GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Burn smell after driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-03, 01:47 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Burn smell after driving

I have noticed this in the last few weeks. As soon as I get in the garage and get out of the door, I can smell this burning odor coming from under the car...it smells like you did a tire burnout. I can smell this even if the car was not driven hard on approach to my house.

I haven't done anything on the car for a long time. Any ideas?

Last edited by whitels; 03-08-03 at 01:48 AM.
Old 03-08-03, 10:39 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

did u recently change your oil and spilled some of it? could be burnt oil smell.
Old 03-08-03, 11:41 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

No, I haven't changed oil for at least 3 months. The burning smell was noticed about 3 weeks ago and getting progressively stronger. Thanks.
Old 03-08-03, 12:47 PM
RAristo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the problem too but so far I couldn't locate its source. If your car is soon to be serviced, ask the dealer to take a look. That's what I will do.
Old 03-08-03, 01:53 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Me 2 I have had 2 GS's and they both have done it! I wonder what it is>? I think a lot of people have the same complaint! It happens ussally after it rains so maybe water has something to do with it!
Old 03-08-03, 03:29 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Friction ---> Heat ---> Burning

1.) Check all your fluid levels. "Under the car....." Check your tranny fluid first.

2.) Then maybe do a walk around after a short trip, and see if it comes from any of the brakes in particular; perhaps one is sticking.

3.) Double check the clearances on all your tires to make sure nothing is rubbing. Don't I remember you having an LTuned install sometime within the last few months?

4.) If none of these discovers the problem, make a service appt.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-08-03, 05:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally posted by whitels
As soon as I get in the garage and get out of the door, I can smell this burning odor coming from under the car... Any ideas?
Do (did) you have cats?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-08-03 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-08-03, 06:27 PM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

Default Re: Burn smell after driving

Originally posted by whitels
I have noticed this in the last few weeks. As soon as I get in the garage and get out of the door, I can smell this burning odor coming from under the car...it smells like you did a tire burnout. I can smell this even if the car was not driven hard on approach to my house.

I haven't done anything on the car for a long time. Any ideas?
Funny . . . I noticed in the past several weeks that after a 'hard drive' (eg. 75 MPH+ for a sustained period) that I too smell the scent of rubber. I can only attribute it to my tire's softer compound (Michelin Pilot Sport).

I could be wrong but I think that's where my rubber odor comes from.

What kind of tires are you running?

Old 03-08-03, 09:16 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I to have noticed this burning smell but only after I had been driving with the PWR ECT button on and usually driving hard. I have come to believe that the smell we are smelling (or atleast I smell) is metal. When metal heats up and gets really hot it omits this burning smell.

Do me a favor guys and check you headers. See if the color of your headers are blue. If so then I know it's not just my car. See headers should never be blue. Metal should never turn blue period. It means it has gotten to hot. I am wondering if our cars get to hot and the thermostat doesn't register it. I also thought about the brakes. You know brakes get really hot and maybe stock GS pads can't handle or atleast doesn't handle hard driving well. Another possibility and the one we should all fear and pray to God it's not it is the trans. I are transmissions (more so the gears) could be burning. I really doubt it but still can't rule it out.

All in all I think it has something to do with exhaust. Headers, downpipe, etc...

If any body finds anything out start a whole new thread if this one becomes to old. This is a really important problem expecially since there isn't just a single individual that has incountered this problem.

P.S. check your headers and see if there is a blueish color to them. You can tell because it looks like shark skin steelish/gray/blue.
Old 03-08-03, 09:43 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

I notice the same thing after spirited driving. For me, it smells like it comes from the brakes or the tires.
Old 03-08-03, 10:43 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Based on possible areas that need to be checked as suggested by members, the following are true or untrue in my situation:

1. purebliss- "oil change leakage" - have not done it for a while: therefore not possible source of smell
2. GSquicksilver-"happens when it rains" - it rained here in LA area hard for a week or so in the last 3 weeks: possible reason.
3. Dex- "fluid levels"- no drips under but will check all fluid levels: possible source
"sticking brake"- I know brake smell as opposed to rubber smell but doesn't mean that it's always the case: therefore possible
"tire clearances after suspension install"- Yes, had Bilstein/Eibach put in- therefore possible. To eliminate this, do we have guys here running "virgin" OEM suspension that have this burning smell?
4. DaveGS- "cats" - none: not possible
5. MrGS400- "hard drive 75+mph": yes I do it everytime on the freeway, but from the fwy to the house-- I take it easy to cool it down, but I still smell it. Before, I drive it hard all the way to the house and that burning smell really comes stronger. I have Dunlop SP Sport 5000 WR rated. I smelled every tire but source was not there. Felt each and every caliper housing and they all felt hot evenly--not one that is like a sore thumb. Driving hard is a possible source, but exactly where it's coming from..that's the mystery.
6. APLUS- "super hot metal can emit this smell"- it may be the resonator because the smell seems to come from under the middle of the car. I will go under and see if there's a foreign material stucked in there and being burned by the resonator: possible source

Thanks for all the leads. Will continue to check based on those leads and report back.
Old 03-09-03, 01:35 AM
fisher_price
Rookie

...I second the tire clearance theory: I've smelled something burning a couple of times after 100 mph runs and had Bilstein / Eibach installed a few months ago. I never noticed the smell before the suspension upgrade. I haven't noticed any rubbing sounds or marks on the tires, however...
Old 03-09-03, 03:30 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Rubber burning and hot meatl emit a totaly different smell. One can tell the difference. Brakes are easy to spot if their the problem due to the fact they will have a slight smoke coming from them. I don't think it would be the rain because you think you would see steam (just a little) pass by your headlights when you park. Stem rises and the easiest place for it to escape would be the hood. If your headlights are on and you stare close you will see slight smoke go by them.
Old 03-09-03, 11:55 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by fisher_price
...I second the tire clearance theory: I've smelled something burning a couple of times after 100 mph runs and had Bilstein / Eibach installed a few months ago. I never noticed the smell before the suspension upgrade. I haven't noticed any rubbing sounds or marks on the tires, however...
I think we are on to something here. It's not only me. There's more guys having this same observation than I ever thought. Don't we have a Lexus mechanic on the forum? We need to have a retained Lexus mechanic on board. Put it on a premium membership only forum so it will pay for itself
Old 03-10-03, 11:12 AM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

I too get the burning smell after driving. I don't think my tires are rubbing. I always thought it might be the brakes. The smell is similar to when you ride your clutch for a long period of time and you get that smell.
The following users liked this post:
DriftzZ2JZ (04-02-20)

Quick Reply: Burn smell after driving