Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 2020 Chrysler Voyager...

Old 06-27-19, 09:54 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default The 2020 Chrysler Voyager...

... is a cheap Pacifica minivan

FCA is leaning hard on the nostalgia button right now, and the age-old minivan nameplate has rowed its way back from its long voyage (sorry) out to sea.

We'll be seeing the Voyager name on a familiar vehicle, though, not a totally new minivan. You're looking at photos of a Pacifica with a Voyager badge on it, because that's essentially what the new Voyager is. Chrysler took the lower trim levels of the Pacifica and decided those would now be Voyagers. Higher trim levels of the Pacifica are still the Pacifica. To quell confusion, just consider the Voyager a budget-conscious Pacifica with a different name.

Specifically, both the L and LX trims of Pacifica will be Voyagers, and Chrysler is introducing a fleet-only LXi model with a leatherette (vinyl) interior for mass appeal to rental car companies and businesses with similar needs. Pricing for the 2020 Voyager hasn't been announced yet, but the non-fleet version will probably start right around where the Pacifica L starts now at $28,730. That makes this more of a marketing play than an actual reduction in price. The Voyager is the cheap one, while the Pacifica is the expensive one. Simple as that.

Interestingly, FCA still sells significantly more Dodge Grand Caravans than they do Pacificas every month, and it's all down to price. Despite the Pacifica being leagues better than the old Dodge, the average transaction price for the Pacifica in 2019 is over $13,000 more than a Grand Caravan— $38,540 for the Pacifica, versus $24,972 for the Grand Caravan. That makes the Dodge much cheaper than any comparably sized vehicle it competes with and results in the Dodge doubling the Pacifica up on sales regularly. Maybe the introduction of the Voyager could sway some folks in the direction of the new car, rather than being turned off by the high prices of the Pacifica.

The feature set for the Voyager is similar to that of the Pacifica-badged models it's replacing. You'll only be able to tell it's a Voyager on the outside from the badge on the liftgate. Chrysler added satellite radio, second-row quad seats and in-floor storage bins to the interior. You'll still get the same Pentastar 3.6-liter V6 and nine-speed automatic transmission in the Voyager, but no plug-in hybrid model will be available.
Source
Old 06-27-19, 10:25 AM
Hoovey689

Voyager would have been the perfect name for a Chrysler badged crossover
Old 06-27-19, 10:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Voyager would have been the perfect name for a Chrysler badged crossover
i believe voyager was the name of the minivan in the now defunct plymouth brand?

but yeah i don't get selling variations of the same model under the same brand with different names!
Old 06-27-19, 10:42 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i believe voyager was the name of the minivan in the now defunct plymouth brand?

but yeah i don't get selling variations of the same model under the same brand with different names!
Yup, the Plymouth Voyager from the 90s. There was also a Grand Voyager. The Voyager was marketed as a lower trim version of the Chrysler Town & Country (similar to what is about to happen for 2020), and of course the third sibling was the Dodge Caravan and Grand Caravan.

Chrysler for years has been talking about adding a CUV to their line-up, and IMO this would have been a good opportunity and use of name. Oh well
Old 06-27-19, 10:59 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

OEMs have been trying these types of tactics to help protect resale value/residuals for certain models. In this case, it would seem that they're trying to preserve some "premiumness" of the Pacifica, and pump these Voyagers with likely high incentives into rental fleets etc. I know the Grand Caravan still fills that role, but maybe they're preparing to wind the Grand Caravan down.

In the end, it might protect Pacifica values a little bit, but not much overall.
Old 06-27-19, 11:01 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
OEMs have been trying these types of tactics to help protect resale value/residuals for certain models. In this case, it would seem that they're trying to preserve some "premiumness" of the Pacifica, and pump these Voyagers with likely high incentives into rental fleets etc. I know the Grand Caravan still fills that role, but maybe they're preparing to wind the Grand Caravan down.

