ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Storage spaces for driver........or lack thereof

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-19, 02:41 PM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Storage spaces for driver........or lack thereof

woah, i did not notice this while test driving the car.

where the hell you supposed to put random **** like sunglasses, phone (without holder), etc?

the door compartment is soooooooo small, and the 2 cup holders up front are separated.

i have 3 chargers running from armrest compartment (usb-c, mini usb and lightning connector), so not much room left there.

i've always used either the dual cupholder or center console compartment in all my previous cars.

i never for a second thought that having the cup holders separate would be so inconvenient lol. smartphones do not fit inside the cup holders.

also, rear passenger doors don't have compartments!!!!!!!!!! i did not know this! LOL

how do you guys manage?
Old 01-23-19, 04:08 PM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

This was my biggest beef about the cell phone not fitting in either cup holder. My salesman was at a loss of words pretty much.
Old 01-23-19, 05:43 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Albo
This was my biggest beef about the cell phone not fitting in either cup holder. My salesman was at a loss of words pretty much.
Weathertech makes a nice cup holder cell phone holder.

https://www.weathertech.com/cupfone/
Old 01-23-19, 08:51 PM
Emiddleb
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

When I jumped from a 2003 ES 300 to my 2013 ES 350 the first thing I missed was the overhead sunglasses holder. I did add an aftermarket tray inside the center console which helps a bit with storage.
Old 01-23-19, 11:22 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Weathertech makes a nice cup holder cell phone holder.

https://www.weathertech.com/cupfone/
Have to admit the one thing I have disliked about my 2013 ES is the lack of space for things like keys, glasses, cellphone... etc etc...thanks lesz for the heads up on the weather tech item. Think I'll check it out.

Roland
Old 01-24-19, 05:17 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Poppa
Have to admit the one thing I have disliked about my 2013 ES is the lack of space for things like keys, glasses, cellphone... etc etc...thanks lesz for the heads up on the weather tech item. Think I'll check it out.

Roland
My only knowledge about the Weathertech phone holder comes from a TV ad that I saw a couple of days ago, but what struck me was the interesting design that allows for a snug, secure fit in any size cup holder and with any size phone.
Old 01-24-19, 07:26 AM
BamBam20
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That WT cupfone is a neat idea.

I am not one to keep too much stuff in my car so it hasnt bothered me much yet (still a newb though) but I do notice that lack of space for things. Atleast the programmable garge door opener allows you to save space and have a sunglass visor clip rather than a garage door opener clipped on the visor? Trying to find silver lining...lol
Old 01-24-19, 11:31 AM
Vsingh93
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Yup

Yeah, I had the same issues with it. I did a big upgrade from an older Corolla, and even that had more storage space. I had a drop down compartment from the lights for glasses and another compartment behind the shifter.

What's even worse is that a lot of cell phone holders won't work with the vents! The lip under the vent sticks out too far. The only thing I got to work (ironically) was the cheap magnetic phone holder from Walmart by AutoDrive. It's like $3-4, it's NOT the Scoshe one for $20. It's neck sticks out JUST enough to mount the phone there.

​​​​for everything else, I just toss it in the center console. Still sucks though. But other than that, been pretty happy with the car.

Last edited by Vsingh93; 01-24-19 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Added photos
Old 01-25-19, 01:23 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

I don't know why this didn't enter my mind earlier ( probably because I'm old ) but on the subject of storage space.. as I said earlier sure wish there was more space, but when it comes to cell phones, .. If I'm alone I just throw the phone on the passengers seat, but if I have a passenger I normally stick the phone in the center console. It's blue tooth right... even though it's out of sight I can answer and make calls using the steering wheel and voice commands... only downfall there is since the phone is out of sight you can't tell who's calling... but I have a solution for that also.. if it's someone I don't want to talk to I just hang up..
The following users liked this post:
edsagara (05-29-22)
Old 01-25-19, 05:13 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
I don't know why this didn't enter my mind earlier ( probably because I'm old ) but on the subject of storage space.. as I said earlier sure wish there was more space, but when it comes to cell phones, .. If I'm alone I just throw the phone on the passengers seat, but if I have a passenger I normally stick the phone in the center console. It's blue tooth right... even though it's out of sight I can answer and make calls using the steering wheel and voice commands... only downfall there is since the phone is out of sight you can't tell who's calling... but I have a solution for that also.. if it's someone I don't want to talk to I just hang up..
Why can't you see who's calling? It should be displayed on your screen.

As for storage, the only thing I feel I'm missing is a sun-glass holder. The phone stays in my pocket and anything else fits easily in the center console.
Old 01-25-19, 05:26 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike728
Why can't you see who's calling? It should be displayed on your screen.

As for storage, the only thing I feel I'm missing is a sun-glass holder. The phone stays in my pocket and anything else fits easily in the center console.
Yes, the only people that I can imagine who would have a need to have the phone mounted in a location where the screen was readily visible would be those who have non-navigation cars and who want to be able to see the map screen while using Waze, Google Maps, etc. (even though I can't imagine that a map on a small phone screen can be of much use while driving in a safe manner).
Old 01-25-19, 11:08 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Yes, the only people that I can imagine who would have a need to have the phone mounted in a location where the screen was readily visible would be those who have non-navigation cars and who want to be able to see the map screen while using Waze, Google Maps, etc. (even though I can't imagine that a map on a small phone screen can be of much use while driving in a safe manner).
I actually have navigation in my car and use my phone (Waze/Google Maps) and find it much more useful than the horrible built-in Lexus navigation. My phone calculates better routes around traffic and easier to find POI. Too bad Lexus took so long to implement Apple CarPlay...might have to look into aftermarket solutions.
Old 01-25-19, 02:28 PM
NachoNYC
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Sunglasses case stored in center storage.

For cell phones I use this, highly recommended. One on the a/c vents to my left for GPS. One on the center vent to place my cell phone sideways and play YouTube music videos for passengers.

Amazon Amazon