GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

A Pillar Wet

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 03:35 PM
Metlupass2
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Pillar Wet

When it's raining out my left side a Pillar gets soaked. I thought maybe the sunroof drain tube was clogged but I blew it out with my air compressor.

Any ideas? It gets so wet it drips.

Thanks
Old 04-12-19, 03:50 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

Sunroof drain tube disconnected. Run a search in this forum, there are instructions on how to fix it.
The following 2 users liked this post by firelizard:
howat (12-26-21), tiguy99 (04-13-19)
Old 04-15-19, 08:21 AM
silverbul
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine use to leak everytime it rain or I wash my car. Took the liner off, removed the sunroof & carefully inspected it and it looked fine. But water test it leaked (passenger rear). So I bought a can of flex seal & sprayed all 4 corners including the track & the drain holes. Let dry for a day then put back together. Water test & water drains down the drain tube like it supposed to. I did this Sept 2018 & so far no more leaks.
Old 04-16-19, 07:56 AM
accrdpusha
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could also be a leak coming from the windshield. I had my windshield replaced once and they did not seal it correctly causing a leak.
The following users liked this post:
howat (12-26-21)
Old 04-16-19, 11:10 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Those little clamps that come on all 4 sunroof drain tubes are not the best. I recommend you upgrade those clamps so they do not come off again by accident.
Old 04-20-19, 11:19 AM
Metlupass2
Driver

Originally Posted by firelizard
Sunroof drain tube disconnected. Run a search in this forum, there are instructions on how to fix it.
Exactly what it was. I just took the headliner down just enough to reconnect it.
Old 04-20-19, 11:23 AM
Metlupass2
Driver

Originally Posted by shwalker07
Those little clamps that come on all 4 sunroof drain tubes are not the best. I recommend you upgrade those clamps so they do not come off again by accident.
I used a wire tie.
Old 05-18-21, 05:29 PM
LexUK400
Driver School Candidate

I have a sunroof drain problem. It was only on passenger side Water on Carpet, but after trying to clear any debris using a Net curtain wire Bu**er me if I didn't end up with both sides leaking. Could put a little water each side of the Sunroof and see it running down into the Car!!! If it was a blockage the water wouldn't have gone down.

Question is, have I somehow disconnected the hose from the Sunroof (this surely would show wetness on the A pillar?? ) or have I disconnected the pipe from wherever it goes below the A Pillar. Is there a "plug connector" like I've seen on the Infiniti G37 which is a common issue?
Been trying to find out where exactly it goes when it gets to the bottom of the A Pillar. Does it go through the Bulkhead and is possible to reach it and re-connect? or does it disappear beyond any reach. Can't see it behind electrics at scuff panel.
Before I take off the A Pillar cover (worried about the air bag - disconnect the Battery - yes/no?) it would be nice to know what to expect.
Any photo of lower end of the front pipes would be helpful, or advice. Thanks

Old 05-18-21, 06:45 PM
bbmach
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I just went through this last weekend – you don’t say which model you have, but on a 2000 GS400 the rear drains are located under the quarter panel, behind each rear wheel. You can actually get to them in the trunk by pulling the carpet up in each corner. Easy peasy, and I blew compressed air UP the hose, so not to disconnect the tubes from the sunroof pan in case of a blockage.

As for the fronts… I searched like crazy – even in the factory service manual - and ultimately found the front tubes exit inside the side rocker panels under the front doors. Don’t get me started… but if the pinch weld of the rocker has been crushed or distorted by a normal jack or jack stands, it’s very possible they aren’t helping the situation.

I started by blowing compressed air down the tubes and found that the water would drain from the top but couldn’t see where it was hitting the ground.

I got under the side of the car and opened the drain holes in the rocker with a small pry bar and blew out all the holes I could find. I then went back up top and slowly slid down a long piece of 10-gauge electrical wire. It felt like it was bottoming a few times before it should have reached the rocker panel, so I gently poked… blew air, poked some more until the wire went in further… and only then did I see water finally draining from along the pinch welds.

