ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Struts / Shocks question for 2000 ES

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-17, 10:07 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Struts / Shocks question for 2000 ES

Brief history; this is Platinum edition and I am the original owner. Currently with 289k miles.

About two years front Struts/Shocks were replaced by non OEM part. Since then, ride is very stiff, which I don't like. Back is still with original, don't make any noises going over bumps buy it has sunk about an inch or two. Time to replace Struts/Shocks on the back. I would want to replace all the four since I don't see any mechanical issues with the car and hope to keep it for some more years.

Here are my question;
  • Does Platinum edition comes with air shocks?
  • What do you recommend as a good replacement still provides decent soft ride (besides OEM)?
  • Anything else I need to consider while these gets replaced?
Thanks....
Old 08-07-17, 11:26 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

For non-air systems, most people use KYB as the non-OE replacement. They ARE the OEM; their GR-2/Excel G strut is their aftermarket replacement and the closest match AFAIK. They work well; I have had them about 50k now. they felt firmer for maybe 10 to 15k then felt stock after that. For your rear springs, the OE are expensive; Moog makes a replacement that works well and is only about $65 for the pair. I have used those also and have been satisfied with the performance and longevity so far (50k also).
Old 08-07-17, 12:02 PM
satiger
Instructor

Thanks Oro, much appreciated. As you said OEM are darn expensive!.

Is there a reason why you recommend Moog for rear and not KYB?.
Old 08-07-17, 12:16 PM
satiger
Instructor

Also looking at KYB replacement catalog, 'suspension strut mount kid' is also listed. Should I get that as well or can I reuse original one ?. Eg, for front left :
Amazon Amazon
Old 08-07-17, 12:24 PM
Oro
Racer

Originally Posted by satiger
Thanks Oro, much appreciated. As you said OEM are darn expensive!.

Is there a reason why you recommend Moog for rear and not KYB?.
To be clear, I was talking about Moog springs in the rear, not struts. I meant to use KYB struts all around. I'll explain more.

The KYB "quick strut" is an option - this is the combined strut/spring/mount all together, vs. buying a strut and re-using struts and mounts. It is about $160 for the strut/spring/mount all assembled, and $60 for the strut alone if you assemble it yourself (per corner). It should work fine. BUT: some people have a lot of problems with aftermarket upper mounts (with the bearings in them), including the KYB ones. So what I did was re-use my factory upper mounts, and compress the Moog springs onto the KYB struts and original upper mount. KYB did not offer a separate spring for my year type (02-06), but there are more choices on earlier models. Up front, I did the same except re-used the factory front springs; they rarely ever wear out. I saved a lot of money doing this, and I felt I had a better chance to avoid upper mount issues later on even by re-using high mileage OE mounts vs. new aftermarket based on the many stories of problems with them I read about both hear and at Toyotanation.com.
Old 08-07-17, 02:02 PM
satiger
Instructor

Thanks Oro, that helps.

Just to be clear, struts don't come with springs. I could re-use original spring with these new struts?. I will get strut mounts as well for all four struts. Thanks for your help. Any thing else that I need to consider?.
Old 08-07-17, 03:59 PM
Oro
Racer

- Just to be clear, struts don't come with springs.
They can be bought alone, or as a 'quick strut' complete. Either way.

- I could re-use original spring with these new struts?.
In the front, I would. But in the rear, they seem bad. You said it was sagging (that is a spring issue, not a shock issue).

- I will get strut mounts as well for all four struts.
I would not get mounts. The OE ones rarely ever fail, OE replacement are very expensive, and aftermarket ones fail. I would not replace them unless you know one to be bad (banging/clunk over bumps, etc.)

- Thanks for your help. Any thing else that I need to consider?
You probably need new boots (covers the upper part of the strut and protects from road debris) on each. You may want to buy new insulators - this is a thin rubber pad that goes between the spring and the strut mounting shelf. I re-use them, you can turn them a few degrees to alter the wear points, usually from the spring end. If not, you can cut some from old material easily. or buy some fresh ones.

You might want to look at your sway bar bushings to see if they need attention. Check your end-links, as it's all right there when you do this. Check the control arm bushings. Also while it's open, check the brake pads and disc wear.

If you are going to do the work, it might be worth jacking it up and taking the wheels off to look around to verify those points and others ahead of time so you get all the parts you need.
The following users liked this post:
satiger (08-08-17)
Old 08-07-17, 08:08 PM
satiger
Instructor

Thanks Oro. Very helpful.

I will get the parts and have dealer install them. Once again, thanks for your help and time.
Old 08-07-17, 09:18 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,708 Likes on 2,293 Posts

KYB is an excellent strut but they don't come anywhere near to duplicating the OEM ride KYB is significantly stiffer. Monroe will be much closer (not talking about the complete units) to the original ride but likely won't last as long. If you want exactly the OE ride back then you have to buy the OE struts.

As for the KYB's mellowing to be close to OEM that's not my experience, they do soften but after 60,000+ miles on the one car I did they still don't come close to the OE ride quality.
Old 08-08-17, 03:50 AM
satiger
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
KYB is an excellent strut but they don't come anywhere near to duplicating the OEM ride KYB is significantly stiffer. Monroe will be much closer (not talking about the complete units) to the original ride but likely won't last as long. If you want exactly the OE ride back then you have to buy the OE struts.

As for the KYB's mellowing to be close to OEM that's not my experience, they do soften but after 60,000+ miles on the one car I did they still don't come close to the OE ride quality.
Thanks Lexus2000. I agree OEM are the best for soft ride. However each axle would cost appo $1800, i,e $3600 for both front and back replacement by Lexus

Do you meant to say Monroe struts and reuse original springs?. I did see some negative feedback on Monroe quick struts. They have OESpectrum and Monro-Matic strut lines. Which one are you referring?.
Old 08-08-17, 10:21 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,708 Likes on 2,293 Posts

I was talking about the OESpectrum. See this post