In the end, it might protect Pacifica values a little bit, but not much overall.
Great point! I had a GC as a rental after someone stole the Pacifica I had previously confirmed on the app (thanks Avis) and it drives about as old as it looks. The Pacifica is nice and was a close second before I got the Ody for the magic slide seats
Old 06-27-19, 12:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Never mind the 90s. Voyager was also the name of the original Plymouth version of the 80s-vintage minivan....that was before the Chrysler Division entered the picture with its upscale Town & Country version. The (fake) wood-paneling on both the Voyager and Caravan was a popular option.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-27-19 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-27-19, 12:08 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Translation: "Need to pump up sales, so we will change the name, cause some public confusion, and disguise a old model to spark interest."
Old 06-27-19, 01:23 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Back in the late 90's my parents had a 93 Plymouth Voyager. It had a 4 banger and a manual transmission and not very much power.
Old 06-27-19, 02:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Back in the late 90's my parents had a 93 Plymouth Voyager. It had a 4 banger and a manual transmission and not very much power.

I personally think it was a mistake to put a non-turbo four in a vehicle designed for up to seven people. Too much weight....too little power. And, as for transmissions, though it probably didn't affect your vehicle with the MT, one of the reasons why the automatic transmissions in the Chrysler minivans kept failing...they were essentially units designed for sedans.
Old 06-28-19, 06:45 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
The Pacifica is nice and was a close second before I got the Ody for the magic slide seats
Haha the slide seats are one of the main reasons we got the Odyssey over the Pacifica as well. My parents have a Pacifica, but they utilize the stow and go 2nd row daily with their deliveries. We had little need to stow the 2nd row, and the function of sliding the middle row laterally with car seats installed was more enticing.
Old 06-28-19, 07:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I've mentioned this before, but one thing I'd like to see come back in the Chrysler minivans (and in other vehicles, for that matter) are the integrated, pull-down child seats built into the back seat itself. A single click of the harness system safely buckles Junior in. It was an absolutely ingenious idea, simple and convenient for parents, and, best of all, DOT-approved for safety. As I understand it, the main reason they cancelled that feature is that they had to redesign the seats for the Stow-and-Go feature....the Stow and Go underfloor-retraction feature also affected the availability of AWD, which, now, is only available in Toyota Siennas.

IMO, the integrated seat in those older minivans ranked up wth the Mazda Miata's ingenious manual-top lowering for simplicity, ease-of use, and convenience.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-28-19 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-28-19, 11:20 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I personally think it was a mistake to put a non-turbo four in a vehicle designed for up to seven people. Too much weight....too little power. And, as for transmissions, though it probably didn't affect your vehicle with the MT, one of the reasons why the automatic transmissions in the Chrysler minivans kept failing...they were essentially units designed for sedans.
In 1993, you would not have wanted a turbo engine if you intended to keep your car more than 50K miles--probably a lot less if it was produced by Chrysler.
Old 06-28-19, 11:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've mentioned this before, but one thing I'd like to see come back in the Chrysler minivans (and in other vehicles, for that matter) are the integrated, pull-down child seats built into the back seat itself. A single click of the harness system safely buckles Junior in. It was an absolutely ingenious idea, simple and convenient for parents, and, best of all, DOT-approved for safety. As I understand it, the main reason they cancelled that feature is that they had to redesign the seats for the Stow-and-Go feature....the Stow and Go underfloor-retraction feature also affected the availability of AWD, which, now, is only available in Toyota Siennas.

IMO, the integrated seat in those older minivans ranked up wth the Mazda Miata's ingenious manual-top lowering for simplicity, ease-of use, and convenience.

And each time you post this, you are educated by a member here that you will never see this again, because it doesn't come anywhere close to meeting current safety standards. It may have met DOT standards then, but it doesn't now. If it did, there are 1000s of other cars on the market that don't have Stow n Go seats where a feature like this could be installed. But it won't be, because it doesn't meet safety standards.

Let it go, man.

Last edited by tex2670; 06-28-19 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-28-19, 12:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I've mentioned this before, but one thing I'd like to see come back in the Chrysler minivans (and in other vehicles, for that matter) are the integrated, pull-down child seats built into the back seat itself. ...
Agreeing with post before this one... but the reason it won’t come back is the ‘integrated child seat’ sucked.
It looks completely inadequate compared to today’s ‘cocoon’ type seats.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The 2020 Chrysler Voyager...