water leaking inside...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-12, 05:37 AM
boss22
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water leaking inside...?

Hi
Lately I have noticed that on rainy days I have a little leak inside my car.
The water coming into the car through A post. My quess is the leak has a place right under windshield drip side finish molding on a passenger side. The windshield drip side moulding has a bad rubber and I am wondering if I replace only that side moulding it going to help or it may be bad windshield seal and I would have to cut out the whole windshield and seal it back again?
In addition I can say that the other side has bad side windshield moulding rubber too but there's no any leak...

Last edited by boss22; 02-18-12 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-18-12, 06:56 AM
marine1342
Rookie

I would check the drainage holes in the sunroof. The left side more than likely is clogged up and so it may cause the water to overflow and leak instead of draining out. Had a similar problem on an old corolla I had, just needed to clean out the tube and hole and it was all good.
My dad's ls400 had a problem where in the back the trunk would collect water, and that was because the drainage tube had slipped out of the hole in the back and was pouring water into the trunk....
Old 02-18-12, 06:58 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boss22
Hi
Lately I have noticed that on rainy days I have a little leak inside my car.
The water coming into the car through A post. My quess is the leak has a place right under windshield drip side finish molding on a passenger side. The windshield drip side moulding has a bad rubber and I am wondering if I replace only that side moulding it going to help or it may be bad windshield seal and I would have to cut out the whole windshield and seal it back again?
In addition I can say that the other side has bad side windshield moulding rubber too but there's no any leak...
That windshield molding is an extremely common issue on the 2IS. Search CL for "windshield molding" and you'll find 2-3 long threads about it. It cracks and falls apart. Repair of it technically is only covered by the 4 yr/50k factory warranty (not CPO or VSA), but many CL members including myself have gotten their dealers to replace it goodwill for them. The parts cost I think at most between $100 and $200, and the labor is less than half an hour. You can actually do it yourself - there's a DIY in the threads I referred you to above.

That said, I'm not entirely sure that replacing that molding would fix your leak. I have a suspicion that that molding is not the only barrier to water in the A-pillar structure. I suspect that if you take off that windshield molding (which you or your dealer should do regardless, to replace it) you'll find a different issue. Maybe a bad seal with the windshield. In any case, I wouldn't think itd be a super expensive or complicated repair to reseal that area. But I don't know. Hope this helps!
Old 02-20-12, 06:25 PM
boss22
Driver

thank you guys for help, I have to replace the mouldings anyway cause they look bad. This car starts to pisses me off... Time to back to Bmw...??
Old 02-20-12, 06:26 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thank you guys for help, I have to replace the mouldings anyway cause they look bad. This car starts to pisses me off... Time to back to Bmw...??
Whoa

I wouldn't go THAT far

Old 02-20-12, 06:38 PM
boss22
Driver

I used to have 5 series.. ZERO issues!! Beautiful handling and power, My IS has poor handling, sorry...
Old 02-20-12, 07:11 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to have 5 series.. ZERO issues!! Beautiful handling and power, My IS has poor handling, sorry...
A BMW will usually handle better straight from the factory. Most of the BMW line up favors performance and power. Most of the Lexus line up favors Luxury and Comfort/Convenience. Lexus has proven on average to be more reliable than BMW overall, but all cars have their own issues. That being said, you can always add things like F-Sport sways if your unhappy with the handling of your IS - it makes a huge difference.

Which one is better for you is a choice that's up to you and only you tho.

I'm glad you had 0 issues with your BMW tho, most of the BMW owners I know wish they had that kinda luck with a BMW!