ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

How can I change ENGINE AIR FILTER? ES330 2006

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-09, 04:10 PM
Jom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I change ENGINE AIR FILTER? ES330 2006

Hi guys

I've search this forum and the internet as well as the owner manual but I still don't know how can I change ENGINE AIR FILTER. I found only the information about cabin air filter which I've changed already.

Anybody has idea about changing ENGINE AIR FILTER?

Thanks
Old 11-18-09, 05:29 AM
Nunyabiz
Driver School Candidate

Just pop the top off of the air filter box which you can see sitting just above the battery in this photo.
Then pop in another filter.

Preferably a K&N or some other good reusable type filter.

Old 11-19-09, 07:32 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

k&n oil may negatively affect your MAF [the device that helps run the engine]. dont use k&n. use regualr paper media. it filters best, costs less, change interval is roughly 15000 miles depending on environment car is used in.

also, come on, the air filter isn't in the owner's manual? can anyone else back JOM up on that? and if you dont know where or how, how do you know it needs to be changed -- or are you just curious?

one last thing, you checked the "internet" [meaning world wide web], owner's manual, and this forum -- and you couldn't find the engine air filter? took 2 min to find.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...000-es300.html

welcome to the forum! glad to have you aboard! someday, post pics of your car.

Last edited by llcoolpass; 11-19-09 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-23-09, 04:12 AM
Nunyabiz
Driver School Candidate

That's bull, nothing wrong with a K&N filter what so ever, does not "negatively affect" anything.
Been using one on every car I have owned for 30 years including my wife's ES300.
Old 11-23-09, 09:32 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

What you just said is colored with illogical and unreasonable points.
Old 11-23-09, 03:43 PM
Nunyabiz
Driver School Candidate

and what you said is complete BS
Old 11-23-09, 06:25 PM
dario
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nunyabiz
That's bull, nothing wrong with a K&N filter what so ever, does not "negatively affect" anything.
Been using one on every car I have owned for 30 years including my wife's ES300.
NOT true K&N ****ed MAF on my JETTA TDI diesel and it is not recommended on TDI cars not sure for Lexus though but willl never use that garbage again.
Old 11-26-09, 07:36 PM
Nunyabiz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dario
NOT true K&N ****ed MAF on my JETTA TDI diesel and it is not recommended on TDI cars not sure for Lexus though but willl never use that garbage again.
BS.
Total fabrication, urban myth.
I have used K&Ns exclusively on every car I have owned since 1977 with absolutely no problems of any kind.

"
We are aware of the “urban myth” (K&N News Story) created by a few dealerships that a vehicle's MAF sensor can be contaminated by K&N filter oil. No evidence has ever been provided to support this “myth” and three years of diagnostic testing by K&N has shown that not only is this allegation not real, it is not even possible. In our opinion, it is an excuse for a dealership and/or the vehicle manufacturer to avoid a legitimate warranty repair. In the last 4 years, we have sold over 10,000,000 lifetime air filters and received only a few hundred calls from consumers who are having dealership or service provider challenges. We believe that Dealership's or service provider's real incentive may be to discourage the use of reusable products so they can sell disposable products over and over. In order to provide consumers with added comfort that they will not be placed in a bad position by an improper warranty denial, we offer our Consumer Protection Pledge. "
http://www.knfilters.com/maf/massair.htm

http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?ID=517

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/MAFTestresults.htm

Last edited by Nunyabiz; 11-26-09 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-26-09, 08:03 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

BS.
Total fabrication, urban myth.
I have used K&Ns exclusively on every car I have owned since 1977 with absolutely no problems of any kind.
I have had this argument with you before, in another thread. But do not tell the man he is lying.

If you are so pro- K&N [read: overrated] Paypal the man 250$ that it cost to replace his MAF ?

Another note, a good friend had a VR6 GTI, he went out and spent the 500$ on the intake for the car [the full intake, AEM with K&N filter combo that they sold] and it went through 2 MAF's within a 3 month period... But that is just BS right?

Switched back to OEM and ever since all has been well, 2 years and 150k KM's later.

