GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Want to start of fixing up my gs300

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-19, 01:10 PM
acas98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to start of fixing up my gs300

Hey everyone so I’ve had a 2002 gs300 for almost a year now and I think it’s is time for me to start fixing up this beauty. Everything on the car is stock. Deftinly addimg coilovers to the car but I’m mostly looking for a nice body kit or any recommendations. Thanks!
Old 04-01-19, 05:35 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 377 Posts

How is it mechanically? Id start with making sure it is good on its maintenance before modifications. Whats the mileage?
Old 04-01-19, 06:11 PM
acas98
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
How is it mechanically? Id start with making sure it is good on its maintenance before modifications. Whats the mileage?
mechanically it is perfect, I only had to fix the radiator last year but that was because the cap was broken. Mileage is pretty high though it’s in the 220K but it still runs good
Old 04-02-19, 09:06 AM
100thieves
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you do i would contact your insurance to see if you can add a supplement so they would cover the cost of repair if someone runs into your car, or they will total it out and only give you 1700$ to keep it like they did me a little over a month ago
Old 04-02-19, 10:53 PM
acas98
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 100thieves
Before you do i would contact your insurance to see if you can add a supplement so they would cover the cost of repair if someone runs into your car, or they will total it out and only give you 1700$ to keep it like they did me a little over a month ago
wait so before I add like a new body kit and what not I need to contact my insurance to see if they can cover whatever I add on to the car or is it like an option to pay more insurance, but it gets covered?
Old 04-03-19, 06:10 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 377 Posts

What he's saying is that if you modify your car and do not have it mentioned or coverage added, if an accident happens, they will look at it and say, "Sorry, that's not the car we agreed to cover". But it sounds like he tried to make a claim.. I don't know why anyone would be using more than liability at this point on these cars anyway. Rearguards of our like for them, they are frankly, worthless. If I'm ever unlucky enough to get hit, oh well, onto the next cheap car. But that that's just my thoughts on it. They are going to total out the car anyway. A minor dent would exceed the vehicles value.
Old 04-03-19, 09:29 AM
acas98
Driver School Candidate

What he's saying is that if you modify your car and do not have it mentioned or coverage added, if an accident happens, they will look at it and say, "Sorry, that's not the car we agreed to cover". But it sounds like he tried to make a claim.. I don't know why anyone would be using more than liability at this point on these cars anyway. Rearguards of our like for them, they are frankly, worthless. If I'm ever unlucky enough to get hit, oh well, onto the next cheap car. But that that's just my thoughts on it. They are going to total out the car anyway. A minor dent would exceed the vehicles value.
ohhh I get what you mean now yeah I’m just trying to add new body kit and coilovers to my car so I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good websites besides car id.
Old 04-03-19, 04:08 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by acas98
ohhh I get what you mean now yeah I’m just trying to add new body kit and coilovers to my car so I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good websites besides car id.
As a follow-up to the previous suggestion, I'd only make changes that could be removed, in the case that the car is totaled.

Last edited by sbagdon; 04-04-19 at 05:49 AM.
Old 04-03-19, 04:23 PM
firelizard

Received 428 Likes on 341 Posts

. I don't know why anyone would be using more than liability at this point on these cars anyway. Rearguards of our like for them, they are frankly, worthless. If I'm ever unlucky enough to get hit, oh well, onto the next cheap car. But that that's just my thoughts on it. They are going to total out the car anyway. A minor dent would exceed the vehicles value.
I just got my claim estimated this morning, $1122 of damage will cost me my $100 deductible to repair. Filed a second claim for a minor dent, we'll see if that writes the car off.

Anyways, OP just Google "Lexus GS bodykit" and find one you like, then you can work on figuring out how to buy it. There's no one store to recommend if you don't know what you want yet. Generic American bodykit retailers all sell the same half-dozen knockoff kits from Extreme Dimensions or whatever, so you've probably seen all of those on CarID already.
Old 04-06-19, 12:10 PM
acas98
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by firelizard
I just got my claim estimated this morning, $1122 of damage will cost me my $100 deductible to repair. Filed a second claim for a minor dent, we'll see if that writes the car off.

Anyways, OP just Google "Lexus GS bodykit" and find one you like, then you can work on figuring out how to buy it. There's no one store to recommend if you don't know what you want yet. Generic American bodykit retailers all sell the same half-dozen knockoff kits from Extreme Dimensions or whatever, so you've probably seen all of those on CarID already.
Oh damn sorry to hear about that good luck on everything! And thank you, yeah I’ve been looking but haven’t seen any good kits so I’ll have to keep looking