GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

#### No Spark #####

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 06:44 PM
youngstah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #### No Spark #####

HI, I want to know if anyone here can help me or has the tree troubleshooting to find out whats wrong with my car. Im getting code 14 I already tried a good igniter, coil and distributor. Im not getting no voltage reading to the coil connection. I dont know which wires to test which are from the igniter connection to see if im getting the right signal from the ecu.

Does anyone have the diagram on how to test the ecu to see if its bad? Or does anyone have any idea what can it be? I already check the fuses and they are all good too.
any help will be great, thanks.
Old 02-15-12, 08:00 PM
Jussjoshin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by youngstah
HI, I want to know if anyone here can help me or has the tree troubleshooting to find out whats wrong with my car. Im getting code 14 I already tried a good igniter, coil and distributor. Im not getting no voltage reading to the coil connection. I dont know which wires to test which are from the igniter connection to see if im getting the right signal from the ecu.

Does anyone have the diagram on how to test the ecu to see if its bad? Or does anyone have any idea what can it be? I already check the fuses and they are all good too.
any help will be great, thanks.
Ok I'm shooting from the hip here as I don't have any diagnostic material access at the moment. You said you're not getting any spark. Have you checked fuel? If you can verify that the fuel pressure is absent as well then you have a pod starting point. I've seen PCMs go bad quite a few times but more times then not it's something else. If you verify no fuel AND no spark then I would start with the crank sensor. Don't worry about can sensor for now as a motor will run with a faulty can sensor. If you have access to a lab scope, scope the crank sensor for a good 5v square wave. If it looks real crappy or it isn't making a wave at all then there's your problem.

If you have fuel pressure and simply have no spark then you were on the right track. Verify power and ground at the icm and if nothing check power and ground at the PCM. If B+ and ground are good at the PCM then check for voltage on supply wire for icm at PCM. (sorry I can't tell you off the top of my head which wire that is) if supply from PCM to icm is bad then suspect faulty PCM. If its good then you have a short / open in the wire. Check continuity between icm supply at pcm and signal at icm. If nothing then the fun begins. Start tracing the wire back to the PCM and find the short/open or to quick check it cut the wires at both ends and run a new wire. Good luck and let us know how it turns out
Old 02-15-12, 08:03 PM
Jussjoshin
Pole Position

Ignore the bad spelling. I'm not dumb I just have fat fingers haha
Old 02-16-12, 04:49 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

you said you dont have +12v to the ignitor? that would cause the ignitor to be seen as bad by the ecu as it wouldnt be working at all. you need to check your fuses and the plugs over by the fuse box etc... with the key on, there should be +12v to the coil and ignitor both.
Old 02-16-12, 07:59 AM
youngstah
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the help im going to check the wiring. There is good source of fuel. I even took out the cam sensor and turned it and you even here the injectors. There is no 12 votes reading to the COIL.
Old 02-16-12, 08:05 AM
youngstah
Driver School Candidate

oh and if anyone knows where i can download a diagnostics or service manual that will be great.
Old 02-16-12, 08:28 AM
williamb82
Advanced

the coil should have +12v when the key is on as well.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6051260-post79.html
Old 02-16-12, 06:46 PM
youngstah
Driver School Candidate

Ok , there is no voltage on on b+ wire but there is continuity from that wire to ecu connector. so it is a bad ecu i believe.
Old 02-17-12, 04:14 AM
williamb82
Advanced

do you have +12v at the b+ wire at the ecu, what about +B1? if not, check that M-RELhas power when the key is on. thats the wire that triggers the main relay to supply B+. if it has 12v, check your main relay. if it is good, its a wiring issue. if there is no power from M-REL, check IGSW at the ecu and make sure it has +12v with the key on. if it does, then its a bad ecu. if it doesnt, then its an issue with power from the ignition switch, likley the switch itself.
Old 02-17-12, 08:45 PM
youngstah
Driver School Candidate

Ok, i think im testing wrong here which is the b+ wire and the b-? I thought it was the b wire at the igniter connector which I had to check for voltage.
Old 02-20-12, 04:12 AM
williamb82
Advanced

there is no b-.

b and b+ both should have +12v.
Old 02-20-12, 07:35 AM
youngstah
Driver School Candidate

ok, but where is the wire located. Is it the main white one screwed down on the fuse box or is it on the connector to the ecu.
Old 02-20-12, 10:07 AM
williamb82
Advanced

go to the online service manual i posted and go to the diagram for the car. itll show you the pinout at the ecu so you can check them. you need to check the voltages at the ecu first.
Old 02-20-12, 09:23 PM
youngstah
Driver School Candidate

sorry to bother you but is there a way you can email me the pdf because i tried to download it but the pics of the diagram dont download. thanks

fernros20@yahoo.com