ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Would you do this "repair?"

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-14, 09:42 AM
ebilyn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you do this "repair?"

When I brought my 2007 ES350 (with 55K miles on odometer) in for an oil/filter change at my local Lexus Dealership, I was told that the mechanic identified an oil leak and "Recommended Head Gasket/Front Cover Reseal" was noted on my receipt. I have not had any dashboard warnings (eg. low oil level), and I've been checking the oil dipstick over the past 1200 miles since I received the car back from this oil change, and I haven't seen any drop in the oil level .

It's looking like Lexus will cover the cost of the repair, which I anticipate would be in the thousands of dollars based on how many times the service consultant said that this kind of repair is VERY expensive. I'm waiting for confirmation any day now...

The car runs very smoothly as it is...Because it's such an extensive repair, I hate to take the chance that it just won't run well when they put it all back together, if the repair isn't necessary in the first place.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you,
Eric
Old 03-27-14, 11:05 AM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

. Dud you buy an extended warranty...is that why they're covering
this? Curious...
Old 03-27-14, 11:56 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm a show me type of person and after doing my own wrenching for over 50 years I want to see the problem. Did you ask to go with the mechanic and while the car was on the lift look at the leak. Do you have anything leaking on your garage/driveway floor. These cars are open underneath and you should be able to see any fluids on the engine. Now if I did see the problem and it was a seal leak or headgasket leak then if it were covered under warranty then I would get it fixed. They may come back and give you a story that it isn't covered but they will pick up half of the cost. Based on what they say would depend on my next move. What did they say was leaking?
Old 03-28-14, 08:19 AM
CQRT
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexi66
. Dud you buy an extended warranty...is that why they're covering
this? Curious...
I'm curious as well . .. how much oil is leaking on the garage floor, etc ?

If it's at no cost to you- sure, I'd do it.
Old 03-28-14, 08:44 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

YES, schedule to have this fix ASAP. THis is a very common problem with the 3.5L, V6 engines which affecting IS350, ES350 and many Toyota models. Basically the oil is leaking from the timing chain cover, about 2/3 of the way up in the front of the engine. The oil seems to leak only when the engine is running so you wont have a pool of oil under the car. Most of us wont noitce it until it is a lot of oil build up on the plastic tray and spilled out (or bring the car in for service).
This is a very very expensive fix! There was a TSB awhile back and Lexus allow 12 labor hour to pull engine out and fix the leak ( probably less than $100 for parts). However, Lexus will charge 24 labor hours if you are out of warranty. The dealer quoted $4200 to fix my IS350 and the lowest indie shop wanted $2400 to fix

Again, the leak is hard to spot unless you remove the plastic tray and look for it. My car was religiously serviced at the dealer but they did not notice the leak until i went in for a major service less than 10k miles after warranty expired (i could tell the leak has been there for awhile). I haven't done the repair yet (since my car has 110k miles now and the cost is too high). I am monitoring the leak and it seems i am getting a few drops of oil every week (about 400 miles or so).
Old 03-28-14, 04:34 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You're wrong. You don't automatically just schedule a repair asap. The others are correct. Take it some place and get it so you can see where the leak is. If there really is on. Mechanics, even at a dealership aren't gods and all know.

Now, if you want to spend thousands of dollars have a nut. Otherwise know what you're doing.
Old 03-28-14, 04:49 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by christcorp
You're wrong. You don't automatically just schedule a repair asap. The others are correct. Take it some place and get it so you can see where the leak is. If there really is on. Mechanics, even at a dealership aren't gods and all know.

Now, if you want to spend thousands of dollars have a nut. Otherwise know what you're doing.
Di you read the part where the OP wrote "It's looking like Lexus will cover the cost of the repair"? That was the reason I said get it done ASAP. This type of repair cover under 6 years/70k miles powertrain warranty or Extended warranty (which I hope the OP is qualified for). Get it fixed if your car is under warranty! There is no need for second opinion; this is a very common problem with the 3.5L engines. If your car is out of warranty then sure bring it to an trusted indie shop (but be prepared to pay thousands of dollars to get it fixed)
Old 03-29-14, 04:05 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May I ask where exactly you're getting it done in CA? If you're in Socal I can direct you to a good dealer and service adviser who will take care of you and your car.

Not all dealers are created equal but they definitely are not going to do thousands of dollars of work to your car at a loss just to mess with your car. If they did... well, that mechanic would get the boot real quickly.