GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-12, 08:07 PM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

damn, im having the same problems

last time i reset the ecu, this time it doesnt seem to have fixed the problem.

my windshield is aftermarket.
symptoms:
- key remote door unlock does not work
- interior driver window switch does not work on all 4 windows
- interior door lock switch not working
- foot well lighting not working
- interior dome light trigger not working
- climate control not blowing no matter what speed
- climate control now displaying in celcius
- instrument cluster stuck on brightest setting
- parking brake indicator on
- low gas indicator flashing
- gear selector not showing

must be body control module... hopefully drying out from the rain will help. using some heat lamps, but when poking around, i dont feel or smell any moisture in the BCM areas of the kick panels
Old 01-25-12, 09:13 PM
step2me
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had the same problems i took damn near everything apart and after about 2 hours of poking around everything just started working and the night before we had some crazy rain so i thought maybe something got wet and after reading this i think i seen a drip or two of water on my driver side a pillow
Old 01-25-12, 10:48 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My windows work. I changed both body control modules and that did not fix the problem (I got both body control modules if you are interested)bthe thing that fixed it was the ECM the one behind left (drivers side) headlight. Pull your efi fuse and see if your blower fan starts working. Also read the tsb I posted and see if your vin matches and look at the part number your ECM is I also have the non nav heater control if you are interested.
Old 01-26-12, 05:52 AM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

i have an 01 gs430, so i wouldnt qualify for the service bulletin
Old 01-26-12, 07:27 AM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

worked on the car this morning, no blown fuses, however my climate control is working again, and in F.

door switch still not working, no airbag warning light, and did not see any fuel low warning, at the moment.

will continue to let the car dry out in the garage for a few days, and see what happens.
Old 06-26-15, 10:04 AM
lgree
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blower motor not working

Originally Posted by sam12345
Well good news! It was the ECM. Absolutely everything works. One weird thing, I seem to have lost a tiny bit of power. Before changing the ECM my zero to 60 was between 5.8 to 6.2 seconds (I'm at 3800 feet altitude) I just checked my 0 to 60 and it was 6.8 seconds. I suspect my old ECM might be modified (maybe a performance chip?) which might have been the source of the failure. Of course it could be the test conditions but the seat of the pants seems less
Power also.
hello i am having some of the issues like you had and wanted to see if you can help me. my blower motor is not working and my doors wont lock . I saw where you changed the ecm but i dont know what you are referring to and where to ind it. please help. my email address is lsegree@gmail.com.
Old 03-17-16, 10:39 AM
aeromech
Driver School Candidate

Reviving an old thread....

Just to be clear because it seems these cars have multiple computers and I am a newb with the same issues. Where is this ecm/ecu that you speak of? I have a 1999 GS400 and all the same things are happening except my blower motor works and my gage cluster issues "went away" for the time being. If it's a parts change that will get everything else to work properly... I want to do it.

Thanks for your help
Old 03-17-16, 11:00 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by aeromech
Reviving an old thread....

Just to be clear because it seems these cars have multiple computers and I am a newb with the same issues. Where is this ecm/ecu that you speak of? I have a 1999 GS400 and all the same things are happening except my blower motor works and my gage cluster issues "went away" for the time being. If it's a parts change that will get everything else to work properly... I want to do it.

Thanks for your help
under the hood but i think you will have to get new keys if you change the ECU or get it reflashed
Old 03-17-16, 12:50 PM
aeromech
Driver School Candidate

I guess that would work for my other problem of only having a valet key... Haha

Thanks for the reply, I wanted to make sure it was the same ecm/ecu.

So in effect, I could find one with a pair of blank keys and just get the keys cut by a locksmith then. Or go the dealer route and get them to do it all for $$$.
Old 03-19-16, 09:33 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Make sure the ecu you buy comes with the master key I would borrow an ecu first to make sure that is your problem
Old 03-21-16, 01:13 PM
aeromech
Driver School Candidate

Today I stopped and got gas, filled up, got in the car, started up and the check engine light, VCT, and VCT OFF lights were constantly on. Then my gauge cluster was all crazy coolant temp was inop, gear indicator was inop. Car drives fine, 50 miles on the highway after that and just fine but with these cluster problems erratically happening back and forth inop and working.

I get to my destination and disconnect the battery for a while. I decided to see what this thing (ECU) looks like. There was corrosion on the body of the ECU on the connector end (basic surface corrosion on aluminum). The connectors looked good, no gunk or corrosion. The bottom end had a bit of corrosion too as if it were in a humid environment too long, but not as bad as the other end.

Now, mine is a DENSO p/n 89661-3A542. I did a search and could not find one with master keys. Found some re-manufactured units, some used, most with a warranty but no master keys. Are any others cross compatible with this ECU?

This car is driving me nuts.
Old 03-27-16, 07:07 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

It's possible to make a key a master key if you get the right locksmith bit make sure.you talk to one and know that he can do it before you buy your ecu. I would still recommend you swap the ecu with someone to verify that is the issue before spending the money. Maybe someone on this forum is near you and willing to help. If you temporarily swap ecu you will need to put his or her fob near your ignition switch to start the car. By the way it's the fob that you need with the ecu not the key. If you get the master fob you simply swap it with the fob in your current key and you are good to go. Also once you have the master fob you can add more fobs/keys to your car.
Old 03-27-16, 07:18 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Lexus Engine ECU ECM Reflash Lost Key Replacement Service Programming Keys Does not apply | eBay http://m.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-engine-E...-/181845289671