ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300 headlight replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-07, 06:21 AM
saustin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES300 headlight replacement

I need some help (instructions) on replacing the low beam headlight on a 2002 ES300. (Does the rubber boot just "pull off", etc.?)
Old 12-17-07, 08:07 AM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just pull the boot off, Push in the metal tab to release it, Pull it back and remove the bulb.
Old 12-19-07, 12:52 PM
vesnyder
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just di that on my Es330 (I assume they are similar) and what a PIA - particularly the drivers side. There is absolutely so room with teh battery in to get your hand in there and then you have to totall work from feel because you cannot see anything. It took me at least 30 min. Do the passengers side first so you know how it goes together and you can see what you are doing.
Old 09-18-08, 05:53 PM
nike30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are these the exact same instructions for a 2002 ES300? Thanks.
Old 09-03-17, 06:24 PM
alan311
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed both my HID bulbs for the 2002 Es300. They're working now but it was tough. There wasn't much room to work with. The box said don't touch the bulb and I had read about using gloves so I did use gloves but I had to touch the bulb a few times (wearing gloves).
Hopefully the bulbs will keep working. They said finger oil might cause premature failure so gloves are important. They're $3 for 10 pairs from CVS.
The ones I got were from Amazon sold by Phillips. Good reviews. "Philips D2R Standard Xenon HID Headlight Bulb, 1 Pack" - Manufacturer part #: 85126C1
The light isnt as white as OEM. Slightly yellowish but thats fine with me. Its a 15 year old car. A small difference doesn't bother me.

They're putting out a good amount of light so I think thats all fine. The only thing is how long it will last. I was about to give up and was ready to pay $100 or whatever to someone to replace the bulbs but I was able to complete the job.
The basic steps were:
- If its the driver side, take off the battery for easier access. I'm going to say that without taking the battery it might be very difficult.
- Press down on the power connector tab slightly and then push back to take it off.
- Twist the light gray protector cap anti-clockwise to open it. There's a rubber seal on it. The cap will come off with some wiggling. It has two wires attached.
- Push the two metal holding pins down and outwards so the bulb and its holder can be removed.
- Now you have to be careful with handling. *Wear gloves* and twist the new bulb into the holder. Try not to touch the bulb. Not touching the bulb is very important so try to avoid it. Definitely use gloves, dont use bare hands. Touching with gloves may be ok (I will have to see how long mine last)
- Place the bulb into its socket, wiggle it around to make sure the holding pins arent in the way or the gray plastic cap is not in the way.
- Try to push the holding pins back into place. Basically you have to press them in one direction and then in another and they will lock into place. Try to move the bulb around and it should not move. Also look into the headlight from the front and make sure the bulb is aligned in the center. I had to work on this for the first bulb. Finally everything snapped into place.
- Place the gray cap back on. Press it until its all the way in with the seal, and then twist to lock it. Place the connector back.

If it looks tough just find a mechanic to do it. Make sure they wear new gloves. If they touch the bulb with no gloves, it can burn out prematurely.

Cool facts about the HID bulb. It takes 20K volts to start it and 80-90 volts to keep it running. No filament. Its an arc. There's some chemicals and gases in the bulb. The bulb itself is really small. Its amazing how small it is and the amount of light it gives. HID lasts longer than filament bulbs.
Old 09-04-17, 01:04 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Holy thread revival, Batman!

9 3/4 years is a record for this forum I think?
\
I totally understand, and appreciate, the desire to pass on useful information and save people wasted time; It's a good thing and at the core of what makes these forums useful and productive.

But once a threat is dead more than six months or so, just start a new thread with "how to do a headlight swap, 4ES 2002+" or similar. It saves a lot of time for readers and future searchers. Otherwise, thank you for your useful comment, sincerely.

I used to mod at Toyotanation.com, where there were more mods (from what I could tell), and mods would calve-off posts like this and do the above; I would hope this forum would add more mods to help keep it up to current standards because it is (woefully) behind in that kind of careful curating.
Old 09-11-17, 03:40 AM
alan311
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oro
Holy thread revival, Batman!

9 3/4 years is a record for this forum I think?
\
I totally understand, and appreciate, the desire to pass on useful information and save people wasted time; It's a good thing and at the core of what makes these forums useful and productive.

But once a threat is dead more than six months or so, just start a new thread with "how to do a headlight swap, 4ES 2002+" or similar. It saves a lot of time for readers and future searchers. Otherwise, thank you for your useful comment, sincerely.

I used to mod at Toyotanation.com, where there were more mods (from what I could tell), and mods would calve-off posts like this and do the above; I would hope this forum would add more mods to help keep it up to current standards because it is (woefully) behind in that kind of careful curating.
I know about the issue of reviving an old thread but in this case people still own these cars and changing of the headlight is going to be the same procedure whether its today or 10/15 years ago.
It actually keeps a forum cleaner if one thread contains the same information instead of being in multiple threads. The person who needs the info can find the information in the same thread instead of finding one thread and having to search for more because they didnt find the required information. What actually would be better would be a car repair wiki but this is all they have right now.