GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

where to start? (Mechanical issues)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-12, 10:06 PM
ygfresh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb where to start? (Mechanical issues)

well here i go... I've had my 1st gen 95 gs300 for about 2 years purchased it off a struggling college student trying to stay afloat over his massive bills.... so i thought it was a steal. i purchased it for about 2700... everything was pretty much stock didn't seem to have much wrong with it other that a few cosmetic things. he replaced the front bumper yet left it a odd dark color and obviously different from the weather damage green paint the car is originally.

so after about 4 to 6 month of having the car its ran hotter than normal so i had it checked and was told the head gasket was bad yet i felt the mechanic wasnt being genuine. so i got a second opinion and and that wasn't the case but the machanic did manged to slightly warp my gasket trying to prove it was bad. so after a bottle of liquid sealing later its running normal.... well so i thought it was...

driving on the freeway going about 75mph i decided to speed up to let an tailgating car behind me pass and my car wouldn't accelerate so i slow down instead and merged yet when trying to acclerate back to normal 65mph to stay with the flow of thttps://www.clublexus.com/forums/images/smilies/woot.gifraffic my car wouldn't budge... and in the process something eventually burst into flames underneath the front of my car...

so after putting the flames out and towing it home... starting it up again was horrible the engine tremble like crazy and the loudest knocking sound came out of it... from this supposedly well kept car from the previous owners... felt like cutting my lost especially from all the negative commentary surround me in other opinion on the situation...

yet i let it sit in my stall at home hoping to gain enough money to replace the engine... after some time passed i replace the engine with a used engine... and things started looking up again... then my alternator went out and i replaced it and yet still have alternator issues.... both my lower ball joint ended up snapping in the process of driving (two seperate time tho) one managed to escape with damage to anything... the second time wasn't so lucky ended up messing the side of my car up. and after partying on night someone ran into the side of my car and my doors got messed up while it was parked outside a party...

just found out my distributor is leaking oil on my alternator so both have to be replaced... ... so im starting this thread not only as my project thread but im ask 1st gen gs owner to come forward and help me along the way to getting my car to the point where i can mod and be proud of my car.... i'm not giving up on this car that can be something so beautiful with the right effort.....

so like my title WHERE DO I START????

Last edited by RA40; 02-19-12 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-19-12, 10:24 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

start here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...eneration-120/
Old 02-19-12, 10:36 PM
ygfresh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by projectdna
thanks for posted a reply.... I've seen a lot of threads yet can't pin point where to start with this car so i thought if i posted this maybe someone would see it and give me some kind of direction in their opinion
Old 02-19-12, 11:08 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Depending where you are in Cali, one of the threads on repair shops if you don't want to take on the task yourself.
Moved to the 1-GS section.
Old 02-20-12, 09:58 PM
plkyone
Lead Lap

Get the engine in order (if u plan to keep it stock) and your front end (bushings and all) you will be amazed how well the gs runs when the front end and bushings are replaced then mod as u like
Old 02-21-12, 01:06 AM
ygfresh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by plkyone
Get the engine in order (if u plan to keep it stock) and your front end (bushings and all) you will be amazed how well the gs runs when the front end and bushings are replaced then mod as u like
Thanx for the reply.... I've decided square one is exactly how u put it getting my engine in order and modding after..... and here my journey begin