldn't recommend it that my cap tested fine and would be a waste of money. My nearest dealer is two hours away, and now I wish I would have just bought the cap for my own curiosity. Any recommendations on cat converter replacement......magnaflow?
the failed cat is not covered under the emissions warranty?
Old 10-24-11, 04:33 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like this error comes up for a lot of different reasons, mines came on I went to autozone to get the error code read, it came back error code P0420 something to do with the catalytic converter on bank 1 most people are telling me its an oxygen sensor im taking it tomorrow to the shop not the dealer, mine is out of warranty dont feel like getting the run around, ill keep ya advised. So if other people could find out what error codes they got it would help other guys out like you guys with the gas caps do you know what error code you had
Old 10-24-11, 05:59 PM
CRAB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caveman
the failed cat is not covered under the emissions warranty?
not at 110K miles. Dealer insisted that the sensors all checked out and that everything pointed to bank 2 cat. I'd like to prove otherwise.....I'll get the dealer codes when my wife gets home with the car....

Last edited by CRAB; 10-24-11 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-24-11, 09:22 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I posted this on the ES350 TSIB thread but as I recall from reading the TSIB there were half a dozen other affected vehicles listed. Maybe the GS was on that list

"I had replacement work done on my 2007 ES350s VVTI and camshaft under a TSIB 2622. Anyone have a copy of this? The symtoms were suddenly

1. Master Warning Light with "Check VSC" on the display;
2. The check engine light; and
3. The VSC slippery car light.

The TSIB mentions ticking from the cam gears though I did not notice it (until after the work was performed when I noticed it starts very quiet now)"
Old 10-26-11, 12:45 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Hey crab it might be the O2 sensor on the passenger side I had bank 1 on my error code which was the driver side,just got it replaced you should get the O2 sensors check first
Old 10-26-11, 07:39 PM
CRAB
Driver School Candidate

From the dealer...
"Found code PO420 stored. Bank 2 converter threshold malfunction. Monitored air fuel sensor and oxygen sensor operation. Completed troubleshooting flowchart tests, confirmed bank 2 converter is bad. need to replace cat converter".
Old 10-27-11, 12:49 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

This was the same code I got but on bank 1 and had to change the O2 sensor on that side, there is one on the other side which is bank 2 I would first try changing that O2 sensor first and see what happens
Old 10-27-11, 08:17 PM
CRAB
Driver School Candidate

Hopefully I got one of those "self healing" converters.....wife called and the lights turned off while driving home. Was on for about a month........no idea
Old 10-29-11, 01:44 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by steviej
supposedly Lexus has a new gas cap that has helped with the various and erratic erray of lights. The new cap is 77300-47010, has yellow printing on the top and a reddish brown gasket. (the previous cap has white printing and a black gasket). I installed this new one early this week and so far so good. fingers crossed.

A while back, I bought a decent scan tool and anytime the lights came on CHECK VSC and the (!), I would hook it up and never get any codes.

On occasion, I would get the "ultimate display of nonsense" (P/S, CHECK 4WD, ABS, AFS OFF, PCS, ! in triangle, Tranny position indicator light goes out, and the temp gauge goes to C) and still no codes would show up. The only light that never came on was the MIL (orange engine block).

The parts guy at my dealership was kind of sheepish when I commented that it was about time they came up with a fix for this nonsense. He also apologized for the $35 price tag. Kinda like Lexus gouging because they know people that have had these lights will pay the $35 to end the constant "oh crap the lights are on again!!"

lets hope this is a final fix.

steviej

Ok, the cause of all my "check everything" lights has been identified and resolved. It ain't the gas cap.

Turns out in my case all the lights I initially get when they appear are all steering related. Unfortunately, I could never get the car to the dealer when all the lights were on. Last summer I did, but the valet turned the car off and when the tech turned it back on the lights were gone. The check engine light was never on so none of the codes stayed in any memory.