My guess is the drain tubes were blocked somewhere near the bottom, allowing water to slowly drain if testing, but not well enough if it rained hard allowing the water to back up.

I hope this helps.

PS – I searched this forum up and down, but only found posts referencing the solution was easily found with a search – but never a link to the post themselves. I wonder if they disappeared over the years.
The following 2 users liked this post by bbmach:
jbtvt (01-10-22), LexUK400 (05-19-21)
Old 05-19-21, 05:24 AM
LexUK400
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for responding - it helps give me confidence..

Car is a GS300 year 2000. I've just pulled away the A Pillar at the top as thereis a bolt holding it. However it seems stuck fat at the bottom. Not sure what else needs be done. Pulling upward doesn't do it.
I now know that the pipe is adrift at the Sun roof. Some stupid little spring clip the only thing that secures it and the pipe seems very flexible and clean at the end. Always stumped trying to remove fixtures withoat breaking things. The Sun visor clip has one screw. I then try to twist but no go. So, I pull out a rear part which is fine but there's still something holding it opposite the pressure clip. Whats holding it?? Tried twisting 90 degrees but doesn't come free. How do I get this out? Removed two screws from Sunglasses holder and assume just pry down unit? Slow progress.
Old 05-19-21, 11:45 AM
LexUK400
Driver School Candidate

So, got the Sunshade clips out.Needed to get tough with pliars Want to reconnect the Sunroof drain with minimum of disruption to Roof liner. - Is this possible? How liner is secured around the Sun roof baffles me. Is it just plugs and leverage will pull away?
Above door, I see Air bags and from images elsewhere on this forum perhaps there are two clips that need be turned 90 degrees to release liner? Perhaps can pull liner over the B Pillar without removing Pillar casing? . Hoping this is possible.

Terrible weather here in UK so good job I taped up my Sunroof or Car would be a Swimming Pool.
Old 05-19-21, 02:31 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

Just pull the headliner down a bit at the corner where it meets the A pillar. If you draw an imaginary line diagonally from there to the corner of the sunroof, the drain tube meets drain fitting in that area, you can reach in there and secure it. Removing the grab handle can give more room to pull the headliner down. Be careful not to crease it by folding it too harshly.
Mind the seal around the edge of the door opening, the black goop inside it will stain the headliner.
The following users liked this post:
LexUK400 (05-22-21)
Old 05-20-21, 02:12 AM
LexUK400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by firelizard
Just pull the headliner down a bit at the corner where it meets the A pillar. If you draw an imaginary line diagonally from there to the corner of the sunroof, the drain tube meets drain fitting in that area, you can reach in there and secure it. Removing the grab handle can give more room to pull the headliner down. Be careful not to crease it by folding it too harshly.
Mind the seal around the edge of the door opening, the black goop inside it will stain the headliner.
Thanks. Hoping a popper will release the headliner a bit more. Will make a Wedge to stick in so I don't need three hands. Will put tiny jubilee clip on pipe and with long screwdriver hope to tighten. That's the plan! Best laid, etc...
Old 05-22-21, 08:45 AM
LexUK400
Driver School Candidate

An update - well more of a question really. Found tube was too short Drivers side and not fixed in the clamps in the A pillar so guessing someone has mucked around before me nd shortened it. . Added a short piece of same diameter hose 2" poked into the existing pipe and managed (eventally) after heating with water to expand the tube enough to go onto the sunroof. pipe.

Passenger side, tube seemed long enough but very flexible at the end so understand why it came off when trying to clear any blockage. Not really able to lower the Headliner enough. Don't understand how its fixed all around the Sunroof aperture as there is no additional trim piece to peel off. Is it velcro'd or what?

So very slim as not managed to lower headliner over the door and small one inch extra piece of tubing added but is unwilling to go over the S/roof pipe. Cramp in hand so given up for today..Perseverence level low!
Old 06-11-21, 10:15 PM
BlazeViper
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

My driver's side tube did the exact same thing. I suspect it contracted from years of thermal cycling.