GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Special Order and other stuff

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-05, 11:55 PM
Bmw2lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Special Order and other stuff

Just wanted to see if anyone knows how long is the wait time for a special order?
I put a deposit for a Blue Onyx Pearl/Black GS430, however....
the dealer I went to said that the color combination was not available yet. He showed me the allocation sheet and I confirmed it (only 7 Blue Onyx Pearl/Cashmere in California/West Coast). Over the weekend, I dropped by Longo and asked the same question (by the way they had every color except for Quartz Shadow on Sat. night and it is how I decided on my color, I initally wanted Black/Black). The sales rep told me that the procedure in special ordering would take about 2 months??? He said that they had to send a request to Japan...blah blah blah... two months plus or minus weeks or months. So I was wondering if this was the procedure?
So I went back to the dealer I'm working with (not Longo) and told him I wanted Blue Onyx Pearl/Black. He tried to sell me a flint mica/ash 430 (beautiful by the way) because it was my third choice. They had the Flint/Ash there and I could have been driving the Flint by now.
But I've got my heart set on Blue Onyx Pearl. The April/May allocations should be in the dealers by mid-march, so I am crossing my fingers that they will build a Blue/Black. Has anyone seen a Blue/Black combo? In California?

By the way, I have been driving my 2000 X5 4.4i for the past five years. There were so many problems with it (1st year model). I hope Lexus doesn't have the same problems in first year models.

I have been looking at the 545i and was set on getting one before the GS came out. Luckily, the GS came out at the right time. I am ready to switch brands.
Old 03-03-05, 12:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

special order from japan will take about 90 days (3 months) to come in. sometimes with glitches it will take 4 months

keep in mind, that's if the car is NOT available at the long beach port, or they are not on the boat somewhere in the pacific at all. if one is already on the boat, it's going to be fast
Old 03-03-05, 12:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Bmw2lexus
Just wanted to see if anyone knows how long is the wait time for a special order?
I put a deposit for a Blue Onyx Pearl/Black GS430, however....
the dealer I went to said that the color combination was not available yet. He showed me the allocation sheet and I confirmed it (only 7 Blue Onyx Pearl/Cashmere in California/West Coast). Over the weekend, I dropped by Longo and asked the same question (by the way they had every color except for Quartz Shadow on Sat. night and it is how I decided on my color, I initally wanted Black/Black). The sales rep told me that the procedure in special ordering would take about 2 months??? He said that they had to send a request to Japan...blah blah blah... two months plus or minus weeks or months. So I was wondering if this was the procedure?
So I went back to the dealer I'm working with (not Longo) and told him I wanted Blue Onyx Pearl/Black. He tried to sell me a flint mica/ash 430 (beautiful by the way) because it was my third choice. They had the Flint/Ash there and I could have been driving the Flint by now.
But I've got my heart set on Blue Onyx Pearl. The April/May allocations should be in the dealers by mid-march, so I am crossing my fingers that they will build a Blue/Black. Has anyone seen a Blue/Black combo? In California?

By the way, I have been driving my 2000 X5 4.4i for the past five years. There were so many problems with it (1st year model). I hope Lexus doesn't have the same problems in first year models.

I have been looking at the 545i and was set on getting one before the GS came out. Luckily, the GS came out at the right time. I am ready to switch brands.

Welcome to Clublexus. VVTi on here sold his 2nd gen GS 430 and ordered the same blue mica 2006 GS 430. He told me it will take 7 weeks to arrive. So the 2 months they told you is about right. And he WORKS for Lexus.
Old 03-03-05, 05:01 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

To clarify. System probably works same as our european Toyota ordering.

They have list of cars in stock.
They have list of cars coming in next 2-3 months?
And then if you dont find your car among those, special ordering is straight from factory production 90-120 days.

Does it work like this there rockwille?
Old 03-03-05, 07:13 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Special Orders

Here on the East Coast a special oder takes about 3 and a half months to arrive. We are given regional monthly production lists that forcast what is coming for the next couple of months so that is how we know if there is a need for a special order. The Color combination must be allowed by the production listing first of all and it takes a couple of days for the computer system to confirm the order. Then we all wait......The West coast should take about 2 and a half to 3 months to get. A tall person might want a Sunroof delete for instance. Well the buyer will have to place a hefty non refundable deposit for the dealership to risk a market mismatch so they would much rather sell you something out of dealer stock on the ground or this month's allocation.
Old 03-03-05, 08:00 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you can special order how come you cant just get Blackwood with Black leather. If I had this option id walk into the dealership this afternoon with my checkbook. I dont feel good paying $50k for a car and not getting it the way I want it. Ill take black leather with rosewood but not for $50k. When the price comes down under sticker ill ****** one up.
Old 03-03-05, 08:56 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Special order does not mean Custom order..

Originally Posted by GammaLex
If you can special order how come you cant just get Blackwood with Black leather. If I had this option id walk into the dealership this afternoon with my checkbook. I dont feel good paying $50k for a car and not getting it the way I want it. Ill take black leather with rosewood but not for $50k. When the price comes down under sticker ill ****** one up.
Yeah, I hear ya....It would be costly to switch all of the wood after the fact. The black wood is masculine and doesn't show the Bird'seye Maple burl much. The Walnut is set against the Black Leather to "warm up" the look. Lexus made a mistake one year and offered only a Grey stained Bird'seye Maple with the Custom and Ultra Pkg. LS430's. That and the rim size/shape turned a lot of prospective buyer's away. Now they have much more variety but are not really "mix and match." I must comment that your Avatar and Headlight treatment are outstanding..
Old 03-03-05, 09:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GammaLex
you can only custom order the car to the option list that's available. so for example on the sc430, you supposed to be able to get white on black, but it's never done (at least in cali). so you can custom order it. however, black interior doesn't come with the pale brown wood at all, so even custom order you can't do it
Old 11-12-06, 06:01 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Sorry For Bring Up Old Topic

I search and found this thread.

Can you special order 07 GS430 with black interior with the blackwood? I only want black leather and I don't like redwood.
Old 11-12-06, 06:55 PM
RandalR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
I search and found this thread.

Can you special order 07 GS430 with black interior with the blackwood? I only want black leather and I don't like redwood.
No. You have to find a third party who wants to sell their black maple parts or exchange them for your red walnut. My advice is to just accept the red walnut - it grows on you and women love it.
Old 11-13-06, 01:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

correct, you can't get black interior with black wood. i checked and rechecked already..
Old 11-13-06, 06:23 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Could a Lexus dealer swap out the wood if I paid extra? Of course this would include a new steering wheel too, I'd imagine parts would be available.
Old 11-13-06, 07:33 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I agree! Lexus, although a superior car/company, has issues with truly customizing options for its clients. BMW in this area "only" is superior to LEXUS. They will customize not only every option, color of wood, but you can also, create custom paint colors for exterior for about 1,500 and they will paint it rose pink if you'd like.
LExus needs to step it up in this area of customizations to truly compete with other top class brands.
Jason
Old 11-13-06, 05:14 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

What I really dont like is the wood on the steering wheel and compared to the new IS, the wheel on the GS is thin and not sporty looking, guess it has to be thin due to the wood.

I really am ready for purchasing a new vehicle but I want something sporty inside with a nice thick steering wheel, I like the IS but am concerned about how small and tight the rear is. I really want a Nav and Lexus makes a better Nav than BMW and Infiniti fit and finish is not up to par just saw a 40 min video on google from an owner of an Inifiniti G35 forum who tested the new G35 and commented how fit and finish was below par and alot of rattles. BMW's Nav is terrible with lag time and drag in between responses and idrive. I tested NAV on Lexus and loved it.