Two weekends ago, I got the lights while on the way home from work. I diverted right to the dealership and they were able to pull all the active codes. When Lexus' National TASC (sp?) was notified of the exact codes they instruced the tech to load test the battery. They have seen my combinations of codes before. The battery failed. I must note, that the battery had enough juice to start the car every day and never gave me any traditional battery problems. Oddly enough last June, I had taken the car by an Autozone to check the battery on a whim. What appeared to be a fumbling high school kid that couldn't figure out the test equipment hooked up two wires to my battery and in less then 20 seconds was telling me his meter indicated that my battery "failed". I passed this off more to maybe an inexperienced kid not knowing how to use the equipment as the car was starting fine and the battery was holding a charge.

Anyway. It turns out that on occassion my battery was heating up and then emitting some kind of gas that would effect the power steering ECU which is located directly below the battery support. When the gas got into the steering ECU housing it would cause miscommunications in the CAN BUS system starting with the steering system and anything related. Once the CAN BUS system was throwing up, other odd issues would appear: for example, the temperatur gauge would drop to C, the outside temp woudl change from a number to E and the light behind the automatic transmission gear selector would go out.

The battery was replaced with a domestic Lexus battery. (Point of interest: Interstate makes these batteries and puts the Lexus name on them). Since this has been going on intermittently for two years now, Lexus has picked up the cost of the battery and intstallation as well as all the diagnostic attempts over the passed two years. AWESOME!

They also informed me that they have been having problems with the factory original batteries (which were made by Panasonic).

Suggestion, if you are having the same codes as I stated in the quote, then have your battery load tested. It could be the cause of your lights as well.

steviej
Old 10-31-11, 08:45 AM
08lexus350
Driver

Originally Posted by steviej
Ok, the cause of all my "check everything" lights has been identified and resolved. It ain't the gas cap.

Turns out in my case all the lights I initially get when they appear are all steering related. Unfortunately, I could never get the car to the dealer when all the lights were on. Last summer I did, but the valet turned the car off and when the tech turned it back on the lights were gone. The check engine light was never on so none of the codes stayed in any memory.

Two weekends ago, I got the lights while on the way home from work. I diverted right to the dealership and they were able to pull all the active codes. When Lexus' National TASC (sp?) was notified of the exact codes they instruced the tech to load test the battery. They have seen my combinations of codes before. The battery failed. I must note, that the battery had enough juice to start the car every day and never gave me any traditional battery problems. Oddly enough last June, I had taken the car by an Autozone to check the battery on a whim. What appeared to be a fumbling high school kid that couldn't figure out the test equipment hooked up two wires to my battery and in less then 20 seconds was telling me his meter indicated that my battery "failed". I passed this off more to maybe an inexperienced kid not knowing how to use the equipment as the car was starting fine and the battery was holding a charge.

Anyway. It turns out that on occassion my battery was heating up and then emitting some kind of gas that would effect the power steering ECU which is located directly below the battery support. When the gas got into the steering ECU housing it would cause miscommunications in the CAN BUS system starting with the steering system and anything related. Once the CAN BUS system was throwing up, other odd issues would appear: for example, the temperatur gauge would drop to C, the outside temp woudl change from a number to E and the light behind the automatic transmission gear selector would go out.

The battery was replaced with a domestic Lexus battery. (Point of interest: Interstate makes these batteries and puts the Lexus name on them). Since this has been going on intermittently for two years now, Lexus has picked up the cost of the battery and intstallation as well as all the diagnostic attempts over the passed two years. AWESOME!

They also informed me that they have been having problems with the factory original batteries (which were made by Panasonic).

Suggestion, if you are having the same codes as I stated in the quote, then have your battery load tested. It could be the cause of your lights as well.

steviej
i think i might have the same problem as you here, by any chance did your power steering ever go out on you because of this?
Old 11-01-11, 05:01 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 08lexus350
i think i might have the same problem as you here, by any chance did your power steering ever go out on you because of this?
anytime the P/S light came on, which was most of the time I got the check everything lights, the power steering would go out. Sound suspicious. Lexus is familar with it. Take it in and have them load test the battery. If you need a reference, my Lexus incident number with National Customer Service was (Incident: 111006-000269). The entire ordeal and resolution should be documented there.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 11-01-11 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-01-11, 05:12 PM
08lexus350
Driver

just took my battery to auto zone and got it tested,
results:
GOOD
Voltage 12.06V
Measured 365 CCA
Rated 585 CCA
Temp 60 degree F

-the guy who tested the battery said it still is good, but my P/S is still on