Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealerships making their own packages

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-19, 03:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Dealerships making their own packages

Ohio Dealership

This build is based-off the F-150, and the dealer formally named it the 2019 Retro BFP F-150. The whole idea here is to sell a truck that reminds folks of the styling from the 1970s and 1980s.

Beechmont says it starts with a Satin Pearl white wrap over whatever paint color you choose from the factory. This wrap is the major key to the entire look. A 3.5-inch Ready lift kit helps fit big 35-inch BF Goodrich K02 off-road tires. Those new tires are wrapping 17-inch Mickey Thompson wheels, too. Additionally, the dealer adds a Roush cat-back exhaust with the 5.0-liter V8.

Another great appearance aspect to the truck is the bed rack with KC lights attached. Beechmont recommends you order your F-150 with the XLT or Lariat Chrome Package to get the best retro effect. If you want something even more than what’s offered in the standard package, the dealer will also let you choose between a Roush supercharger or a Whipple supercharger to liven up that V8. The Drive reported that the package without the supercharger is $9,995 on top of the price of the truck.
Source
Old 07-17-19, 03:07 PM
Hoovey689

Default Ford Ranger gets Raptor-like package from Kansas dealership

Unlike the Ford F-150, the Ford Ranger cannot be ordered in Raptor form here in the U.S., so enthusiasts are doing what enthusiasts always do: building their own. Spotted by Muscle Cars and Trucks, a dealership in Kansas has created the "Baja" off-road package that adds tons of rugged bits and makes the vehicle a Raptor lookalike.

Dealerships are known to do all sorts of customizations in order to meet their customers' wants and needs. Just recently, we've seen a custom Buick Enclave Woody and a Jeep Gladiator Honcho Edition. But Long McArthur Ford's mission with the Ranger Baja is less about nostalgia and more about modern style and functionality.

Long McArthur, located in central Kansas, has previously built off-road packages for its other F-Series vehicles. But this Baja package is all-new, and the dealership plans to have a total stock of six vehicles. All of these vehicles are built on the Ranger XLT SuperCrew 4x4 with the 302A equipment group, which adds the eight-way power driver and passenger heated seats, a manual sliding rear window, remote start, and the sport appearance package. These trucks also start with the FX4 off-road package.

On top of that, the Baja package adds a huge number of visual and performance upgrades. Improving the truck's capabilities, the Baja has a Pro-Comp two-inch front suspension lift, a rear shock upgrade, 18-inch Fuel Tactic off-road wheels, 33-inch Toyo all-terrain tires, and a Ford Performance off-road kit. A new Raptor-like grille, painted fender flares, an Addictive Desert Design chase rack, black Ford OEM running boards, a Baja black exhaust tip all add stylistic flair. "Ranger Baja" side, hood, and tailgate graphics complete the look.

Right now, there are two Bajas available on McArthur's website: an Oxford White example and a Lightning Blue Metallic example. The Baja Package, which comes with a three-year/36,000-mile warranty, costs $10,095, which puts these truck at about $50,000 total. The blue truck is slightly more expensive because it also has a $595 MagnaFlow exhaust.
Source
Old 07-17-19, 03:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,407 Posts

The whole idea here is to sell a truck that reminds folks of the styling from the 1970s and 1980s.

aka the "Starsky and Hutch F-150"

Old 07-17-19, 04:13 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The worst thing you can buy, they mark up these packages like crazy. Lexus dealership near me had a dealer blacked out and matte Wrapped IS350 selling for $70,000. Nobody bought it.
Old 07-17-19, 04:22 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Kense
The worst thing you can buy, they mark up these packages like crazy. Lexus dealership near me had a dealer blacked out and matte Wrapped IS350 selling for $70,000. Nobody bought it.
That's far worse than these dealers. At least they are making the trucks not only nostalgic but more capable with the larger tires and different suspensions. That IS is simply a matte wrap
Old 07-17-19, 04:24 PM
ronmaiden
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This has been going on for quite a while. The Ford and Toyota dealers I frequented were doing this in the 90s.
Old 07-17-19, 04:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmaiden
The Ford and Toyota dealers I frequented were doing this in the 90s.
Dash cams already installed are popular now at Toyota dealers in my area..
Old 07-17-19, 04:48 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Dash cams already installed are popular now at Toyota dealers in my area..
That's a good one. Common straight from the factory in Japan. I think the Corvette here also offers it. But great feature especially for insurance.
Old 07-18-19, 06:56 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Gulf States and Southeast Toyota are both huge distributors that essentially build up their own grades and packages.
Old 07-18-19, 08:41 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by pbm317
Gulf States and Southeast Toyota are both huge distributors that essentially build up their own grades and packages.
Feel free to share them here when you see one worth mentioning
Old 07-18-19, 08:47 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 416 Likes on 343 Posts

The dealership I work at will throw on some aftermarket wheels and tint on cars. They usually have a crazy high markup and you only get the aftermarket wheels. We keep the stock wheels unless you request them. Total ripoff but I’ve seen much worse at other dealerships.
Old 07-18-19, 09:12 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Kira X
The dealership I work at will throw on some aftermarket wheels and tint on cars. They usually have a crazy high markup and you only get the aftermarket wheels. We keep the stock wheels unless you request them. Total ripoff but I’ve seen much worse at other dealerships.
Yeah that's not cool. But I do like when they give it a cool 'package name' like Baja
Old 07-18-19, 09:53 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 416 Likes on 343 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yeah that's not cool. But I do like when they give it a cool 'package name' like Baja
I never realized it until a customer who bought an LC500 with Vossens on it came back to pick up the factory wheels. I don’t think people realize they should be getting both sets.

I do like the ones posted in this thread. They seem pretty cool. The Ford/Lincoln dealership next door has some crazy nice modded F-150’s and Navigators for sale.
Old 07-23-19, 11:20 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Feel free to share them here when you see one worth mentioning
The one I find the most common is the Tundra TSS (Toyota Sport Series) which is delivered by Gulf States Toyota who, according to Tundra Forums, has 154 dealerships across 5 states. TSS is a cosmetic package that adds:
-20" Milled Matte Black Wheels and All-Terrain Tire Upgrade (replaces factory wheels and tires)
-5" Black Oval Step Tube
-Black Exhaust Tip
-All-weather floor liners
-TSS Off-Road Bed Decal
-Matte Black badge overlays

Consensus on Tundra forums is the TRD package is an actual off-road package, and thus the better buy. TSS won't get you more on trade-in or add value to your car other than looks.

Old 07-23-19, 11:23 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Wandl
The one I find the most common is the Tundra TSS (Toyota Sport Series) which is delivered by Gulf States Toyota who, according to Tundra Forums, has 154 dealerships across 5 states. TSS is a cosmetic package that adds:
-20" Milled Matte Black Wheels and All-Terrain Tire Upgrade (replaces factory wheels and tires)
-5" Black Oval Step Tube
-Black Exhaust Tip
-All-weather floor liners
-TSS Off-Road Bed Decal
-Matte Black badge overlays

Consensus on Tundra forums is the TRD package is an actual off-road package, and thus the better buy. TSS won't get you more on trade-in or add value to your car other than looks.
Wow, great Wandl, thanks for sharing. It does look a bit like a TRD. I like the name TSS, though if it really was 'Sport Series', I'd like to see the TRD supercharger

Quick Reply: Dealerships making their own packages