Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 RAV4 vs NX

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-19, 09:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I test drove a CR-V last week. There's no way that interior is "best in class". We went back to back to back with a CX-5 Signature and a Santa Fe Ultimate (admittedly bigger than this class--a bit of a Tweener). The CR-V was a distant third--and we drove the Touring model; halfway through the test drive we ruled it out. The materials were not up to par with the other 2, nor was road and engine noise. The CX-5's interior is IMO best in class. I thought the CX-5 had stop/start because you couldn't hear the engine idling at stop lights.

Don't get me wrong, the CR-V is solid. But no way is it "best". I didn't drive the RAV-4, so I can't give an assessment as to the CR-V interior compared to RAV-4.
I you think the CR-V is lacking inside, have you seen the base version of the RAV-4? Its interior, though admittedly somewhat better-styled than the previous generation, reminds one almost of cardboard.
Old 06-16-19, 09:29 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I you think the CR-V is lacking inside, have you seen the base version of the RAV-4? Its interior, though admittedly somewhat better-styled than the previous generation, reminds one almost of cardboard.
No, because I would never get the base version of the RAV4. The Limited is really nice inside, and that is the version I would consider if I wanted a RAV4; which is what would be more comparable to the CR-V Touring I drove. And I also didn't look at the CR-V LX, so I have no idea how that interior stacks up either.

We get it--you don't like the RAV4 base version.
Old 06-16-19, 10:08 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,699 Likes on 2,285 Posts

We get it--you don't like the RAV4 base version.
I get the distinct feeling he hates Toyota in general.
Old 06-16-19, 11:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

No, because I would never get the base version of the RAV4. The Limited is really nice inside, .
A base Rav4 is definitely not the car to compare against the NX. Naturally a loaded Rav4 and a base or some optioned out NX. I am for sure not a fan of the base RAV4, but it is just not the car to discuss when talking a comparison of the Rav4

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-16-19 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-16-19, 01:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

oops, maybe cr-v not tops in sales, but was basing it on ratings... and i see the cr-v and cx5 are tied for first.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...s/compact-suvs
Old 06-16-19, 02:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
oops, maybe cr-v not tops in sales, but was basing it on ratings... and i see the cr-v and cx5 are tied for first.
True, but one of the points (among several) that was being discussed in the thread is why or how the RAV-4 got the numbers it did.....whether it included fleet-sales or not. Even without fleet-sales, it is obvious that this is an extremely popular vehicle, and that many people are attracted to it like a magnet.
Old 06-16-19, 05:11 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
A base Rav4 is definitely not the car to compare against the NX. Naturally a loaded Rav4 and a base or some optioned out NX. I am for sure not a fan of the base RAV4, but it is just not the car to discuss when talking a comparison of the Rav4
Right. I'd definitely lean toward a RAV4 Limited vs a new NX. But I'd probably go 3-year old well-equipped NX vs RAV4 LE or even XLE.
Old 06-17-19, 07:22 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

The new RAV4 is quite disappointing to be honest. I was expecting a bit more in terms of refinement. From all the youtube videos, that thing is noisy and the loud engine doesnt help either.
Old 06-18-19, 07:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I spent the yesterday with my parents' RAV4. I put a ceramic coating on it.

I continue to be impressed by this car. I have not checked out the lower trim levels, only my parents' RAV4, which is a Limited Hybrid.

Here are a few more observations:

- Interior is just a massive improvement over the outgoing model. Feels substantially larger and more interesting design. Nice touches all over the place.
- Headlights turn on when the wipers are on. Finally, Toyota.
- Love all of the cameras, especially the rearview mirror.
- All 4 doors have exterior door lock sensors, and all 4 windows are one touch up/down.
- If you are using the HVAC in recirculation mode, it will open the vents to fresh air when you turn the car off. Should help to prevent musty smells.
- First Toyota where I have noticed that they include an S Flow mode on HVAC. Could just be that I am unaware, though. I'd only previously seen it with Lexus.
- As with most (all?) new Toyota Hybrids, the sound it makes while in reverse is horrendous. Absolutely awful. Sounds like it's going to explode.
- Disappointed that they gave it halogen fog lights, which look incredibly yellow next to the bright white LED headlights.
- Seats are super comfortable.
- Rear storage area is huge.