What i am getting at is 'good for you, i am really happy that K&N works for you!' but don't go around like a K&N messiah trying to convert everyone and tell them they are wrong for their respective beliefs.
Old 11-26-09, 08:10 PM
Nunyabiz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
I have had this argument with you before, in another thread. But do not tell the man he is lying.

If you are so pro- K&N [read: overrated] Paypal the man 250$ that it cost to replace his MAF ?

Another note, a good friend had a VR6 GTI, he went out and spent the 500$ on the intake for the car [the full intake, AEM with K&N filter combo that they sold] and it went through 2 MAF's within a 3 month period... But that is just BS right?

Switched back to OEM and ever since all has been well, 2 years and 150k KM's later.

What i am getting at is 'good for you, i am really happy that K&N works for you!' but don't go around like a K&N messiah trying to convert everyone and tell them they are wrong for their respective beliefs.

could not care less what you think.

Fact is that K&Ns or any of the lifetime type filters do NOT spray oil on MAFs, is simply doesn't happen and they have more than proven it 100% impossible.

I will stick with the proof instead of the assumptions.

Most of these MAFs are contaminating THEMSELVES because of the silicone in the top of the MAF that leaks down over the sensor.
Can blame it on the filter all you wish but the filter isn't the problem.

I simply used K&N and liked them, I am sure that Amsoil, Mann, and several other lifetime, oiled filters are equally as good.
Old 11-26-09, 11:14 PM
nitro316
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem with the MAF on a Golf and a GTI using the K&N as well so its not an urban myth.
Old 11-27-09, 07:04 AM
Nunyabiz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nitro316
I had the same problem with the MAF on a Golf and a GTI using the K&N as well so its not an urban myth.
wasn't the filter, and don't care how many of you say it was.

You 'believe" it was the filter because that is what you were told.
Old 11-27-09, 09:06 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

wasn't the filter, and don't care how many of you say it was.

You 'believe" it was the filter because that is what you were told.
Wow, you are dense.

There are two posters on here that had the problem on their VW, and a friend of mine, which, get this *I actually witnessed* !! OMG NO WAY

But of course i am a liar with a huge vengeance against a multimillion dollar company, and nothing better to do.

If you do not care as to what people are saying & have went through, why in the hell do you feel the need to reply & keep trying to come off as a know-it-all and that our past experiences are invalid.
Old 11-27-09, 09:42 AM
dario
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Wow, you are dense.

There are two posters on here that had the problem on their VW, and a friend of mine, which, get this *I actually witnessed* !! OMG NO WAY

But of course i am a liar with a huge vengeance against a multimillion dollar company, and nothing better to do.

If you do not care as to what people are saying & have went through, why in the hell do you feel the need to reply & keep trying to come off as a know-it-all and that our past experiences are invalid.

Unless he works for K&N
Old 11-27-09, 06:39 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

well if he works for kn, you would think A) he wouldn't want peopleto hav ea problem, afterall, not all products work with every car just the same

but anyway, the oil accumulates on the hotwire sensor. this was not something dealerships tried to make up -- that's something else i will get into later for fear of you just taking this as proof you were right. right now, what were saying is the oil makes the hotwire sensor less sensitive to the point where a CEL and DTC occur. you can often clean the things, but sometimes it doesnt work out. most people end up having to buy new MAF or hot wire sensor if possible. hot wire sensors are also bad at dealing with low air flow, compared to VAFs [like in the 92 and 93 es 300] ... so they become even less accurate at meetering a/f in your normal driving ranges -- fuel economyends up lower as the oil accumulates. also, just how much peak power is gained by using kn? and, also, how much money is saved ... most air filter last 15 to 20K miles [despite popular advertising telling u otherwise] and work better a bit soiled ..... and theres no fuel economy hit from that [again despite populat advertising , if you want, ill show u the factual data].......... so, again, the kn says it lasts 50K but costs 3 times more...... air filter pretty much that sme cost...... no risk of engine problems [MAF]........

umm.. no brainer

also, I didnt know VW had higher than normal problems, but i did know its a common problem on nissan maximas .