ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1996 Es300 Power Steering System Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-17, 08:01 PM
AutoMaticI
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Es300 Power Steering System Replacement

Hello:

I've replaced all the lines, and the pump. I had the pump rebuilt thru Lares. I figured keeping the OEM pump and having it rebuilt was better than aftermarket. I don't know if that was the right call but I did it. Plus, it was a little more affordable than a aftermarket. I've replaced the lines, and I'm hooking the pump back up.

1. Is it best to put the hoses on the pump before bolting the pump up since it would be much easier to work with? Or are you supposed to bolt the pump up, and hook all the hoses ect after?
2. I'm having great difficulty getting the bolt that the power steering pump swings on threaded in. I've tried everything. My fingers, finger ratchet, and my electric rachet. I'm thinking it should be darn close to lined up because there isn't much play when the bolt is push through. I just can't understand why I can't get the threads started. Anyone got any tricks that I don't know about? Anyone else have a problem just getting that dang bolt to thread? I've made sure that the bolt goes in and out super easy while it's on my bench. Takes like a charm.
3. Assuming I can get the pump bolted back in here soon, what steps do I need to take? Do I just pour fluid in, and I'm off? I've read some about bleeding but I've also hear that you can just pour the fluid in and drive it for a bit and the air and stuff works itself out. This is all brand new stuff so I don't want to ruin it after all my hard work.

I hope you folks can help.

Ted
Old 07-17-17, 08:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,557 Posts

You might have to pull the pump and to make sure the bolt is going in easily. edit - I see you've already done this, hmmm. I did one of these on a 1993 but I don't remember all the details, I do remember tightening the pressure hose was damn near impossible I ended up using Vice Grips no other tool would fit. There may be more space on the 1MZ.

I'd say if you can put the pressure hose (there are actually two of them, I'm taking about the one for the steering rack) on first then do it, but is there room to thread the hose past everything?

For bleeding, raise both front wheels off the ground and turn the steering wheel lock to lock (engine off) adding fluid as you go. You'll hear the air burping out and the level dropping, after it stops dropping you're pretty much done. Start the engine and check the level again.

Last edited by LeX2K; 07-17-17 at 08:21 PM.