They are up to almost 1k miles on it and have only filled it up with gas twice. They are averaging 43 mpg, beating the EPA estimate. They are very happy with it.
Old 06-18-19, 07:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Even without that feature, the DRLs are on continuously anyway, as long as the transmission is in gear. In a number of years, I have never had a cop say anything to me about the DRLs not satisfying the headlights-on-with-wiper law...neither has anyone else I know.

- If you are using the HVAC in recirculation mode, it will open the vents to fresh air when you turn the car off. Should help to prevent musty smells.
From what I can tell, most vehicles do that anyway when the climate-system is turned off.

- Disappointed that they gave it halogen fog lights, which look incredibly yellow next to the bright white LED headlights.
I'd rather have the halogens. They give me all the light at night I need, even in dark/unlit areas, and are a lot easier and cheaper to replace than the newer, more exotic systems.

They are up to almost 1k miles on it and have only filled it up with gas twice. They are averaging 43 mpg, beating the EPA estimate. They are very happy with it.
43 MPG does sound good. Is it a plug-in Hybrid? A plug-in, of course, minimizes the need for the gas engine to run for battery-recharging.
Old 06-18-19, 07:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

I continue to be impressed by this car. I have not checked out the lower trim levels, only my parents' RAV4, which is a Limited Hybrid.

- Interior is just a massive improvement over the outgoing model. Feels substantially larger and more interesting design. Nice touches all over the place.
- All 4 doors have exterior door lock sensors, and all 4 windows are one touch up/down.
- First Toyota where I have noticed that they include an S Flow mode on HVAC. Could just be that I am unaware, though. I'd only previously seen it with Lexus.
- As with most (all?) new Toyota Hybrids, the sound it makes while in reverse is horrendous. Absolutely awful. Sounds like it's going to explode.

Thanks--great info.

Any feedback on engine refinement? The gas version has taken a lot of flak for being noisy and unrefined; but I have not yet seen a full road review on the hybrid version to see if this complaint applies as well.
Old 06-18-19, 08:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Even without that feature, the DRLs are on continuously anyway, as long as the transmission is in gear. In a number of years, I have never had a cop say anything to me about the DRLs not satisfying the headlights-on-with-wiper law...neither has anyone else I know.
Be real; no cop is going to pull you over and get rained on because you don't have your headlights on. During the day, I agree that DRLs are enough to make your car more visible in rain/down pours. But your tail lights are not on if you only rely on DRLs; so headlights should be on in rain, snow, fog.

Last edited by tex2670; 06-18-19 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-18-19, 08:02 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Yes, DRLs are still on, but they do nothing to add visibility at the rear of the car. I like to have my lights on in the rain because it also turns on the tails. In rainy conditions, I want the car behind me to see me as early as possible.
From what I can tell, most vehicles do that anyway when the climate-system is turned off.
Interesting. I've never seen this on another car. My GS and Highlander do not do it.

I'd rather have the halogens. They give me all the light at night I need, even in dark/unlit areas, and are a lot easier and cheaper to replace than the newer, more exotic systems.
We'll disagree on that. The halogens don't put out much light and will very possibly need replacement at some point. LEDs can easily last the life of the car.

43 MPG does sound good. Is it a plug-in Hybrid? A plug-in, of course, minimizes the need for the gas engine to run for battery-recharging.
Nope, just a regular hybrid.
Old 06-18-19, 08:42 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,699 Likes on 2,285 Posts

Fog lamps are supposed to be yellow the more blue you get the less visibility. As for Toyota using halogens I find this inexcusable but should be an easy LED upgrade.
That's fantastic.
Old 06-18-19, 09:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

What is S Flow for the HVAC?

Quick Reply: 2019 RAV4 vs NX