GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

a/c filter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-03, 06:19 PM
Mischievious GS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question a/c filter?

does anyone know for certain if the 1st gen GS's have an a/c filter like the 2nd gen's do? the previous owner was a smoker, and the a/c system has a moldy smell when it first starts up. i've got rid of most of the smoke smell from the carpets, it's just the a/c system now that irks me . i've asked around including a few mechanics and lexus personnel, but no one has given me a definative answer. i've read a few posts in regards to the 2nd gen GS's with the same problem, and they were told to change the a/c filter behind their glovebox.
Old 06-17-03, 07:12 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yep... they've got them.

I've got one sitting in my garage waiting to be put in... just as soon as I get off my lazy butt.
Old 06-17-03, 08:07 PM
Mischievious GS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

have any idea where it's located?
Old 06-17-03, 08:41 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that the 1st gen does have the ability to have an a/c filter, but most of them did not come with one from the factor. I remember seeing the location of the filter on a schematic someone posted here on CL, but I have been unable to find it since.

The filter is pretty expensive, the dealer in Cerritos is charging $55, but there is a thread on this site where someone bought a hepa filter from Lowes and cut it so it would fit into the filter location. Unfortunately, I cannot find the thread.
Old 06-17-03, 08:51 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Default Re: yep... they've got them.

Originally posted by Leets
I've got one sitting in my garage waiting to be put in... just as soon as I get off my lazy butt.
hey Leets,

Where did you buy it and how much was it? BTW I bought 2 9006 sockets for 5.00 each today at autozone.. Did I get ripped?

Thanks
Old 06-18-03, 08:23 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Default filter

so how do you know if you have one or not? Where would it be?
Old 06-21-03, 01:46 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Here is the link to the site I was talking about where the guy bought a HEPA filter from HomeDepo and cut it and used it as an A/C filter. I don't know who this page belongs to, but it is pretty interesting. http://lexusmodz.netfirms.com/GS_DIY/hepa_filter/
Old 06-21-03, 02:27 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: yep... they've got them.

Originally posted by SouthernSunGS
hey Leets,

Where did you buy it and how much was it?
I got mine at my work (gotta love the 25% discount). It's a Fram, and I think we normally sell them for around $40.
Old 06-23-03, 10:21 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Yo, leets. I open my glovebox, what is this plastic cover I'm supposed to remove? Maybe I'm missing something?
Old 06-23-03, 06:16 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

K, so in typical Kragen fashion, the part I was sent wasn't the correct one for my car. I checked with Metro Toyota/Lexus in Victoria and decided I'd just get it through them. It's about $20 more, but at least it's the correct one. Mine didn't originally come with one, but considering how tasty the air in South Cali is getting, I figure it's worth it.

Anywayz, to install it here's what you do. First get underneath the dash (below the glovebox... you don't even have to open it to do this job) on the passenger side of the vehicle. There you will see a black plastic panel with a light in it. Gently pull it straight down from the front (the side closest the seat). It's held in by those snap in fittings, so it may take a lil effort. Just don't go ballistic on it cuz those things love to break. Once you pull it loose you just slide it out towards you. Then you will see two brass wing nuts on the bottomside of the big white box. Simply turn those (counterclockwise) to undo the filter opening. They might be a little tight... I had to use pliers cuz they were too tight for my delicate little fingers If your car didn't come with a filter I'd also suggest vacuuming out the opening. As soon as I got the cover off a grip of dirt and stuff fell out, so expect a bit of a mess. Hope that helps everyone out.

Last edited by Leets; 06-23-03 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-09-03, 08:15 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Default Did anyone try this?!

I got the wing nuts off but nothing will budge....DO I need to take off any of the screws?
Attached Thumbnails a/c filter?-img_0055.jpg  
Old 10-10-03, 11:03 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

the cover is stuck in there kinda snuggly cause of this big rubber thing so all you need to do is get a screw driver and give the bracket a little push so that it comes off of the bolts. Mine didn't have a filter in it, and yes its kinda nasty in there, leaves and stuff.
Old 10-11-03, 05:02 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. Mine had only one leaf and some dirt which had become mud because I guess it gets moist in there. ???

I went to the LEX dealer and they did not think they had any filters that would fit. What is the best way to go about putting a filter in there? I don't know what size it is supposed to be or anything without anything to compare to.
Old 10-11-03, 05:31 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

i just cut a piece that was 7 wide x 9" tall from a home filter and taped it to the bottom piece and just slid it in there. Seems to work ok. I'm not using heat/ac now so dunno if the air is nicer hehe.
Old 03-02-06, 09:14 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

What purpose do these filters serve?? Do they just clean the dust particles? Make the air taste better and fresher?

Will a hepa filter have the same results as a "LEXUS" filter

Quick Reply: a/c filter?