GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Dim DASH at Night

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-02, 11:14 PM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Dim DASH at Night

Just wondering while in the car tonight. Has any one noticed that the DASH when it lights up at night looks kinda dim to ya? I just turn up the **** from dark to brighter but, It doesn't seem to get really bright.I have noticed this many times before & just thought it might just be me.Has any one else noticed this? My previous 02 GS4 had this problem too. hhmmmm. It alomost has the look that it should be just a tad brighter.

Paul

Maybe I'm gettin old & my eyes are starting to get bad
Old 12-30-02, 11:53 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yah, mine sometimes looks like that. but i think it's because i've been staring at something brighter than the dash lights before i stepped in the car. maybe that's why the dash lights look a bit dim. but after a while, it looks perfectly normal.
Old 12-31-02, 12:03 AM
JeromeBaker
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I totally notice that. But like someone said in an earlier reply, after a while, you don't notice it... and it's never hard to see by any means.
Old 12-31-02, 12:46 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Question

Nah never difficult to see at all. Just seems dim sometimes. I have driven hours in the car & my eyes never get tired from it. Just seems dim sometimes.

Paul
Old 12-31-02, 12:51 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

The lights in the dash I think they get DIM and brighter depending on how much light is around, I notice it all the time as im driving in the day time then I enter these dark underpasses they DIM right away.

ShOwGS
Old 12-31-02, 02:44 AM
koreanguy8302
Rookie

yea i noticed that tonight also. I tried to adjust my brightness but it was already at max. i'm not sure if its getting dim or i was looking at bright lights
Old 12-31-02, 08:44 AM
ClaudiG
Driver

I have the same problem. My 99 GS4 has been doing the same thing for the past few months. About 3 weeks ago I had my windows tinted and they had all 4 doors open for a while. When they tried to turn the window down the battery was almost dead. He said to me that he had to recharge the battery and asked if I noticed my lights going dim. He said I should have my alternator looked at. HOWEVER, I never have a problem starting the car at all. It never sounds weird or anything of the sort.
Now that you guys say you have the same problem with the dash I'm wondering if in fact it's just one of those things that happens with Lexus'.

In fact I noticed that last night I actually watched as the dash (just the 3 circles in front of the steering wheel, not the NAV, etc) got dimmer. I was concerned that maybe there was a short or something of that nature. I never had my mechanic look at the alternator, at least not yet.

I'm glad to hear that it's not just my car!
Old 12-31-02, 10:32 AM
dk99
Driver School Candidate

Default dash lights

Guys,
All the GS's has auto-dimming feature that you cannot override with thermostat. It is an annoying feature because I like bright dash light (I used to have 1990LS400-beutiful dash board cluster). Take look on GS dashboard where it meets windshield; it has two censors (in each corner) that regulate the dash lights depending on outside lights. Point the flashlight directly into the censor and you will see the dash light change to a brighter setting. Check with your dealer may be for the later models GS (2001 and up) it could be adjusted in “C-best setting”.

Dmitry
Old 12-31-02, 01:07 PM
ThemisN
Pole Position

I'm not necesarily a fan of BRIGHT dash lights, but I'l chime in...I used to notice this problem..and in fact, the speedometer seemed dimmer than the others. I, however, since then, have it set lower, I'm used to that now...so in some rare instance I dont feel its enough I still have the leeway to increase the brightness. Plus im more comfortable that my car is more DL than to have some guy around me lookingat this white light coming from my guages.
Old 12-31-02, 02:39 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

what I'm wondering is why this is being called a "problem"? As dk99 said, this is an auto feature. There have been times when I'm heading into a tunnel and actually have watched the dash swithc over to "dim". It happens very quickly, usually with in 20 seconds after I enter a dark tunnel. Anyone else ever actually "see" this happen?
Old 12-31-02, 03:12 PM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Yes..ive seen tat happen...and it happens quicker than 20 seconds..more like less than 2 seconds....but what is being discussed here is prolonged, permanent dim lighting...
Old 12-31-02, 03:12 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

I've noticed that even when they're turned all the way up they still seem a little dim.
Old 12-31-02, 04:29 PM
dk99
Driver School Candidate

Default dim light

In the day time GS has the britest dash light,
In the night time GS has dim dash light and you can not override this. This set up by Lexus!
Old 12-31-02, 04:31 PM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Sorry guys. It's not a problem just alittle dim thats all.

Paul
Old 12-31-02, 05:11 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

The intensity of illumination of the instrumentation does decrease at night (I also notice it decreases when I pull into the garage) for very good reason.

With dimmer illumination, it takes your eyes less time to adjust from the darkness of the road ahead to the instruments in the cockpit and vice versa, allowing your eyes to more quickly and easily adjust from looking at the instuments to looking at the dark road ahead.

This is a good thing, and I like a bright dash as much as anybody, but I also appreciate the dimmer settings in lower light levels.

Quick Reply: Dim DASH at Night