GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Check Engine Light - Check VSC

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-11, 03:16 AM
EA6BMECH
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Newie here. I read from start to finnish. Sorta giggling my **** off about this Lexus. Wif bought one and the troubles are starting. Had 75K on it. Bought the GS300 from a Ford dealership, more to the story, but later. They goofed on the link on the rear changing the shock. Thanks for the pics!!! I'll check the gas cap 1st. Was gonna take it on a 2k trip Saturday, but I think I trust my 263K Camry more.... Great post guys!!!
Old 11-05-11, 03:34 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 08lexus350
just took my battery to auto zone and got it tested,
results:
GOOD
Voltage 12.06V
Measured 365 CCA
Rated 585 CCA
Temp 60 degree F

-the guy who tested the battery said it still is good, but my P/S is still on
If the only light you are getting is the P/S light then take it in, the power steering ECU may have crapped out. This did happen to another member. I never got the P/S light alone, it was alway accompanied by the CHECK VCS, CHECK 4WD, (!), BRAKE, ABS, etc lights.

steviej
Old 11-05-11, 04:44 PM
08lexus350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my main problem was the P/S not working, but i do have all the other lights on as your saying. i ran the code and came up as a MAF sensor so i got a new one, but no other code so i thought P/S is its own separate thing
Old 01-16-12, 09:41 AM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well ive been putting this off for aslong as I could, but lights still kept coming up. So off to the dealership to see if I do indeed need to change my cats, did a lil research the cats are fed mandated covered for 7yrs 80k miles, and im only at 62k
Old 01-17-12, 09:12 PM
DJKADDYA23
Driver School Candidate

Had that happen to me too, due to a full service gas station filled up my gas and didn't tighten my gas lid enough. I opened it and closed it turning it a couple clicks like usual pass the "closed" point. Eventually a couple days later the check vsc light went off, all good!!!
Old 01-19-12, 03:23 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Well dealer called me back to tell me the good news, its not the cats but there was an exhaust leak that was causing the O2 sensors to act up and cause the check engine light to go on. Luckly its covered under the epa warranty so its getting replaced and they took care of the 3 recalls needed, all in all I was just putting off nothing. Got a nice 2012 RX350 to whip around till theyre done too
Old 06-28-12, 06:59 AM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This morning got the VSC light again but this time the car was unresponsive to pressing gas and it seemed like it was about to stall. Luckily I was able to coast into a gas station. NO its not the fuel cap because I changed it last year. Gas was added and the car started fine but the light remained on.

This time I believe driving on fumes caused it. My fuel light been on since yesterday on my five mile commute to work but being lazy I did not go to a gas station. I really have a bad habit of driving till the light comes on then put gas.

Search is usually my friend but could not find anything on the code below. I'm just going to reset and hopefully it was just a matter of driving with too little fuel.

Code - P0087
Faulty fuel pump
Blocked fuel filter
Open or short circuit condition
Failed pressure sensor
Old 07-05-12, 08:24 PM
kdouglas39
Rookie

Question P0087

Originally Posted by TriniGS
This morning got the VSC light again but this time the car was unresponsive to pressing gas and it seemed like it was about to stall. Luckily I was able to coast into a gas station. NO its not the fuel cap because I changed it last year. Gas was added and the car started fine but the light remained on.

This time I believe driving on fumes caused it. My fuel light been on since yesterday on my five mile commute to work but being lazy I did not go to a gas station. I really have a bad habit of driving till the light comes on then put gas.

Search is usually my friend but could not find anything on the code below. I'm just going to reset and hopefully it was just a matter of driving with too little fuel.

Code - P0087
Faulty fuel pump
Blocked fuel filter
Open or short circuit condition
Failed pressure sensor
TriniGS,

Did you figure out your problem or has the code come back on?
Old 07-09-12, 11:18 AM
Mdmurrell
Driver School Candidate

I own a 2006 gs350 and am currently experiencing same problem. Haven't taken it in yet.
Old 07-17-12, 05:45 PM
mbibbs
Driver School Candidate

I was having the "Christmas Tree" Lights come on in my 2006 GS430. I tried the gas cap, and it worked for about three weeks before the lights came back on. I went to AutoZone and the printout said it was Bank 2 sensor(s).

I borrowed Autozone's oxygen sensor tool after I ordered the two oxygen sensors from RockAuto Parts. It took me about two hours to replace both sensors. When the left side goes out, I should be able to replace them in about in hour now that I know what I'm doing.

