GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

IPod

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-08, 09:32 PM
arpham
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPod

Hey I have a 2002 Gs300 and I have a factory unit with no navigation. I will like to get a hardwired Ipod adapter that shows the text of whats playing ect.

Do you guys recommend company?
Old 06-12-08, 09:41 PM
CBRA928
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.vaistech.com

these guys have what your looking for... i got the one with ipod jack and aux jack and it works great!

i think they are one of the sponsers here on CL, i seen their ad on here all the time
Old 06-12-08, 09:44 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

VAIStech no doubt. If I had a 01+ I'd definitely would have purchased that already.
Old 06-12-08, 09:57 PM
arpham
Lead Lap

that Vais looks good but I believe it doesn't show the text of the song on my 2002 Gs300
Old 06-12-08, 10:08 PM
arpham
Lead Lap

that Vais looks good but I believe it doesn't show the text of the song on my 2002 Gs300
Old 06-12-08, 11:54 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

I have the ViasTech unit. You are correct; unfortunately the 2GS does not support text display of the songs. It's not too bad if you have a good idea of which playlists you have. You'll have to find your playlists by their number, which are organized alphabetically. However, you can also put the unit in "simple mode" to browse/play songs directly by controlling the iPod unit itself.

That being said, the sound quality is great and I enjoy the unit very much.
Old 03-31-09, 09:24 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I am looking for an ipod interface for my '01 GS430, and am torn between the VAIStech SLI and the Grom. Given that the VAIS will not display song titles on the '01, is there any advantage to it over the Grom, to justify the 2-3X price difference?
Old 05-15-09, 05:19 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lyonkster
I am looking for an ipod interface for my '01 GS430, and am torn between the VAIStech SLI and the Grom. Given that the VAIS will not display song titles on the '01, is there any advantage to it over the Grom, to justify the 2-3X price difference?
I was wondering the same thing...bump.
Old 05-15-09, 06:20 AM
ceelo
Pole Position

My wife ordered me the GROM unit for my birthday, it should be here shortly and I'll post up my experience. The only reason I went with the GROM over the VAIS is the price. While I know that the VAIS is a super unit ( I have friends with it) I didn't want to drop that kind of money for an adapter.

I have an 01 GS430 and with a 10 year old crappy factory system, I'm not going to tell the difference anyway.
Old 05-15-09, 07:28 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ceelo
My wife ordered me the GROM unit for my birthday, it should be here shortly and I'll post up my experience. The only reason I went with the GROM over the VAIS is the price. While I know that the VAIS is a super unit ( I have friends with it) I didn't want to drop that kind of money for an adapter.

I have an 01 GS430 and with a 10 year old crappy factory system, I'm not going to tell the difference anyway.
lol...I was thinking the same thing. I just ordered mine this morning, so I'll post up as well.
Old 05-15-09, 07:44 AM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

What is the Grom price vs say the DICE unit (also a CL sponsor)??

I'm sure this will get moved to the Audio forum shortly...

Interested to see your results since I'm in the same boat with no real other options...(I just tried the new monster 800 wireless fm transmitter unit and I think it's only good if you live in the freaking boonies with only 2 available FM stations)
Old 05-23-09, 11:20 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

I just got the Grom unit in. Sound quality is very good. Product was easy to install. I pulled out the center console and screen, hooked it in. The unit box fits perfectly right in front of the gear box under the center console. I ran the cable under the center console. I don't use the 12 volt plug inside the center console so I popped it out and fished the cable through there. It was a very clean, painless installation. I'll post pictures shortly. For the price vs the other units, you can't go wrong.
Old 05-23-09, 04:46 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

did it display text on your navi unit man
Old 05-23-09, 10:12 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

My navi is a Gen 2...I think it does on the later ones. It doesn't matter to me, because if you select an album on your ipod, you can press next song and it changes song like a cd. If you set up playlists on there, the car sees them as cds and you can skip through the songs on there and vice versa. It's pretty sweet. I wish we could get text though Chris.
Old 06-01-09, 01:46 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippaflow
I just got the Grom unit in. Sound quality is very good. Product was easy to install. I pulled out the center console and screen, hooked it in. The unit box fits perfectly right in front of the gear box under the center console. I ran the cable under the center console. I don't use the 12 volt plug inside the center console so I popped it out and fished the cable through there. It was a very clean, painless installation. I'll post pictures shortly. For the price vs the other units, you can't go wrong.
Awesome, sounds like a good choice. I'll order mine today! Would you post some pics please, to make it easier for the rest of us?

Quick Reply: IPod