GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Maintenance questions and should I get a tune up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-18, 09:10 PM
ToriGs300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance questions and should I get a tune up?

*** quick back story***
I have been reading though these forums for the few months. A few weeks ago I bought my first Lexus 2002 gs300 sport design black on black everything is stock.

Everything on this car has been well kept i have all the service records. I took my car for an oil change because the guy I bought it from said it was due for one. I took it in for an oil change and they inspected my vehicle found that both my lower front control arms needed to be replaced. Its an local highly rated reputable shop that only work on Toyota and Lexus. My belts and everything else was fine.

i forgot to mention my mobile mechanic checked my lower control arms when he was replacing them and showed me the ones I had on were fine. They are not torn like the shop told me. But I still had him put the new ones on, since I had bought the oem parts. Along with the parts that actually needed to be replaced.

When I brought my car back home I thankfully had my friend take my tire off and we had checked out the front suspension and saw that my otter tie rid ends and my lower ball joints had needed to be repalced. It was just time to replace them. Which the shop said nothing about.

***** fast forward to now *****
I got it done, I recently called asking for a qoute for a tune up. The shop informed me with my high milage I don't get tune ups any more. I only get what needs to be fixed for when they inspect my vehicle with oil changes/brake changes
Which I'm like wtf I've never heard anything like that.
mileage is 315,XXX
I want to get a transmission flush but they have told me I shouldn't do it. They will inspect it first see whats going on.
(there is nothing wrong with it)

I would like to get my brake fluid, radiator and heater core, power steering, transmission all flushed. There car isn't pulling bad or having issues. Just for my own comfort I'd like to start off new. All the fluid colors look fine well i will double check in the morning to be certain

My question is this normal for maintenance with these cars just to fix things as needed? Should I just go elsewhere and get a tune up? Any tips or input for keeping up with the maintenance will be helpful?

Last edited by ToriGs300; 01-13-18 at 10:57 PM. Reason: I accidentally clicked submit before finished typing
Old 01-12-18, 07:41 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

I've never heard of that either. I usually adhere to the Lexus schedule for things like timing belt and water pump changes, spark plugs, and the like. Most of those things last a while but still need to be done every 90-100k. But I also do fluid and filter changes regularly, like air and cabin filters and a radiator flush. My car is 99% dealer serviced so I know they are using the correct Toyota fluids.

Keep in mind a radiator flush is different than a drain and fill. I did a drain and refill oh about 10 years ago and haven't had an issue since. Some religiously change their fluid and that's cool, too.
Old 01-12-18, 10:07 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

I would strongly suggest going somewhere else to get your tune up done. What that shop is saying is all garbage. Regarding changing the transmission oil, I agree don't do a flush. A drain a fill will be fine.

You might think you can't do these things yourself but it's really easy to change most of the fluids except the brake fluid.
If you don't have any service records I would recommend the following:
1. Well obviously engine oil
2. Transmission drain and fill. (check the color first...if it's brown / black then if may need multiple drain and fills).
3. Coolant flush
4. Check power steering fluid and if it is also brown / black then it would be good to get it changed.
5. If your brake fluid is not clear then it wouldn't hurt to get that changed as well.
6. Spark plugs
Old 01-12-18, 03:06 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

ToriGs300, congrats on your new-to-you car and welcome to CL.
Our cars last a long time, with the proper care and maintenance, that you obviously are wanting to do.
First, it is my personal opinion that you should run away from the mechanic that gave you that piece of **** advice. He/she is either incompetent or trying to set you up for a long scam.
The spark plugs are iridium and should be changed every 120,000 miles.
Every 90,000 miles: change timing belt and water pump, which takes care of your antifreeze--get the Toyota pink and do it every time you do the TB & WP--. Of course, if you change the upper and lower radiator hoses and serpentine belt, it'll be easier to keep up with the schedule.
If you don't want to disassemble the power steering hoses, remove the fluid with a turkey baster, put new one in, move the steering wheel lock to lock several times and repeat--or drive the car for a few days--. Eventually, with several times doing this you'll have acceptably clean PS fluid.
When you do a brake job you can bleed the bakes until all you have is clean fluid. It will take 2 bottles from Toyota.
BTW, whenever you can buy from a Toyota stealership and not Lexus. Parts are usually cheaper and many are the same parts. Do an internet search if you are not in a hurry and you might be able to save some money.
Like Blaze876 stated, drain and fill your transmission--don't power flush--. It took 3 times and 10 quarts for my 2002 GS430 to drain red. I'll continue doing it once every 25,000 miles.
At your mileage things will pop up here and there. Parts are expensive if you go OEM. Use the search button and you'll find tons of advice and, more importantly, you will not make the same mistakes that we have all made.
One question, did the mechanic change the complete LCAs or just the bushings?
Old 01-13-18, 01:04 PM
ToriGs300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
ToriGs300, congrats on your new-to-you car and welcome to CL.
Our cars last a long time, with the proper care and maintenance, that you obviously are wanting to do.
First, it is my personal opinion that you should run away from the mechanic that gave you that piece of **** advice. He/she is either incompetent or trying to set you up for a long scam.
The spark plugs are iridium and should be changed every 120,000 miles.
Every 90,000 miles: change timing belt and water pump, which takes care of your antifreeze--get the Toyota pink and do it every time you do the TB & WP--. Of course, if you change the upper and lower radiator hoses and serpentine belt, it'll be easier to keep up with the schedule.
If you don't want to disassemble the power steering hoses, remove the fluid with a turkey baster, put new one in, move the steering wheel lock to lock several times and repeat--or drive the car for a few days--. Eventually, with several times doing this you'll have acceptably clean PS fluid.
When you do a brake job you can bleed the bakes until all you have is clean fluid. It will take 2 bottles from Toyota.
BTW, whenever you can buy from a Toyota stealership and not Lexus. Parts are usually cheaper and many are the same parts. Do an internet search if you are not in a hurry and you might be able to save some money.
Like Blaze876 stated, drain and fill your transmission--don't power flush--. It took 3 times and 10 quarts for my 2002 GS430 to drain red. I'll continue doing it once every 25,000 miles.
At your mileage things will pop up here and there. Parts are expensive if you go OEM. Use the search button and you'll find tons of advice and, more importantly, you will not make the same mistakes that we have all made.
One question, did the mechanic change the complete LCAs or just the bushings?