I've driven the car 1700 miles since replacing the two passenger side sensors, and no lights have come back on.
Old 07-17-12, 10:22 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Find out what are the codes.
Old 07-18-12, 05:50 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The other day we had some pretty crazy rain, roads were flooded... of course that was the day I had to go across the city twice. Anyway, at one point, Check VSC came on... pulled over and scanned it P0158. Reset it, as soon as I started the car it came back on. Pulled over and reset it multiple times until later in the day on my way home, reset it before heading off again and it didn't come back again.

I think the rear O2 sensor on this car is subject to getting wet. I drove through some pretty mean puddles that probably soaked things, likely bottom of the car was immersed for short periods of time. Spent 2 hours in traffic and no light again so I think it just drained/dried off and is okay now... haven't been back out since. But still, shouldn't that stuff be completely waterproof?

Sensors were replaced under warranty a year or two ago, just wondering if the job was botched somehow or if this is kind of typical of using the car like a boat. There was no change in how the car drove when the light was on, if anything, it seemed to drive better...
Old 07-18-12, 09:08 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
The other day we had some pretty crazy rain, roads were flooded... of course that was the day I had to go across the city twice. Anyway, at one point, Check VSC came on... pulled over and scanned it P0158. Reset it, as soon as I started the car it came back on. Pulled over and reset it multiple times until later in the day on my way home, reset it before heading off again and it didn't come back again.

I think the rear O2 sensor on this car is subject to getting wet. I drove through some pretty mean puddles that probably soaked things, likely bottom of the car was immersed for short periods of time. Spent 2 hours in traffic and no light again so I think it just drained/dried off and is okay now... haven't been back out since. But still, shouldn't that stuff be completely waterproof?

Sensors were replaced under warranty a year or two ago, just wondering if the job was botched somehow or if this is kind of typical of using the car like a boat. There was no change in how the car drove when the light was on, if anything, it seemed to drive better...
P0158 - Bank 2 sensor 2 Oxygen sensor High. Either defective oxygen sensor/heater circuit or bad wiring.
Old 07-19-12, 08:10 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
P0158 - Bank 2 sensor 2 Oxygen sensor High. Either defective oxygen sensor/heater circuit or bad wiring.
So far, after clearing it for the last time after many clearings after driving through the high waters... it hasn't come back. I think water just got into the harness or something and after drying was okay... if something IS bad then I still have until next september on the emissions warranty so I trust the problem will present itself again in that time period. I still think it was just water where it shouldn't have been... but how the water was able to get there, I don't know... everything should be water tight really, or at least I would have hoped so.
Old 07-19-12, 03:50 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got my Check VSC warning two days ago - 2 weeks into ownership!
Went to Toyota and got one of their techs to plug it in and give me the news......from the code (which I forgot to ask what it was) he recalled from memory that it was the dreaded O2 and ECU problem.
Cost to rectify said problem? Only £2500-ish!
He reset it and suggested I look at getting a warranty asap.

As I drove off, I decided to get fuel then, rather than where I was headed to — so, filled it to the gills, and set off to my intended destination.
Later that day, I was speaking to the mechanic working at a unit across the yard, after I'd been informed his diagnostic machine was able to do more than just the German marques.
Asked him if it could read Lexus, and he showed me that it did, and he agreed to plug it in and see what was stored.

Still with me? Good, we're almost there......!
After looking playing around in the Lexus section, he reset it for me again, and said the problem was with one of the post-CAT O2 sensors.
When digging for knowledge and understanding, he stated that if the ECU was involved, as per dealership technician, he'd have expected more fault codes logged and not being able to reset them.

Being reasonably buoyant that I was only going to have to replace an O2 sensor, which he'd advised on going with NGK's, I started getting a bit depressed again once I was informed NGK UK don't yet have a sensor for this model version, and I probably couldn't use a US imported one because of differing emissions levels.

And so, I read through this thread from start to finish, and thought I'd at least give the filler cap a good wringing - at worst, I'll still be up O2 creek without a sensor.
So 5 clicks, with downward pressure for good measure, I set off on a quick errand, stopping the car only once before returning shortly after.
Set off again some time later, visiting a friend for a couple of hours. As soon as I'd reversed out, it struck me - NO LIGHTS!

I'll be back at the unit again, so I'll ask him to see if the code is still there, or gone now.

Therefore, in a long-winded way, what I'm trying to say is..............I LOVE YOU GUYS!!
If the parts place I spoke with earlier today had either an NGK or the cheaper alternative to the OE one in stock, I could be out of pocket a fair bit of money with nothing to show for it.
Thanks to you, and this thread, I've "fixed" the issue myself at ZERO cost.

The moral of this tale, if there is one, is......don't presume the diagnostic computer is always right.

Last edited by Boron; 07-19-12 at 04:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light - Check VSC