Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

UAW strike

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-19, 07:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,511 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Several automotive magazines are HQ'ed in Michigan, especially in Ann Arbor......why, I have no idea, ...
Seems pretty obvious those magazine companies wanted to be close to the ‘big 3’ auto makers and suppliers to get lots of info to write about. Now not only is that largely pointless, but so are magazines as all the action is on podcasts, videos, blogs, and forums.
Old 10-20-19, 07:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Back to the uaw strike, when is the ratification vote?
Old 10-20-19, 07:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Seems pretty obvious those magazine companies wanted to be close to the ‘big 3’ auto makers and suppliers to get lots of info to write about.
Well, although I said I have no idea, that was my (partial) assumption, too.....being close to Detroit. Except that they constantly complain about the Michigan roads.......can't have it both ways.

Anyhow, you can appreciate those glass-smooth roads in the Deep South. It is simply one of the benefits of living there. Here in the D.C. area, it is a combination of some very good roads and some awful ones.

Back to the strike, Hamtramck might not be permanently closed after all. GM might convert it to Electric Hummer production.
Old 10-21-19, 06:00 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are you taking taxes into account? Most of the Rust belt states have traditionally high taxes, though not as high as, say, California, New York, or Massachusetts. That is one thing that separates them from the southern states, and one reason why newer plants have tended to be further south. Running a business involves a lot more than just labor costs.
I did not factor taxes into my joke about purchasing a home in Detroit. And since we're picking nits, I was exaggerating. I only have a couple hundred bucks in my wallet, not the $1200-1500 it would actually take to buy a house. But you (hopefully) get my point.

That said, a quick Googling suggests that Michigan's property taxes are about double SC's, while SC's sales taxes are about double Michigan's. So I'll call that a wash. Certainly not something that would necessitate a 25% increase in labor costs. As for your last sentence, what it costs to operate a plant is completely irrelevant when discussing the employees' cost of living.
Old 10-21-19, 11:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,923 Posts

Thx. Never heard of anyone taking them early. I believe normal age is 62 with no restrictions. If you wait to 67 you get about 25% more (but lost 5 years of payments).
It depends on when you were born. My mother is 72 and she was able to take them with no restrictions at 66. She could have taken them at 62 but she would have had to largely give all of it back because she was still working.

If you were born before 1955 you get them at 66 years and 2 months, if you were born between 1955 and 1960 it slides up to 67 and everybody after 1960 is 67 (for now).

Taking them early would depend on your need for the income.
Old 10-22-19, 08:28 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 210 Posts

Voting update:

Saginaw was the first plant to vote. Production workers were 75% in favor, skilled trades 73%: https://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw-b...otes-next.html

Warren Technical Center was 81% for production and 85% for skilled trades, 84% overall.

If the remainder of the votes are this overwhelming, it seems GM offered too many concessions.
Old 10-22-19, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

In this video, Jim Lentz, Chief of Toyota North America, gives his view on the strike and the state of the industry.

Old 10-22-19, 06:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Quite surprised the Toyota US leader is talking about this. My guess is the GM strike is sagging everyone as per confidence

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-22-19 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-22-19, 08:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

He’s smart and knows gm back to work is good for all brands.
Old 10-22-19, 08:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

yeah. Quite true.
Old 10-22-19, 09:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Not only that, but Toyota, even with non-UAW membership, tends to treat its employees better than GM or Ford........job security, for one thing, is an important issue with the company.
Old 10-23-19, 10:21 AM
Hayek
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

English is not my native language, so forgive me for any mistakes or typos, but surely you guys can't be so blind to not realise what's happening here again, right? It's the same story happening again! The UAW extorted GM for too long, GM nearly went belly up and asked for a bailout in 2009, which they got it and kept the UAW happy. But like the mafia, the UAW kept extorting GM and now that the money is about to end, GM will soon ask for another bailout. Prepare to bail GM out again, Americans!

Blame it on their spineless management who kept being the UAW's favourite suka.
Old 10-23-19, 11:40 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,780 Likes on 2,353 Posts

GM did go belly up the corporation you see now is the same in name only. Same old stupid decisions yes, but a different company.
Old 10-23-19, 11:49 AM
Hayek
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

GM is addicted to corporate welfare. They want more taxpayers' money.
Old 10-23-19, 11:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hayek
English is not my native language, so forgive me for any mistakes or typos, but surely you guys can't be so blind to not realise what's happening here again, right? It's the same story happening again! The UAW extorted GM for too long, GM nearly went belly up and asked for a bailout in 2009, which they got it and kept the UAW happy. But like the mafia, the UAW kept extorting GM and now that the money is about to end, GM will soon ask for another bailout. Prepare to bail GM out again, Americans!

Blame it on their spineless management who kept being the UAW's favourite suka.
No. With all due respect, you are way off track. It is not a matter of UAW extortion...in fact, it's close, in some ways, to being exactly the opposite. UAW money, in the 2008-2009 buyout, actually helped to save GM from bankruptcy....they put up part of the package, along with the government, taxpayers, and bondholders. All they asked for, during a time of high GM profits now, was some concessions in return......concessions which GM not only refused, but rewarded the UAW (and their sedan customers) by shutting down several plants, throwing tens of thousands out of work, and removing those vehicles out of the U.S. market. Absolutely outrageous...and IMO the strike was more than deserved. What's more, GM's reputation, among not only the UAW but the general public as well, has been seriously damaged....they are going to lose business from a lot of angry people. The Silverado, their (former) best seller, has already been the first victim (now bumped down into third place behind the F-150 and Ram 1500)...although some of that is also the excellence of the new Ram itself.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-23-19 at 12:08 PM.

Quick Reply: UAW strike