GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Use Shell Gasoline!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-11, 03:03 PM
gdot
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always used Chevron, but I might try using Shell for a while. The Shell station is a little more convenient for me to get to anyway.
Old 05-27-11, 03:14 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by busdepot
I use Shell (Premium 91) because they give airmiles in Canada. Nitrogen enriched fuels aren't good for the engine as you're A) getting less fuel, B) the nitrogen is actually a deterent of combustion as it isn't part of the chemical reaction within your engine. Nitrogen is also used as a key component of fire suppressant systems on oil rigs. The nitrogen is supposed act as a detergent, but I would be skeptical of its actual effectiveness. But I like to travel so I'll keep using it because I want the points. For the other Canadians, Husky has the 94 octane which is actually a superior fuel, which I use for road trips or highway mileage.

As for mileage claims, driving behaviours changed at all? In theory, your mileage should degrade using the nitrogen enriched fuels.
sigh, it's not actually Nitrogen, that's just a advertising campaign to set a slogan with a common term that people can relate to. Perhaps they are also playing on the notion that Nitrogen tire inflation as something superior for automotives.

If you watch "Mad Men" it's similar to the scene where they come up with the slogan "It's Toasted" for Lucky strikes cigarettes, even though all tobacco from any cigarette company is toasted.

The actual additive is probably the same or in the same class as Polyetheramine (PEA) which is the main active ingredient in Chevron's Techron, as well as some other well-respected fuel injector cleaner additives (gumout/redline/amsoil):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techron

For those that know your chemistry nomenclature, "Amines" are the term for nitrogen based compounds, so that's the scientific basis where your "Nitrogen-enriched" gunk fighting detergent additive comes from.

But pretty much all "TopTier" stations will have some kind of detergent additives that are "nitrogen" based.

Nitrogen can be in a ton of things, just like carbon and oxygen. It maybe more than obvious, but molecules are drastically different even with a slight change in the molecular formula.
Nitrogen is commonly known for being explosives/fertilizer(Ammonia Nitrate), air (N2), smog(NOX/NO2), household cleaners (Windex with Ammonia-D). But despite all being "nitrogen" based, these are completely different things.

Advertising takes great liberties with the science, this is one of those cases.

I guess we can say by the same token Water is HydroOxygen powered or now with extra DHMO (dihydrogen monoxide).

Last edited by raytseng; 05-27-11 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-27-11, 03:41 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

I actually just got back from filling up with Shell.
Old 05-27-11, 03:43 PM
wuzzy
Driver

I always use Shell 93. Hella expensive but idc.
Old 05-27-11, 04:40 PM
tinman
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too like shell. Been using their VPower for years. The nitrogen they are talking about is not the same as in a fire suppression system, as the previous poster claimed (the nitrogen there is used to extinguish fires by oxygen depletion). The nitrogen they are talking about is a compound used in many fuel system cleaners. Shell has been making fuels that exceed top-tier requirements for a long time. However, the change in MPG probably has to do with their switching from winter-blend gasoline to their summer-blend. It has a slightly higher BTU than the winter blend, which has a lower BTU because it is oxygenated to a greater extent which aids in emissions under some cold-weather circumstances(I think. It have have to do with evaporation too). This has been mandated by the EPA for quite some time now and lasts until around Memorial Day (which is next week). It's pretty common to see a small jump in MPG coming out of Winter. Additionally, if you track your MPG going into Winter, you'll see a corresponding decrease in MPG all of the sudden when you fill up.

Last edited by tinman; 05-27-11 at 04:56 PM. Reason: I have fat fingers.
Old 05-27-11, 04:42 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Another Shell user here as well.. always use the 93... don't mind paying the $$$ for the better gas..

Funny how the GS4 with the V8 and Gs300 get about the same mileage... There's a whole thread on that but you get my point..
Old 05-27-11, 04:46 PM
mtofique
Driver School Candidate

also have a gs400. I have been using shell gas for about a year and a half. Car runs flawlessly. I get 8.6l/100km(27mpg) with cruise control. 80% highway 20% city.
Old 05-27-11, 05:51 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blaknight
I would dare anyone to find a 13 year vehicle with a V8 that gets mileage comparable to a GS400!
C5 Corvette's get suprisingly great gas mileage if you drive them like a normal car, i'd say you would have no problems getting mid to high 20's out of one with a 6 speed..

honestly i'd rather be driving the GS4 though lol..
Old 05-27-11, 06:21 PM
maxXx430
Driver

+1 for shell. if its not around i stick to 76 or chevron. there not much price different here in my area. it depends on location.
Old 05-27-11, 06:24 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I only use Shell or BP. Buy British!
Old 05-27-11, 06:32 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
problem with shell is their gas is like $0.30-$0.40 higher than everyone..........even with the kroger discount they offer
I'm not sure about the $.30-.40 higher, but they certainly are higher than the local Gate station I'm used to filling up at. I may try the shell once or twice though to see if my gas mileage improves. I usually get 21.5mpg.
Old 05-27-11, 08:10 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

That's funny... I only get about 16MPG in the city!
Old 05-27-11, 08:10 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember I used shell on a trip from virginia, and got almost 30 MPG on the highway
Old 05-27-11, 09:11 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Over here in CA, most gasoline has 10% of ethanol. Mobil, Chevron, Shell, Arco and etc has them.
Old 05-27-11, 10:00 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Yea shell is all i use. I can notice a huge difference in mileage compared to when i put in some cheep sheet when i dont have access to shell. Best Gas there is!!

Quick Reply: Use Shell Gasoline!!!