Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

power steering pump and belt squeal. please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-14, 05:32 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering pump and belt squeal. please help

I isolated the sound and the chirp is coming from the power steering pump. Now here is where I am stumped. the power steering pulley and pump is slightly misaligned. with the car running, I can physically push the ps pump assembly toward the fire wall and the noise goes away completely, until I let go and it shifts back forward. Once I let go it squeals immediately.

I have also observed that pushing the pump back toward the firewall does increase the belt tension in addition to aligning the pulleys.

Any ideas what would cause this? The pump and pulley themselves don't seem loose, but pushing the pump toward the firewall hasn't bent anything into place. Is there a hidden tension bolt or something I need to take the pump/pulley off to inspect?
Sorry there isn't more info, it got dark on me outside.
Old 10-28-14, 07:25 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Well...guess asking was worth a try
Old 10-30-14, 03:56 PM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Sorry you haven't gotten any help. I haven't had PS problems so I have no experience. It doesn't sound right that you can physically push the pump back.
Old 11-01-14, 05:18 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

My thoughts exactly...looks like I'll be taking it in for some insight on this one
Old 11-02-14, 12:42 PM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

Have you tried to tighten the bolts that hold the power steering pump to the engine?
Old 04-25-23, 03:32 PM
GotHeem
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is almost a decade old but were you able to find out what was causing the chirping? Appears to be similar to what I'm experiencing on my 08 RX350.
Old 05-04-23, 04:32 PM
MikesLexo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GotHeem
I know this is almost a decade old but were you able to find out what was causing the chirping? Appears to be similar to what I'm experiencing on my 08 RX350.
Im going through the same problem now.Bought a 2008 RX350 used with 120k. Figure I should do the full drive belt system tuneup along with waterpump and cure the chirps during the tune up. Still chirps ! Now I have ordered an Alternator Decoupler Pulley ( OEM made by Litens ) which is standard apart of tune up nowaday with the OAD Alternator pulley. Wish I knew about this during the tune up and had plenty of room. Just took the pulley cap off with plenty of rust. Some people say take off the cap on the pulley, blow all the rest out and lube it where its cure the chirps OR replace it. Replacing option requires removal and impact or special tool. It's tight in the car but I think I just have enough space once my pulley arrive to swap. Hope this yelp
Old 06-20-23, 10:35 AM
GotHeem
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikesLexo
Im going through the same problem now.Bought a 2008 RX350 used with 120k. Figure I should do the full drive belt system tuneup along with waterpump and cure the chirps during the tune up. Still chirps ! Now I have ordered an Alternator Decoupler Pulley ( OEM made by Litens ) which is standard apart of tune up nowaday with the OAD Alternator pulley. Wish I knew about this during the tune up and had plenty of room. Just took the pulley cap off with plenty of rust. Some people say take off the cap on the pulley, blow all the rest out and lube it where its cure the chirps OR replace it. Replacing option requires removal and impact or special tool. It's tight in the car but I think I just have enough space once my pulley arrive to swap. Hope this yelp
My mechanic replaced the front and rear engine mounts as well as the tranny mount (all OEM)... no more squeaking.