Yes he changed the complete lca's. Thankfully I took my own tire off and checked out my lca and they looked fine to me I was comparing them to the new oem lca I had bought from Lexus. But upon inspection I saw my tie rod ends and lower ball joints had needed to be replaced (that they said was fine.) I haven't exactly went through all the maintenance paperwork I have skimmed through most of it. And the guy i bought it from told me I can always call if when ever I have any questions or figure out with my car. So I do still talk to him about the car.

I am weary of taking my car to Toyota or Lexus stealership. Once I install my cameras on my vehicle i will start taking it to the stealership. But as of last I have found a certified mobile mechanic to do my work.

since putting on those parts it feels like I'm riding on air. Not a noticeable difference because i could hardly tell before it I needed those parts replaced.
Old 01-13-18, 01:10 PM
ToriGs300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blaze876
I would strongly suggest going somewhere else to get your tune up done. What that shop is saying is all garbage. Regarding changing the transmission oil, I agree don't do a flush. A drain a fill will be fine.

You might think you can't do these things yourself but it's really easy to change most of the fluids except the brake fluid.
If you don't have any service records I would recommend the following:
1. Well obviously engine oil
2. Transmission drain and fill. (check the color first...if it's brown / black then if may need multiple drain and fills).
3. Coolant flush
4. Check power steering fluid and if it is also brown / black then it would be good to get it changed.
5. If your brake fluid is not clear then it wouldn't hurt to get that changed as well.
6. Spark plugs

thanks I will keep reading through the forums and continue the maintenance. I this is alll new to me lol, I do have all ther service records from the previous owner. Luckily he has been the owner since 2006 before that the vehicle use to be a leasing vehicle for a Lexus dealer.
Old 01-13-18, 01:26 PM
ToriGs300
Driver School Candidate

This is the color of my transmission fluid. A slight pink tink to it. So i will do a drain and fill. No flush.
Old 01-13-18, 01:29 PM
ToriGs300
Driver School Candidate

Also my power steering fluid is a hazel brown. Is that the color it should be? My break fluids were clear with a slight tint of brown to them and my coolant was fine of course my oil looked fine as well.
Old 01-13-18, 01:38 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Do u know how to check brake pads?
PS fluid is tranny fluid.
Brake fluid is 100% colorless.
U might need more than one d&r on the tranny.
Old 01-13-18, 05:18 PM
ToriGs300
Driver School Candidate

Do u know how to check brake pads?
PS fluid is tranny fluid.
Brake fluid is 100% colorless.
U might need more than one d&r on the tranny.

No not that well, when I looked at them they still had about 60% of pad left in the front. The rear brakes are squeaking and it feels like the caliper maybe sticking the few times I've had to hard fast brake.

What is d&r for the transmission?
Old 01-13-18, 05:23 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Drain and refill the transmission fluid.
You seem to know a lot about this stuff. Maybe you don't need a mechanic to do the things we have posted. Tons of YouTube videos that'll show you.
Old 01-13-18, 11:01 PM
ToriGs300
Driver School Candidate

Drain and refill the transmission fluid.
You seem to know a lot about this stuff. Maybe you don't need a mechanic to do the things we have posted. Tons of YouTube videos that'll show you.
thank you I try to do a lot of reading so I won't get screwed over again. I wish I could but unfortunately I messed my back, shoulder and neck up. So all I can do is watch . .for now. Yes the youtube videos are helpful at least when I get better I'll know how to do it myself. This forum for Lexus is the best place for information.