ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 iPhone dock in ashtray DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-11, 09:58 PM
Dennis18r
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES350 iPhone dock in ashtray DIY

Custom DIY ashtray iPhone Dock for Lexus ES350. *This was my way of making the dock fit in the ashtray space without having wires and cords hanging everywhere. *It charges and plays music over the AUX input instead of an FM modulator that normally gives a lot of static. *I don't have Nav so I used a power cord/Aux cable combo I bought at RadioShack. It's a Y style cord where the single end becomes a iPhone connection. *I removed the entire middle console and arm rest, disconnected the power outlet and Aux cable and moved it under the cup holder/shift area. *Plugged in my RadioShack cord and routed the iPhone end to a hole I made in the ashtray. *I made the hole big enough to fit a black adapter I had to hold the iPhone. *Put it all together and some epoxy... iPhone Doc complete! *Works great, charges phone and plays music over Aux input. *And the ashtray closes up perfectly without showing any cords. *Clean!*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz_5-...e_gdata_player
Old 07-31-11, 10:55 PM
lexuslivin
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What iPhone dock did you use? I think the official apple iPhone dock is too big for the space in the ashtray.
Old 08-01-11, 12:53 AM
acdapast
Driver

good stuff, clean, how long did this take you? it seems pretty difficult with all the wiring and stuff. It would be so much better if u can give a step by step diy!
Old 08-01-11, 04:41 PM
Dennis18r
Driver School Candidate

Default Diy

I took Pics of the process but my computer is being a jerk face. Basically I used a small black plastic "insert" that came with my alarm clock. It came with several "inserts" to fit different iphone/ipod models. The standard dock is too big but the little plastic "insert" is small. I made the hole on the bottom bigger to fit the iphone charging cord through it and glued them together.

As for Step by step. The hardest thing was figuring out how to remove the center arm rest. Take off the rear A/C vent. Then you will see two bolts holding arm rest down. The front comes out just by pulling on it as it is held together by clips.

Now on the underside of the center armrest you can see the power outlet and aux outlet. Use a flat head screwdriver to just pop them out of there holder. Now that they are loose you can plug in your power cord/Aux cable. (the outlet is still working its just not connected to the plastic hole in the armrest anymore.

Next run the cord with the plug and aux to any point out of the way near the cup holder area. Run the charging end up to the ashray area. Bolt everything back down in place.

With the ashtray out. Place the Insert in the lower left corner and trace around it with a pencil. Take a dremel tool or whatever you have and CAREFULLY drill out the space needed to place the "insert". Leave a small lip on the front of the ashtray for you to glue the "insert".

And that's really it. I hope that was helpfull enough. It took me a few hours to do it all but the hardest parts here figuring out how to remove the center armrest and drilling out the ashtray. Im trying to upload the pics but it keeps crashing.. Sorry. I'll try again later.

Good luck,

Dennis
Old 08-01-11, 04:46 PM
Dennis18r
Driver School Candidate

Default Iphone Dock Ashtray DIY Lexus ES350

Here are some pics!
Attached Thumbnails ES350 iPhone dock in ashtray DIY-img_0522.jpg   ES350 iPhone dock in ashtray DIY-img_0538.jpg   ES350 iPhone dock in ashtray DIY-img_0541.jpg   ES350 iPhone dock in ashtray DIY-img_0548.jpg   ES350 iPhone dock in ashtray DIY-img_0549.jpg  

Old 08-01-11, 05:16 PM
lexuslivin
Driver

How did you glue the dock insert to the cable to make it strong enough where when you dock your iPhone it doesn't push it down?
Old 08-01-11, 05:56 PM
Dennis18r
Driver School Candidate

Default Ashtray Dock iPhone ES350

I made the opening just barely wider on the plastic insert. I basically had to shove the plug in from underneath. Then I used Super glue from the bottom and after that dried I used some epoxy all along the bottom. It's holding very well. Just give it time to dry. Before adding any glue i did plug my phone into it to find the correct height to have the cord come through the plastic insert. Then I gently pulled my phone out and glued that bad boy in place.
Old 08-11-11, 09:36 AM
flipp4
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your like me, I cant live without my Ipod, That install looks clean! Good job, Im prob gonna try to do the same thing now!
Old 08-31-11, 04:06 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow! I was planning on doing this to my SC! This is a great help! Thanks!
Old 09-08-11, 10:25 PM
Mundashie
Driver School Candidate

That's amazing!! I took my es350 to a custom shop and they didn't offer anything nearly as good. Can u put up a video of how u did they wiring? I got a lil lost there. Thx!
Old 09-09-11, 06:38 PM
sam2012
Driver School Candidate

Default Details on the Radio Shack cable

Hey Dennis,

Great Job !

Can you give more info on the radio shack cable ? part no ? sku no ? etc.. or even the complete name ?

Thanks,
- Sam.
Old 01-09-12, 05:24 PM
Dennis18r
Driver School Candidate

Default Iphone charging plus Aux cable

It something like this or similar. I don't have the exact name of the one I bought at radio shack but its just like this one. Make sure the cable is long enough for the aux to plug in and the charger and run the long end with the iphone connector all the way past the shifter and up the ash tray. Hope that helped.
Attached Thumbnails ES350 iPhone dock in ashtray DIY-img_0508.jpg  
Old 01-12-12, 12:31 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job on the diy for an ipod/iphone. Although it is not as integrated ($$$) as a Vaistech module it is a great alternative. Its always great to see people coming up with innovative ways to mod their cars... especially an ES350.
Old 10-21-13, 08:25 PM
Redrose
Driver School Candidate

Tx this is to complex for my female brain!