ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Software Updated

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-21, 08:48 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 703 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by dgoulian
Lexus map updates are not free. I just updated my 2016 GS350 map data for $230 with micro SD card.
I agree that you would have to pay for an update for a 2016 Lexus vehicle, but that comment may be misleading for this generation of ES. Since this version receives updates dynamically, there is some debate as to whether a map update is actually necessary. Now this "service" is only included with purchase for three years, so after that point I presume you have to continue purchasing the service on subscription or purchase new maps on an SD card as was done with older vehicles?

Old 01-13-21, 01:02 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive...mic-navigation
Old 01-14-21, 03:36 AM
acotugno
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

When I read all of this, I'm glad I didn't get and pay extra for the NAV option when I purchased my 2019 ES350 F-Sport. Some may say it increases the cars resale value. True. But, I paid less for the car so it kind of equals out. But the important point is with navigation so easy to use on iPhones and Androids, why use the cumbersome vehicle NAV that becomes outdated and requires paying for updates? Fancy to have but a useless waste of money option.
The following 2 users liked this post by acotugno:
kalel2127 (01-14-21), Slainte (01-14-21)
Old 01-14-21, 07:02 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,395 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Originally Posted by acotugno
When I read all of this, I'm glad I didn't get and pay extra for the NAV option when I purchased my 2019 ES350 F-Sport. Some may say it increases the cars resale value. True. But, I paid less for the car so it kind of equals out. But the important point is with navigation so easy to use on iPhones and Androids, why use the cumbersome vehicle NAV that becomes outdated and requires paying for updates? Fancy to have but a useless waste of money option.
The value you lose on resale (depending on when you dump the car of course) is likely to outweigh the initial cost of the NAV. I rarely use it but would never buy one without it for that very reason. A late model luxury car without NAV is like the runt of a dog litter
Old 01-14-21, 08:13 AM
acotugno
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I see your point mikemu30 but I guess it comes down to how you define a luxury car. I paid 39,700 + tax for my car - new (not demo) back in September of 2019. The dealer was full of ES inventory then. That price is not a far stretch from a loaded V6 Camry. If I was buying a car in the 60K or over range, yes, NAV is a requirement. Heck, power side mirrors were not available that year. LOL

Old 01-14-21, 08:27 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by acotugno
Just curious....in your vehicle without navigation, does it have Apple CarPlay and can you run it through the information screen, or do you view Waze, Google Maps, etc just on your iPhone?
Old 01-14-21, 08:51 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Unfortunately, the FAQ page still doesn't state whether there is a need to install periodic map updates. With "Dynamic Map," it will receive cloud-based map updates over the air. So my question is this, if I keep the service once the complimentary period ends, is there any reason I would ever need to purchase an annual update?
Old 01-14-21, 09:18 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by wasjr
Just curious....in your vehicle without navigation, does it have Apple CarPlay and can you run it through the information screen, or do you view Waze, Google Maps, etc just on your iPhone?
Yes, vehicles without Navi have Carplay.
Old 01-14-21, 02:43 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 495 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
Unfortunately, the FAQ page still doesn't state whether there is a need to install periodic map updates. With "Dynamic Map," it will receive cloud-based map updates over the air. So my question is this, if I keep the service once the complimentary period ends, is there any reason I would ever need to purchase an annual update?
There's an expiration date on the dynamic (i.e., temporary) navigation update data. From the 2019 LEXUS ES 350 Navigation and Multimedia System Owner's Manual on page 112 in the "Temporary updates of the map" section:

If the map data has been provided from the Lexus Enform center for any of the following areas and the map data in the system is older than what has been provided, the displayed map will be updated temporarily:
  • Areas around the area displayed on the map screen (example: areas around current position)
  • Areas around destinations
  • Areas along the set route
  • The updated data will temporarily be saved in the system.
  • If temporary update data exceeds the available memory in the temporary map cache, the oldest data will be deleted.
  • The temporary map data will disappear when the expiration date has passed
Newer versions of the manual have the same text but the page number location varies by a page or so.

The manuals for ESs produced up to September 2019 has the following on temporary data expiration date on the Map data screen but has been eliminated in newer versions:
D Expiration date of temporary updates of the map and a route from the Lexus Enform center. When “***” is displayed for the expiration date, the validity period has not yet been set for the service. The validity period will be set auto- matically. Map updates are avail- able even before the period is set.
Also, after the complementary period the purchased updates are for two year periods for the 2019-2021 ES model years per the current renewal pricing scheme.
Old 01-15-21, 08:42 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by grp52
There's an expiration date on the dynamic (i.e., temporary) navigation update data. From the 2019 LEXUS ES 350 Navigation and Multimedia System Owner's Manual on page 112 in the "Temporary updates of the map" section:

Newer versions of the manual have the same text but the page number location varies by a page or so.

The manuals for ESs produced up to September 2019 has the following on temporary data expiration date on the Map data screen but has been eliminated in newer versions:
Thank you for the informative reply. Now I feel a little silly that I didn't research that more in the manual before posting my question.