GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

vsc abs craziness help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-11, 08:45 PM
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default vsc abs craziness help please

ok i have a 98 gs300. i had the dreaded vsc vscoff abs lights come on. so i start the trouble shooting. first i get the codes read. easy right. wrong.... i iget the code for the wheel sinsors. so i go into fixing the problem. great. not so much. I have fix the wheel sensors. turn on the car. lights go off for a day. then come back on. so I then check them again and they r fine. same code. they test out great. 1.7 ohms. put them back in. start the car. no codes. awesome... next day same lights same code. checked the bearings they wear alittle worn. so i put in the bearings and seals. problem fixed. until i start the car and drive off. lights come on then car goes into limp mode. crazy.. i pull the codes and get the throttle codes a tps code some random misfire codes and the bank 1 code. I have changes the ocv and all the other little stuff. now i have to find this problem. i seems like everything has gone bad at one time. does anybody have any ideas what else to look into. or a good wiring diagram for whatever controls the vsc abs system. the sciatics would be awesome if anybody has those. or am i just missing some component. ive had it with this car. help me please.........thanx
Old 07-30-11, 08:33 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Don't have a wiring diagram, but there are like 60 wires going to it.

Here is a pic of the abs/vsc/trc controller, it is under the steering column by your left knee.

Toyota Part number: 89540-30390

Old 07-30-11, 12:38 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its sensor related but a matter of knwoing which sensor. This can be a headache fix sometimes. Sensors are tough
Old 07-30-11, 05:43 PM
Rookie

Is there a way to test these sensors? I've found the tps sensor test. and the wheel sensor test. Is there a way to test the throttle control motor or the computer. I've also been told it could be the yaw rate sensor. If any body has some type of test for all the sensors that would be great. Are there any other sensors in this systum that i might be missing..
thanks for the help...
OK i reset the computer. the lights are now off. I start to drive the car the skid light comes on and the vsc starts working then goes into limp mode. No lights come on just the one that shows the car sliding. I can turn off the vsc with the vsc off button and car works like normal. On a side note the brakes seem to be acting up with this stuff going on. the brakes will work just fine until about half way down. Then they seem to let go for a second then the abs will kick in and the pedal jumps back and forth for a second. when this is happening there is no brakeing going on. Then the brakes kick in like they never had a problem.
some how i think this is all related. but how and where do u start. I can drive far enough to get new codes because of the brakes. if i drive with the vsc on i cant go anyplace because of the limp mode. this is driving me crazy. please help.....

Last edited by 1980; 07-30-11 at 07:57 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-01-11, 06:15 PM
Rookie

Can anybody tell me all the sensors that go to the abs and the vsc. i'd also like a wiring schamatic or the reading for the sensors. I have the tps and wheel speed sensors. Please help.....
Old 08-01-11, 09:33 PM
DreallDay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Def cant tell you all the sensors but I would focus on abs because if abs isnt woeking right neither will vsc but without vsc abs should work fine.... If your having brake issues as well as vsc issues I would switch form vsc sensors to abs sensors..... Just a thought
Old 11-11-11, 08:20 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by 1980
Is there a way to test these sensors? I've found the tps sensor test. and the wheel sensor test. Is there a way to test the throttle control motor or the computer. I've also been told it could be the yaw rate sensor. If any body has some type of test for all the sensors that would be great. Are there any other sensors in this systum that i might be missing..
thanks for the help...
OK i reset the computer. the lights are now off. I start to drive the car the skid light comes on and the vsc starts working then goes into limp mode. No lights come on just the one that shows the car sliding. I can turn off the vsc with the vsc off button and car works like normal. On a side note the brakes seem to be acting up with this stuff going on. the brakes will work just fine until about half way down. Then they seem to let go for a second then the abs will kick in and the pedal jumps back and forth for a second. when this is happening there is no brakeing going on. Then the brakes kick in like they never had a problem.
some how i think this is all related. but how and where do u start. I can drive far enough to get new codes because of the brakes. if i drive with the vsc on i cant go anyplace because of the limp mode. this is driving me crazy. please help.....

ugghhh i got this same issue going on... mine started last friday after going through a car wash... i turned the vsc off and it was fine driving but when it was on i had weird sounds coming from the brakes and the car felt a lil rough accelerating from a complete stop. I kept the vsc off and when i got off work all was fine. Today after a day of rain ... leaving work all three lights lit up from vsc over to the right. I pushed the vsc button since this worked last time... but this time they all stayed on. The only thing different that I did last Friday was get a brand new Die Hard just before my car wash. I doubt that has anything to do with it... but from reading a few threads i'm thinking ABS Sensor or Alternator... maybe the speedsensor... but more so the ABS since i have the weird noise from complete stops to acceleration. We shall see...
Old 11-12-11, 08:22 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

unplugged battery for a few minutes... no lights on all day... we'll see what happens
Old 02-23-12, 06:35 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you ever get this fixed?
Old 02-23-12, 07:58 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Curious about this too.
Old 02-23-12, 08:47 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

I dunno about op but my issue just went away oddly enough so did my recent issue with the driver window not working right... No issues on either now