GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Thinking about upgrading wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-01, 10:08 AM
GSman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at upgrading to a staggered setup of 18x8.5 and 18x9.5. Will 18's easily accommodate a brake upgrade down the road? What do you think of these wheel styles? Is chrome too Bling for a silver car? Any comments on quality, weight, fit, messing with centering rings/spacers etc would be appreciated. Sorry about multiple messages, don't know how to post multiple pics in one message.

Attached Images  
Old 08-22-01, 10:09 AM
GSman
Pole Position

Another style

Attached Images  
Old 08-22-01, 10:10 AM
GSman
Pole Position

Another.

Attached Images  
Old 08-22-01, 10:12 AM
GSman
Pole Position

Last one.
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-01, 10:18 AM
ming 2.7T
Driver

SSR makes a fairly strong and lightweight 18" wheel.
I think they call it a GT1 and the GT3. They have the five spoke design. YOu can check out Tirerack at www.tirerack.com and see the styles on your car. Ronal makes a decent 18" wheel and they are usually heavier and very very strong.

Can you briefly explain how to post a pic here?

ALso the first one you posted looks like it would "fit" the car nicely.

Last edited by ming 2.7T; 08-22-01 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-22-01, 10:18 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the first wheel the best.
My personal preference would be non chrome, but that's just me.
For al the other questions I think you could best ask Manaray.
Old 08-22-01, 11:18 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gsman,

they all looked very nice, except for the last one. may be for blk car, chromes just do not stir my soul. if your are on a tight budget, get the first one-vr5.

about the break upgrades, 18s will be fine as long you have the correct offset and the wheel spoke pattern will not hit the big caliper.when you get the wheel, make sure you ask for supra tt offset fittment.

william
Old 08-22-01, 11:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

I like styles 1 & 2 best. Not surprising that I like 2, because it looks identical to my WEDS wheels (FARMAS DP-V11s).

I don't think any wheel guarantees you can do any possible brake upgrade, but certainly asking if a Supra TT brake set will fit is a good thing.
Old 08-22-01, 12:11 PM
GSman
Pole Position

The first and second pics are the Manaray VR5 Quests (1 or 2 piece) versus the Altstadt I (3-piece). How much does it really matter if the wheel is 1,2 or 3 piece? Any difference in weight, strength etc.?

Old 08-22-01, 04:37 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

OK, the first wheel is a 1 piece that tries to look like a 3 piece. As good a brand that Manaray might be, faking the funk isn't cool. The second wheel is a Blitz 3 piece. I think someone has or had them on a black GS, with aftermarket chrome (looks hot, IMHO). The third is the Altstadt I. Nice wheel. Check out www.riverside.co.jp . I personally like the SSR "twisted" wheel. They have a pic of it on a GS on their webpage. As for the difference between 1, 2 and 3 piece wheels, 3 piece wheels are usually a bit heavier, but if you damage it, you can fix only the damaged part, as opposed to the entire wheel. Brake upgrades depend on the size (diameter) and offset of the wheel. Ask Bit about centering rings. No spacers. You're spending loot, get the right wheel. I'm sure the wheel pro's will comment soon to correct my errors.
Old 08-22-01, 06:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally posted by zushwa
The second wheel is a Blitz 3 piece. ... Ask Bit about centering rings.
You sure that second wheel is a Blitz? Someone else said it was another kind also. All I know is it looks IDENTICAL to my WEDS wheel, especially the logo on the center cap. Others use the same logo even!?

As far as centering rings, if the rims aren't hub centric or designed specifically for the car they're going on, my high end balancing place says ya gotta have centering rings. Even though the place I got my rims didn't supply them my balancing place lucked out finding some for my odd ball center bore size (73mm). The other day I looked at one of the rings carefully - they fit very precisely.

Old 08-23-01, 02:18 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Sorry, I got them out of order. The second is the Altstadt I, third is the Blitz. Doesn't Y2KGS have that Blitz wheel??? I can't remember for sure. Bit, I'm just going by the pic's on GTautosports page.
Old 08-23-01, 05:47 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The last wheel is a BUTT UGLY attempt to copy the SSR Minerva...here's a pict of the real thing...

My PERSONAL opinion....

Chrome - Too much ghetto rap-star bling for me. There are a few wheels that look good in chrome, but most look "cheap" to me (since there are SO many cheap chrome wheels available now)

Manaray VR5 - Despite the name, SKIP IT. I think the wanna-be 3-piece look of a 1-piece wheel is WEAK. There would have be NO SHAME to taking those black wannabe bolts out on that wheel!

Aldstadt 1 - Great wheel but the style is a little played out now. Lot of knock-offs and similar style wheels unfortunately. I had these wheels a few years ago...

Side Note: Bit, I don't think the Altstadt 1's and the V11's look exactly the same...they look similiar, but not the same...but you're right about the center logo...hehehe...those look more similar than the wheels do IMO though...

Blitz Type 03's - Another great wheel but I don't really like it on the GS...

SSR Minerva - These are NICE wheels. Out of the four you posted, I would get these...they're different (I haven't seen an exact knock-off yet rolling around Los Angeles yet) and they're well made...also, the Minervas have deeper than normal looking lips (if you're into the deep lip action)

At any rate, those are just my opinions..there are a lot of good wheels out there so make sure you ABSOLUTELY want the wheels you buy...otherwise, you'll be doing Wheels v2.0 and it gets costly!
Attached Thumbnails Thinking about upgrading wheels!-ssr-20minerva.jpg  
Old 08-23-01, 08:44 AM
GSman
Pole Position

Thanks for everyones comments.

Manaray the SSR Minerva looks nice, also which wheel styles in chrome do you like? The heard that PIAA will be coming out with a new 3 piece style which looks similar to the split spoke design of the VR5 Quests. How is the PIAA Rozza line?

Manaray and anyone else who is an LA local, any recommendations on a wheel store with good prices?

Last edited by GSman; 08-23-01 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-23-01, 09:13 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Manaray, isn't there a picture of the Minerva's on a GS?? I know I saw it but can't remember where, and I know if I've seen it, you've seen it. It's a fu&ked up pink color. That would give him an idea of what they would look like.

Quick Reply: Thinking about upgrading wheels!