GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

tinting windows

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-01, 01:39 PM
TMitchell
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I had posted earlier about having the tint shop show me a piece of paper that said it was not recommended to tint the windows on a newer Lexus, because of some baked on stuff for UV protection on the exterior of the windows. I called the dealer and they didn,t know of any problem. I sent an e-mail to Lexus and this is their response. Are there any comments on this? I have an appointment in the morning to have the windows tinted. I do not have NAV. Has any one had any other problems?

Dear Mr. Thomas:

Thank you for contacting the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department. I apologize for your concerns with tinting the windows of your 2001 GS 430. Lexus does not recommend tinting the windows of your vehicle since the metallics substance can affect the operation of the Navigation System, audio system, and remote entry. There is an oxide coating baked on the windows at the factory, which provides ultra-violet and infrared protection.
Old 08-31-01, 02:06 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What he is saying is:

1) The metallic tint will block out the NAV and radio receptions as well as the remote, and

2) The windows on Lexus vehicles have oxide coating baked on them, which provides ultra-violet and infrared protection. So you don't need to tint.

I think:

1) Yes if the tint has metallic stuff (titanium tint and quantum tint for example) then the NAV reception will be lowered (personal experience) but that can be cured with an aftermarket (Clarion) NAV antenna.

As for radio and remote reception, they work perfect with my titanium tint.

2) Yes the green tinted glass might help alittle, but they don't block out sun light, they don't protect IR and UV as good as tint, and they dont' provide privacy.

hope this helps.
Old 08-31-01, 02:54 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

TMitchell,

I called my guy who has tinted my cars for 15 years now and he said there is no problem tinting the 2001 Lexus cars that have this new Oxide baked coating.. The coating is within the glass itself so there is no issue with putting tint on.. Since you don't have NAV in your car there is no issue with using Metallic tint.. Even if you had a NAV system like Globe said you can use the aftermarket antenna upgrade from Clarion to boost reception to the Nav computer..

Like Globe mentioned there is no problem with Remote or Radio reception with tinted cars..

My recommendation is to go with a Quantum metallic tint.. I went with a 37% on the side windows and one shade darker on the rear window.. If you like I can post some pictures up so you can see how it looks before you get your car tinted..

Hope that helps!
Old 08-31-01, 03:27 PM
TMitchell
Driver

Thanks for the replies I'll go ahead and have the tint put on in the morning. We have had quite a few days in the 100+ range here. The inside of the car gets extremely hot, it may be protected from UV rays but not from heat as you said.
2SAVVY... I have seen your tint job on the forum, it looked excellent. I had asked you about the colgan bra, but decided to have the stone guard film put on next weekend.
Old 08-31-01, 03:39 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup I remember now.. The stoneguard film is the best way to go.. Like I mentioned before the bra is good for me since I don't feel like repainting the front end of the GS at this moment.. When I get around to repainting the bumper and hood I will be buying that 3M clear film from Xpel like what you are doing..

If you can post some close up pics of the stoneguard so we all can see what it looks like on the car.. Thanks!

BTW the Black Cherry GS is so HOT looking.. Saw one on the road today.. Great choice!
Old 08-31-01, 05:49 PM
TMitchell
Driver

Originally posted by 2SAVVY
Yup I remember now.. The stoneguard film is the best way to go.. Like I mentioned before the bra is good for me since I don't feel like repainting the front end of the GS at this moment.. When I get around to repainting the bumper and hood I will be buying that 3M clear film from Xpel like what you are doing..

If you can post some close up pics of the stoneguard so we all can see what it looks like on the car.. Thanks!

BTW the Black Cherry GS is so HOT looking.. Saw one on the road today.. Great choice!

There is a post on the RX300 forum " Invinca-Sheild/Strongard dated 8-24 where RXKen has several pictures of a BMW coupe with the film on. It is about a six hour round trip for me, but as the expression goes, I don't mind going the extra mile for a quality job.
Old 09-05-01, 09:51 AM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

Guys I have a 99 GS4 with Navigation system ,,, I have right now a Metallice Tint ,, you know those mirror ones ,,, and ok my Nav is messed up but I dont really use it at all ,,,

Secound I am starting my own tint shop it opens this week with all supplies and stuff so wish me luck

Location Lexington Kentucky send me over some business lol
Old 09-05-01, 03:07 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by BBD
Guys I have a 99 GS4 with Navigation system ,,, I have right now a Metallice Tint ,, you know those mirror ones ,,, and ok my Nav is messed up but I dont really use it at all ,,,

Secound I am starting my own tint shop it opens this week with all supplies and stuff so wish me luck

Location Lexington Kentucky send me over some business lol
BBD, do you have a pic of your mirror tints? I've been wanting to get those and I want to see how it looks on a GS first.
Old 09-05-01, 07:05 PM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

DIESELMAN63

I sure do my friend lemme borrow my friends Digital Camera I will post it asap ... I have pictures but never botherd to scan them, by the end of this week I will post it no probs
Old 09-06-01, 08:20 AM
fever
Lead Lap

Please post 'em if you can. I would also greatly appreciate a shot of your tint.

Originally posted by BBD
DIESELMAN63

I sure do my friend lemme borrow my friends Digital Camera I will post it asap ... I have pictures but never botherd to scan them, by the end of this week I will post it no probs
Old 09-06-01, 03:57 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by BBD
DIESELMAN63

Thanks BBD!