GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Issues with cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-15, 10:39 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Issues with cooling system

Hello, I think I may have some coolant system issues.

About 5 weeks ago while driving my original radiator cracked at the top by the cap area. Could it be excessive pressure in rad that cracked it or just old age?

Anyway, I replaced it with a new Denso rad and new 1.1 cap.

I only drive the car on weekends and haven't driven it for a few weekends in a row. Friday I was off and was going to drive it but noticed that after 10-15 min of idling in my driveway that steam of some sort was coming from my rad cap; at this time I also noticed that my fans never came on. The car reached operating temp per the gauge though. I didn't drive it fearing the cap would blow off; seemed like there was a lot of pressure in system or something.

Upper hose got hot but lower hose stayed cold but very firm; almost a little bloated.

Heat in car worked and blows very hot. I looked at the car again yesterday and noticed that coolant reservoir was almost empty.

Today, when engine off and cold I filled reservoir to halfway mark. I opened the rad cap and it was filled to the brim. I was thinking maybe air was in my system so I left the rad cap off and I thought the coolant level in rad would get sucked down a bit but instead it rose and started flowing out. I turned car off and replaced cap. Fans only appeared to come on (and much slower) only when I turn AC compressor on.

There are no visible coolant leaks either, not sure if it just needs to be bled, bad thermostat, bad ECT sensor, bad water pump or bad HG. Car exhaust is a bit white but really only upon start up. Does not have a sweet smell to it either. Also, checked engine oil and still nice and purple and normal level (use royal purple). Coolant still reddish pink.

Any ideas. I'm bringing to shop on Tuesday but wanted to ask you guys to weigh in. Thanks

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 12-13-15 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-13-15, 12:15 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 226 Posts

I still think you have air trapped in the system. With the engine COMPLETELY cold take the cap off. Start the engine and fill it while its running. Also turn on the heater. Just keep and eye on your temp gauge
Old 12-13-15, 12:25 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexo98
I still think you have air trapped in the system. With the engine COMPLETELY cold take the cap off. Start the engine and fill it while its running. Also turn on the heater. Just keep and eye on your temp gauge
I think you're right. I did that for a bit too for safe measure.
Old 12-13-15, 12:29 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

May be a false alarm or a slight burping did the trick.

The "steam" from the cap that I was noticing must have been from coolant drippings under the cap from opening the other day. Washed down with very low pressure water; now no steam from cap.

I let car idle for 15 min. I noticed that temp gauge was in the middle but my scanner showed 185 degrees. Fans weren't turning on and lower hose was still cold. But, as temp rose per my scanner I guess the thermostat then opened and fans started kicking on and off; lower hose got warm. 👍. Heat and A/C work fine too.

I guess I'm good to go. I'll still keep an eye on the coolant system though. It's a relatively high mileage car (133k) that has recently been supercharged. HG issues make me nervous and paranoid. Lololol