Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 2020 Chrysler Voyager...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-19, 01:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Dodge is to Chrysler as Chevy is to Buick
Old 07-15-19, 01:49 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

From a marketing perspective, I can see the logic here. All of those years of huge Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler minivan sales, and the Town & Country was always the most expensive version. Perhaps Chrysler fears that they are losing perspective buyers because the T&C was always the expensive one, and those customers aren't realizing it's different now.
Old 07-15-19, 02:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
From a marketing perspective, I can see the logic here. All of those years of huge Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler minivan sales, and the Town & Country was always the most expensive version. Perhaps Chrysler fears that they are losing perspective buyers because the T&C was always the expensive one, and those customers aren't realizing it's different now.
There is big heritage in the name...plus, I read a while back that Pacifica sales have tanked.. so maybe brings some life to the product.
Old 07-15-19, 03:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Dodge is to Chrysler as Chevy is to Buick

Yes, that's correct. That was also the (former) case with Ford and Mercury.

This is not the first time, though, that the upmarket Chrysler badge ended up on some not-so-upmarket vehicles.....we saw it a couple of times in the past on vehicles that had been formerly marketed by Plymouth, but carried on under the Chrysler name after Plymouth's demise in 2001.
Old 07-16-19, 05:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Just in the area of customer confusion.
Brought to you by the people who decided to ditch the famous minivan Town & Country name to name the Pacifica after a easily forgotten terrible two row wagon thing they made for a few years lol
Old 07-16-19, 06:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Chrysler as a brand today, is worthless. 2 vehicles (300, Pacifica) - lol

not saying i don’t respect those models! pacifica has many wonderful features and innovations. the 300 is an ancient tank, but a pretty refined one!
Old 07-16-19, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Brought to you by the people who decided to ditch the famous minivan Town & Country name to name the Pacifica after a easily forgotten terrible two row wagon thing they made for a few years lol
The T&C name actually goes back to 1940....and real wood was used on the sides of the body until the early 1950s, when it converted to all-steel with the stick-on paneling.

You are probably already aware of this, but the Pacifica name was first used, not on a minivan, but on a FWD/AWD Chrysler people-mover that, like the smaller Mazda5, had unique 2+2+2 seating and conventional swing-open doors. Mercedes also marketed a similar RWD/AWD vehicle in the R-Class. The Voyager name, of course, came from the original downmarket Plymouth minivan......as mentioned in an earlier post, Chrysler's upmarket image took somewhat of a hit by adopting that and some other Plymouth names.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-16-19 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-16-19, 06:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I truly don't understand why Chrysler exists...they have to have some demo data that shows them being a Dodge would hurt Pacifica sales.

As for the 2+2+2 vehicle mentioned above, that would be the "terrible 2 row wagon" I referred to. I forgot it even had a third row.
Old 07-16-19, 06:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

they need to bring back Corinthian Leather

Old 07-16-19, 06:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Those leathers and finishes were so much better than the stuff they use today. Cheap crap today.
Old 07-16-19, 06:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Those leathers and finishes were so much better than the stuff they use today. Cheap crap today.
They really werent lol. They cracked and disintegrated after a couple of years...we had them. My dad had a 1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue with "Corinthian leather" when he traded it in at the end of the 3 year lease the leather was shot. Same with his 1990 Lincoln Continental, leather was cracked and shot after 4-5 years. Compared to leathers today that are much more durable.
Old 07-16-19, 06:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I can't say for sure , but I suspect that the famous James Sloyan (Mr. Lexus) ads of the early 1990s with the smooth-talking voice (which we discussed in other threads), were inspired by those Ricardo Montalban ads some 15 years before, in the late 1970s. I also thought that the Connally leather used in the Jaguars of that period would put the Corinthian leather to shame.

Today, however, unlike the 1970s, we have superb leather-substitutes....and one of the best is from Lexus itself, with the NuLuxe. Society, in general, is also more aware of the plight of animals...but that gets off into another area, and I won't dwell on it here.
Old 07-16-19, 07:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.

Despite the exotic origin suggested by the name "Corinthian leather", much of the leather used in Chrysler vehicles during the era originated from a supplier located outside Newark, New Jersey.[7]

Some sources say the term refers to the combination of leather seating surfaces and vinyl seat sides.[8][9] However, most cars worldwide with "leather upholstery" have matching color vinyl seat bases and often the rear faces of the front seats, the head rests, and the door facings. The standard term in period car catalogs was "leather with vinyl", and sometimes "leather seat facings". When Montalban was asked by David Letterman on Late Night with David Lettermanwhat the term meant, the actor playfully admitted that the term meant nothing.[10]. Also, the term has been used in the entertainment industry, said by actor Ryan Reynolds in the movie including himself as Wade Wilson in Deadpool.[11]

The term Corinthian Leather was used on an episode of the Golden Girls (Season 5, Episode 4) when Blanche (Rue McClanahan) said, "I'd like to get him on a couch made out of Corinthian leather." [12]
Old 07-16-19, 07:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Steve brings up a valid point, though. Back then, some grades of leather often did dry out and crack after a few years unless you religiously applied Armor-All or some other leather/vinyl protectorate....and most of us have better things to do with our spare time than to spend it wiping car seats all afternoon.

You yourself had a Lexus CT. I know you didn't like the car itself (you've mentioned that before)...but I'm sure you'll agree that the NuLuxe leather substitute (which, I believe, was first introduced on the CT) is one of the best leather-subs that ever came down the pike.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-16-19 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-16-19, 07:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Steve brings up a valid point, though. Back then, some grades of leather often did dry out and crack after a few years unless you religiously applied Armor-All or some other leather/vinyl protectorate....and most of us have better things to do with our spare time than to spend it wiping car seats all afternoon.

You yourself had a Lexus CT. I know you didn't like the car itself (you've mentioned that before)...but I'm sure you'll agree that the NuLuxe leather substitute (which, I believe, was first introduced on the CT) is one of the best leather-subs that ever came down the pike.
My CT had fake leather.

Quick Reply: The 2020 Chrysler Voyager...