LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Water leaking into interior near sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-13, 05:40 PM
whokidd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leaking into interior near sunroof

I have a 1995 LS400. When it rains, water sometimes leaks into my car around the passenger sunroof area. It's weird because sometimes it leaks and sometimes it doesn't. I tried getting a water hose and wetting the top off my car, but couldn't seem to pin point the leak because the water wouldn't leak through. Any way I would be able to fix this on my own? Or is it best to take it into a shop? Are there any drains that are clogged that could be causing this?
Old 11-10-13, 07:08 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

The sunroof drain holes are most likely clogged. Just search this forum with the keyword sunroof drain holes and a bunch of threads will come up.
Old 11-11-13, 10:53 PM
whokidd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! Tested the front drain tubes before I put compressed air in them and they were clogged. But now the water drains through the tubes. Could not find the rear drain tubes though.
Old 11-12-13, 12:07 PM
Michael
Driver

Default Drain Holes for Sunroof

I think you have two in front and two in rear. Holes should be behind the rubber. If your leak happens at front, most likely you will have a clogged drain in front. If your leak happens at rear, then you have a clogged drain in rear.

In a rainy day, park your car on a uphill to see if the rear drain is clogged and on a down hill to see if front holes are clogged. It seeps through headliner.

I know mine is leaking at front-left but do not know how to unclog the hole. I've tried bowing air through it but wasn't successful.

Once you find the clogged hole, let me know how you clear the clog.
Old 11-13-13, 01:32 AM
xaper
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michael, I've also tried unclogging with compressed air and it didn't work. Try removing the front pillar garnish and you should see a small (short) tube connecting the hole at the top (the one you see looking from above the car with sunroof open) with the tube going around the car ending somewhere near the wheels I guess. In my case this small connector tube was clogged, so I simply removed it and using a piece of a material I have cleaned it all. The removal is a simple thing and I guess if you see it you would most likely know how to do it. Then just installation of the connector tube, panels and no more water inside the car.
Old 11-13-13, 09:17 AM
Crybicki
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same issue here but it is not because of clogged tubes. On my sunroof the passenger side, rear corner leaks. It is because my sunroof tightens down too much when it closes. I assume the gasket around the sunroof is bad but if I close my sunroof completely I can hear the air flow when I am driving. I have to use the tilt button to just barely open it so that the sunroof sits evenly and then I don't hear the air flow and don't have the leaks.
Old 11-13-13, 12:03 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I hate working on sunroofs! - ugh!

my least favorite car repair!! - fortunately I was able to find an LS400 without one of these vile contraptions! - lol
Old 11-13-13, 02:15 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The rear drains exit just after the rear wheels and the front rains usually dump just after the front wheels. If you can find the rear drains, the fronts will usually look the exact same...

If you cannot blow down the drains, you usually have to tape a garbage bag in place over the roof opening, to catch stuff and not to make a mess of the interior, and blow back up the drains from the outlets. Usually this will clear the drains. If you park under a pine tree, the needles often cause this type of blockage.

You should also clean and grease the tracks with and mechanism while you're in there!
Old 11-14-13, 10:03 PM
Michael
Driver

Default If Front Drain is Clogged

If your front drain is clogged, and if blowing high pressure air into the opening doesn't work, Xaper has suggested to remove the front Pillar Garnish over a PM. I have a Service Manual for 93 LS and see attached for the procedure on how to remove the Garnish. Once the Pillar Garnish is removed, according to Xaper, you would be able to visually see the drain hose, to remove to clear the clog.
Attached Files
Old 11-15-13, 02:25 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Or you could blow back up the hose from the bottom outlet to clear the blockage in a lot less time, with a lot lower risk of breaking tabs and clips!
Old 11-16-13, 12:07 AM
LSVIP
Rookie

Also, be sure your seals to your sunroof are in tact. I have clear drain pipes but I'm missing one of the "foam" (I guess?) seals near the front and have the same issue. I think it just can't get rid of the water fast enough so it spills over.
Old 11-19-13, 12:45 PM
xaper
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Michael, this is what I have wrote earlier in the thread and PM'd you. I'm sorry, but I didn't manage to take some pictures how to do it and how it looks like, but this weekend was full of other work. I will do it when I have some free time and post the pictures here.